Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Work at home with toddler or send toddler out?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 9:13 am
I work from home and my son is 18 months old. He is just getting good at playing by himself, of course with me encouraging him and talking to him and playing with him here and there. I sent him out for a few months as he wasn't letting me work but now he does.

I am trying to think about next year, from age 2 to age 3.

I would love to keep him at home, because I don't want to miss watching him grow up, especially as he was my little miracle.

Do you think it is unfair to keep a child at home if you are working 5 hours a day? I would be at the computer pretty much the whole time - although in the same room as him and able to help him with things as he needs and take small breaks here and there.

mha3484

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 9:59 am
Is there a part time option? That's what I'm thinking about doing next year 3 mornings a week. But it's DH who works from home.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:02 am
Can you work 2 hrs at night after hes in bed? does he still nap during the day?

Zehava

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:04 am
I think you should play it by ear and see what works for both of you. Personally I'm an introvert, and I need my space once the children get to that age. Every person is different though and many mothers seem to manage fine. See what works for both of you. If you can't get your work done, or he seems edgy and bored, you can decide to send him out then.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:04 am
I think sending him to daycare/school is the right move: for both if you. He will Beneft from the socialization that a group setting offers and frankly, a child that age shouldn't have to play quietly and independently for that many hours a day: he should be encouraged to interact and make noise as is age appropriate. Not to mention that it's not really fair to your boss or your work to not give that your full attention. Parenting is quality vs quantity: you'll be more present in the fewer hours that you have with him than during a full day when you need for him to play on his own

morah

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 10:31 am
Whether you send out or not, you need child care. I'm a big believer in teaching independent play at a young age and not entertaining toddlers every second, but 5 hours is a long time at that age and there's no way he will just do his thing and leave you to yours. Even if you keep him home you will need to get a sitter to come in to keep him out of the way and take care of his needs so you can give your attention to your work.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 11:45 am
I say keep home.

MMCH

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:19 pm
I really think it depends how hands on your work is, and how content your baby is.

I cant even imagine any of my children being able to stay home with me at 18 months, if I had to work and needed to be on the phone, or the computer.
if they were a baby, and you just need to feed and hold, that I understand.

my kids at 18 months were happy to have a socialization during the day (esp my oldest!)
IS there a playgroup or a group babysitter around you that you can do 2-3 hours a day? or maybe 2x a week?

Unless you really really want to him home, and make your work flexible? like only during nap times/night time.

good luck.

luppamom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:36 pm
Send him out. He's not gaining anything by playing by himself for 5 hrs. if he's really capable of doing that. (I have one the same age and can't imagine.) Why not let him go somewhere fun where he will get more attention? I don't know what your hrs. are, but if you can start early, you can bring him home at 1 pm and give him all the attention he needs until bedtime.

MadameX

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 8:24 am
I kept my DC home from newborn to age 34 months (two months shy of 3 years old). This worked out for the both of us because I kept DC busy with mommy and me classes and/or play dates on a daily basis. If there are no options for you to go out due to your work schedule, then please send him out to a playgroup. They are beginning to learn social skills during these years and being around other kids of that age is very beneficial Smile

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 11:57 am
It depends on your child.
My personal experience is that kids need company. THey need a social life. So if you are working and he is playing in his room, you are not going to parks or mommy and me groups and therefore he is not getting any interaction with other kids which at this age is important.

This is besides for the point that my kids would never let me work they are all over the place at this age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics