Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Bars yay or nay?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:02 pm
Do you think that bars are totally unholy, inappropriate places for a frum Jew to be? I'm not talking about getting out of it drunk and picking up men. I'm talking about sitting around, having a drink which may or may not be alcoholic and just observing and/or talking with people in a platonic manner?

penguin

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:15 pm
And this is under hobbies and crafts because?????

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:29 pm
penguin wrote:

relaxing at a bar can be hobbie-ish and because you can post anon here

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:32 pm
penguin wrote:

1. For some reason, it's amother-enabled.
2. It makes sense, OP's asking about a way to spend leisure time.

Here's my take: years ago I went a few times with friends to this place that was like a speakeasy. The "front" was a bookshop and sold soft drinks. Upstairs through the secret door was the bar. I remember hearing someone on the piano once but assume it was downstairs because I don't think we went upstairs at all.

Again, this was years ago. I really would have even less cheshek all these years later to check out the upstairs. I also would NOT go by myself. Frankly, OP, I think there are better, less risky places you can go. (I assume you're going by yourself.)

You're amother, feel free to fill in any blanks you'd like.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

water_bear88

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:33 pm
Different bars have different vibes. There are some I would go to with dh or a friend (anyway I'm in Israel and wear an obvious head-covering, so I don't get guys trying to flirt with me), some I wouldn't set foot in due to their reputation.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:43 pm
so long as you don't drink anyone under the bar stool ... לחיים Drunken Smile Cheers

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 4:08 pm
A nice quiet bar... if it's kosher you can get a piece of cake, if not you can have a chocolate or a juice or a coca... don't get the problem. Some are even very familial.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 5:17 pm
One thing I miss about Europe is the pubs, where you can sip a half pint of cider and have a nice chat with your girlfriends.

I think that sidewalk cafes are wonderful for hanging out and doing people watching. Hotel bars are pretty parve, IMHO.

Water_bear, I'm in Israel too, and I always look totally Chassidish. I still have had lots of guys hit on me! Maybe because I'm older, they're hoping that I'm a widow, and that I still cover my hair. I have to make it very clear to these friendly gentleman that I moved here with my HUSBAND and my daughter. *polite smile* "Have a nice day!" Wave

nyer1

Post Tue, Dec 08 2015, 7:35 pm
deepnds on the bar. depends on who you go with. depends where. depends on your hashgafa.

for me, there are certain bars or lounges I would go to with certain friends. not every bar is the same.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 4:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
One thing I miss about Europe is the pubs, where you can sip a half pint of cider and have a nice chat with your girlfriends.

I think that sidewalk cafes are wonderful for hanging out and doing people watching. Hotel bars are pretty parve, IMHO.

Water_bear, I'm in Israel too, and I always look totally Chassidish. I still have had lots of guys hit on me! Maybe because I'm older, they're hoping that I'm a widow, and that I still cover my hair. I have to make it very clear to these friendly gentleman that I moved here with my HUSBAND and my daughter. *polite smile* "Have a nice day!" Wave

Could be! I'm still very much in the Yerushalayim bubble, so maybe it's just different outside of 02? It wouldn't be the only cultural difference.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 5:29 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Could be! I'm still very much in the Yerushalayim bubble, so maybe it's just different outside of 02? It wouldn't be the only cultural difference.

The guys who hit on me are not Chassidish, they are Dati/modern. They are never sleazy or creepy, just super friendly and chatty. It's kinda sweet, in a really awkward way. Hey, at least I get to practice my Hebrew! Wink

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 09 2015, 5:51 am
I would definitely go to a bar or pub with my friends or husband. It honestly not something I find all that much fun though. But since there are no kosher restaurants around here thats sometimes the only option. I kind of prefer starbucks, its more peaceful.

No one has ever hit on me but I don't go that often.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics