Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschool for third grade

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:32 pm
I think I've finally gotten to the point where I need to pull my son out of school. His teacher has it in for him, and only had bad things to say about him when I spoke to her last night. When I tried to say something positive, her response was "that's true, but...." She was unwilling to come up with any ideas to help motivate him, or for alternative ways to test him. The principal already told me that there is no other class to put him in, although I'm not so sure I really believe that....
My problem is that I can't homeschool because I'm not actually home. I'm out of the house from 9:30-4:30. I'm home for an hour from 1:00-2:00, so I can pick him up from school, but I can't do the actual teaching. So what do people do when they are not available (or are not able for any other reason) to teach their kids?

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:39 pm
My mother "homeschooled" me by giving me a lesson plan and textbooks and sitting me down at the dining room table to teach myself.

I strongly recommend against doing that.

I hope you get some helpful ideas.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
I think I've finally gotten to the point where I need to pull my son out of school. His teacher has it in for him, and only had bad things to say about him when I spoke to her last night. When I tried to say something positive, her response was "that's true, but...." She was unwilling to come up with any ideas to help motivate him, or for alternative ways to test him. The principal already told me that there is no other class to put him in, although I'm not so sure I really believe that....
My problem is that I can't homeschool because I'm not actually home. I'm out of the house from 9:30-4:30. I'm home for an hour from 1:00-2:00, so I can pick him up from school, but I can't do the actual teaching. So what do people do when they are not available (or are not able for any other reason) to teach their kids?

I know someone who hired a teacher for her son during school hours. There is a woman who works with him for about an hour on reading/spelling and after a break another woman who teaches him math. This takes place in the school library when the kids are in English class. He is with the boys for Hebrew and goes home on the bus with them. Don't know if you want to pay for a tutor or 2 a few days a week but if you can then it can be done in school.

Obviously you can't home school if you are not at home to work with him.

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 12:57 pm
At this age you could do school in the early evenings, but I don't know if you/your DH/the child has the koach/time to do the school as the day comes to an end. So you could hire a child minder (who could actually supervise some of his work) for the day and then you could come home and teach the subjects that need active teaching before/after dinner. You would have to be very disciplined to make sure your teaching would be done during that crazy part of the day; no dealing with other kids' homework, making dinner, etc.

Hatzlacha in making your decision!

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 1:49 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
At this age you could do school in the early evenings, but I don't know if you/your DH/the child has the koach/time to do the school as the day comes to an end. So you could hire a child minder (who could actually supervise some of his work) for the day and then you could come home and teach the subjects that need active teaching before/after dinner. You would have to be very disciplined to make sure your teaching would be done during that crazy part of the day; no dealing with other kids' homework, making dinner, etc.

Hatzlacha in making your decision!

My husband isn't home, so that's not an option. I could do it, but I don't know where to get the info from. He would be coming home at 1:00 and wouldn't start work again until 5:00....I would do homework and supper with my other kids at 4:30, so that from 5-7 I could work with him.
I spoke to the principal and I do feel a little better, but not much. I told her I don't mind pulling him out in the afternoon. She told me that if that's what we end up doing, I just have to make sure to do it according to the doe so that they and I don't get in trouble for having him out of school.

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
My husband isn't home, so that's not an option. I could do it, but I don't know where to get the info from. He would be coming home at 1:00 and wouldn't start work again until 5:00....I would do homework and supper with my other kids at 4:30, so that from 5-7 I could work with him.
I spoke to the principal and I do feel a little better, but not much. I told her I don't mind pulling him out in the afternoon. She told me that if that's what we end up doing, I just have to make sure to do it according to the doe so that they and I don't get in trouble for having him out of school.

I'm not sure what you mean - you or your husband can teach him. You can find any/all the materials from homeschooling websites/catalogs, depending on you plan on teaching. Two hours may not be enough time to do the work - it all depends on what you intend to teach. For my 3rd grader, it takes about 4 hours to do kodesh and chol.

If you are in NY state you might talk to Jewish homeschoolers or the state homeschool support group. I'm not who would have jurisdiction over your child's education - whether he would be subject to public school/private school rules or homeschool rules.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 2:26 pm
Would you be pulling him out just for this year with the intention to send him back to school next year or are you thinking of homeschooling him long term? If long term, there are other ways to homeschool that look nothing like school that can give you a lot more flexibility. Although not the easiest way to go, there are families who homeschool while working full time. They just do it differently. You'd need an open mind to consider possibilities you've never thought of before.

If it were possible to build a framework that is child directed, so that he would only need some guidance from you but not intensive direct teaching, would it be possible for your son to join you at your workplace and do his work there?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 3:00 pm
HappytoHS wrote:
Would you be pulling him out just for this year with the intention to send him back to school next year or are you thinking of homeschooling him long term? If long term, there are other ways to homeschool that look nothing like school that can give you a lot more flexibility. Although not the easiest way to go, there are families who homeschool while working full time. They just do it differently. You'd need an open mind to consider possibilities you've never thought of before.

If it were possible to build a framework that is child directed, so that he would only need some guidance from you but not intensive direct teaching, would it be possible for your son to join you at your workplace and do his work there?

I'm not sure. We are currently looking into another school, but he would have to leave very early and would come home late and I'm not sure that would be good for him either, although the school itself is a good fit for him. I don't even know if it would be for the rest of the year. for now it would just be until an alternative can be found for this year, and if nothing is found he would be home for the year. I don't think this is a long term option, but it could be it will turn into one.
I work until 1:00, so he would not be able to come with me, as then he would miss his Jewish classes and that's not an option.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not sure. We are currently looking into another school, but he would have to leave very early and would come home late and I'm not sure that would be good for him either, although the school itself is a good fit for him. I don't even know if it would be for the rest of the year. for now it would just be until an alternative can be found for this year, and if nothing is found he would be home for the year. I don't think this is a long term option, but it could be it will turn into one.
I work until 1:00, so he would not be able to come with me, as then he would miss his Jewish classes and that's not an option.

I'm a little confused. It sounds like you want to leave him in school for Judaic studies in the morning and just pull him out for the afternoon, is that right? You said you have a break from 1 to 2, when you could pick him up from school. If you work in an office, could he hang out with you there with some work to do until you finish work and go home? How about at a grandparent or aunt?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 4:35 pm
HappytoHS wrote:
I'm a little confused. It sounds like you want to leave him in school for Judaic studies in the morning and just pull him out for the afternoon, is that right? You said you have a break from 1 to 2, when you could pick him up from school. If you work in an office, could he hang out with you there with some work to do until you finish work and go home? How about at a grandparent or aunt?

Yes, I want him in school in the morning, and then home in the afternoon. I work in a playgroup, until 1:00. I would pick him up from yeshiva after I finish work. We don't have any local relatives. I have a friend who can watch him until 4:30, when I get home from doing all of my carpools for my other kids.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 4:46 pm
How involved is your friend willing to be? Would she be willing to read with him, do some creative writing, play math games part of the time? Or, would you consider an online program and could your friend be available for questions or help as needed? Most importantly, how would your son feel about this arrangement? Would he like it, be neutral but take it in stride, or feel like a failure at learning?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 4:58 pm
This is doable, you just have to work backwards. Pick him up at 1, let him have lunch or snack with you till 2. From 2-4 is HW time. During this time he does his HW from the morning Judaic classes and HW from what he learned with you the night before, or an assignment he can do on his own like read the next story. From 4 - 5:30 break time 5:30 - 7:00 homeschool.
7-8 play with his siblings, get ready for bed, etc.
I would ask the school for his books and try to get the lesson plans and HW for the week. This way he is on track with the rest of the class, and can start with them next year.
Most teachers teach straight from the book, page by page until the end.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 6:22 pm
HappytoHS wrote:
How involved is your friend willing to be? Would she be willing to read with him, do some creative writing, play math games part of the time? Or, would you consider an online program and could your friend be available for questions or help as needed? Most importantly, how would your son feel about this arrangement? Would he like it, be neutral but take it in stride, or feel like a failure at learning?

I can do the work with him after 5:00. But an online program might work too. He definitely wouldn't feel like a failure, but I'm not sure how he would feel. I need to speak to him about it.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
This is doable, you just have to work backwards. Pick him up at 1, let him have lunch or snack with you till 2. From 2-4 is HW time. During this time he does his HW from the morning Judaic classes and HW from what he learned with you the night before, or an assignment he can do on his own like read the next story. From 4 - 5:30 break time 5:30 - 7:00 homeschool.
7-8 play with his siblings, get ready for bed, etc.
I would ask the school for his books and try to get the lesson plans and HW for the week. This way he is on track with the rest of the class, and can start with them next year.
Most teachers teach straight from the book, page by page until the end.

That could totally work too!!! I so badly want to homeschool all my
Kids, but for numerous reasons it can't happen right now. This would be awesome!!!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
That could totally work too!!! I so badly want to homeschool all my
Kids, but for numerous reasons it can't happen right now. This would be awesome!!!

If you want to homeschool all your kids then that's a different story.
Many states have on-line schooling, free, from the state. Contact your doe and ask if they provide this. They provide all materials including laptops for free. The students work at their own pace. They graduate with a real diploma. In my state it's called virtual school. Or, if you feel confident enough, you can use your own curriculum.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
If you want to homeschool all your kids then that's a different story.
Many states have on-line schooling, free, from the state. Contact your doe and ask if they provide this. They provide all materials including laptops for free. The students work at their own pace. They graduate with a real diploma. In my state it's called virtual school. Or, if you feel confident enough, you can use your own curriculum.

Not going to happen, for numerous reasons. Right now, I'm just focusing on getting this one kid into a good environment.

babygirl40

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 4:00 pm
just wondering what happened with this one as I'm might be facing the same scenario.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 5:08 pm
I was the OP of the thread.
bh we made it through the year, but just barely. the school refused to switch my son to another class for english, and lets just say it was a disaster all around. bh he will not be returning there in the fall, nor will any of our other boys (current or future, should there be any more)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling