Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Eggs in cholent
1  2  Next

Hashemlovesme1

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:31 pm
How do you put eggs in the cholent? Hard boiled or raw? Wrapped in foil or something else or just put in with cholent?

patientmom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:41 pm
I do hard boiled, but raw works just fine too, and I put it straight in the chulent

user2

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:49 pm
I like putting cooked peeled eggs in. (as kids we always fought over the "window"- hard, dark brown spot which happens to spots sticking out on top)

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:52 pm
I put raw eggs on top of the whole thing raw when I put in in the crock pot. It works just fine for me.

rising hero

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 8:01 pm
I put the raw eggs in the chulent without wrapping it in anything. It comes out great. We love it.

happy2Bamommy

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:43 pm
My children refuse to eat eggs on shabbos only if they are brown from the cholent. They absolutely love them!!
I put it into the pot together with the other ingredients cooked and peeled.

Peanuts

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:05 pm
do the eggs get overcooked?

sped

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:48 pm
Is cholent overcooked?

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:46 am
I put into the chulent raw. and in mesh bag. I once had where some of the peel came off and I found it floating in chulent. uch. so I this minimizes this. we loooooooooooooooove it. no you dont have to cook or peel it before. make life easy just put in the cooked chulent right before shabbos. and take out the bag with eggs and voila, warm yummy eggs. love it.

raindrop

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:56 am
Did you ever put raw, open eggs (as in poached eggs)on top of the cholent? I wonder how that would come out.

Cookie Monster

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:14 am
I put raw eggs in the cholent. My kids love it that way.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 5:40 am
You can add either raw or hard boiled eggs to chulent before it starts bubbling, but if you take a cold raw egg from the fridge and put it into a boiling chulent the egg will crack open. Another alternative is to let the egg warm to room temp before adding it to bubbling chulent. DH likes chulent eggs. I do not.

pause

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 7:38 am
Once the chulent finished cooking on Thursday, while it's still warm, I add raw eggs straight into the pot. Then they continue to cook Friday night.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 7:45 am
I add them raw, right before the zman and never had cracking issues. I make sure to run it under hot water before I put it into the chulent, so if there are any existing cracks it will show, and then I don't use it.
I know some people use a mesh bag for easier, more efficient retrieval.

married2020

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 8:07 am
I put them in raw

tovasara

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:33 am
There isn't an issue about blood spots?

joyful mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:34 am
I put in cooked eggs but never tried putting in raw...

Liveandlearn

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 9:59 am
I put in raw eggs before the zman while the chulant is still raw and cold, never had it cracked.
I am using a crockpot

pause

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 11:57 am
tovasara wrote:
There isn't an issue about blood spots?
what kind of issue? If you find a blood spot, which btw, I never have, you simply don't eat it.

Bruria

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 4:12 pm
About blood spots, here is useful information: https://oukosher.org/blog/kosh.....pots/

Specifically, this part, where it explains why we cook a minimum of 3 eggs when boiling:

"It is in light of this modern reality that Harav Moshe Feinstein, zt”l, (Igros Moshe, Yoreh Deah 1:36), clarifies that blood spots found in commercially produced eggs do not present any fundamental kosher problem. With respect to fertile eggs in the past, where a significant doubt existed that the blood might represent a new embryo, it was necessary to throw out the entire egg if it had a bloodspot. This is also the reason why a minimum of three eggs were boiled at one time – if one of them had a spot, it would be batel b’rov to the other two."

Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus