Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Recipes with Egg Whites

Mommy912

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 1:32 pm
My Challah recipe leaves me with 12 egg whites. Anybody have any good recipes which use egg whites?

Mommy912

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 3:38 pm
I had this whole container of egg whites so I ended up just making egg white omelets for lunch with sauted onions. I read that egg whites can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.

Mandy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 8:00 pm
you could make meringues with them. Meringues are these really healthy cookies. You have to beat egg whites with sugar ( or splenda) and a bit of salt and then add some flavoring if you want and then spoon the mix on the baking sheet and then bake it for several minutes . Then they are done when a little brown on top. And they have no cholesterol, no fat. They can be pretty good.

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 1:03 pm
Kosher by Design Entertains has a recipe for angel food cake using egg whites.

queen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 1:07 pm
Mandy wrote:
you could make meringues...............and then spoon the mix on the baking sheet and then bake it for several minutes .

are you sure only a few minutes?????????????????
don't they need to get totally dried out?

lucky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 1:48 pm
I love mirangues. we call them snow kisses. I take the egg whites from my mil- her challah uses only the yolks. It is just very time consuming since you have to beat it, shape it, bake it, AND let it dry.

There is also a great recipe where u add coconut and cornflakes to the beaten egg whites. I am going to think about these kisses for the next few days, till I find time to make them.

Egg whites keep in the fridge 3-4 days. I've heard that u have to add something to the eggwhites before storing. Same as not storing onions without the roots or putting away peeled hard boiled eggs.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 1:51 pm
Don't you bake meringues on a low temp for a long time? That's how my sisters in law do it.

Expecting

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 1:59 pm
you can use any recipe that calls for eggs. its 2 egg whites per egg., so if the recipe calls for 2 eggs, use 4 egg whites. btw, 12 yolks is very very unhealthy! I make water challah, just our personal preferance

lucky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 2:07 pm
Yeah, my mils challah has too much cholesterol.I would revise a recipe calling for so much yolks. with most recipes the results are good.

queen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 3:49 pm
My grandmother made an unbelievable challah which everyone was always asking for the recipe.... it had NO EGGS. NO OIL.

go figure!

1stimer

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 3:50 pm
so queen, can we have the recipe?

queen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 3:57 pm
QUEEN'S GRANDMOTHER'S CHALLAH RECIPE
-----------------------------------------------------
2 packages yeast
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups warm water, heated to about 110 degrees F
2 Tbs salt
6-7 cups flour

Pur warm water in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle yeast, sugar and a little flour on top. Mix slightly and allow to "poof" about 15 minutes. Add salt and mix. Begin adding flour a little at a time until the dough loses its stickiness. Knead on a floured board until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a cloth, and allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in bulk.

Remove cover and punch dough down. Knead slightly and take challah at this point. Shape into 2 loaves and place on a slightly greased baking sheet. Cover with a cloth and allow the loaves to rise again for about half or one hour. Brush the top of the loaves with a wash made of egg yolk and a small amount of water. Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds and bake for about 45 minutes at 350 F. Loaves are done when the bottoms are lightly brown and sound hollow when tapped.

PM me if you end up making this recipe!!!!

1stimer

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 4:05 pm
I've printed it and will b'n try it next time I make challa.
Is the method intrinsic to the recipe or can I use my regular method, I.e. without proofing the yeast?

queen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 4:30 pm
1stimer wrote:
Is the method intrinsic to the recipe or can I use my regular method, I.e. without proofing the yeast?

not sure what your question is- are you wondering if you need to let it sit for roughly 15 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients???? I'd say yes, it DOES need that time to activate the yeast properly.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 11:13 pm
I'm not sure how many egg whites needed, but you can make lemon meringue pie. Smile
btw, leaving the whites overnight in the fridge may have a halachic problem (just like peeled/cut onions, etc).

chavamom

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 11:33 pm
brachad wrote:
I'm not sure how many egg whites needed, but you can make lemon meringue pie. Smile
btw, leaving the whites overnight in the fridge may have a halachic problem (just like peeled/cut onions, etc).

How do you make the lemon curd? The lemon meringue pies I've made used the yellows in the curd portion.

My favorite recipe for angel food cake is from 'allrecipes.com'. Recipe here. My kids like it with strawberries and sugar on top - YUM!

1stimer

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 5:40 pm
queen, I made it using whole wheat challa and it was gr8. thanks

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 9:00 pm
chavamom wrote:

How do you make the lemon curd? The lemon meringue pies I've made used the yellows in the curd portion.

you're right. the recipe part has 3 egg yolks and the meringue part has 3 egg whites. so I guess you can make just the meringue part if you have only the whites Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics