Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Meat for a young child in the 9 days

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 6:44 am
My 4 year old eats nothing besides chicken for lunch. I've heard that at that age one can still give chicken to a 4 year old because it is not consered chinuch age. what do you say??

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 6:52 am
I don't think it really matters what we say - you should ask your rav at what age chinuch begins for that matter. Tell him that's all your 4 yo eats b/c that might make a difference. Our rav said we can give 4 1/2 yo ds fleishigs during the 9 days b/c of his age AND the fact that he's allergic to dairy. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think we gave dd fleishigs at that age during the 9 days. Then again, she's a milchigs girl, so it wasn't a big deal.

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 6:56 am
DS (16 months) is going to be finishing off the Shabbat chicken this week, but I don't think it will last past tonight anyway. If it's the only thing he'll eat, definitely ask a Rav. (And don't forget...chicken is not really meat!)

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:28 am
I learnt that we don't give meat to a young child in the nine days because of the devastation of the churban, so that it goes beyond chinuch, and even little children are included; maybe from the age of a year or two.

But of course this is an ask your LOR question, especially if your son only eats chicken.

This week is more lenient than next for people in need of meat.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:37 am
We asked our Rav if ds (who is 1) can eat meat. He's not age of chinuch yet - no prob.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:43 am
I remember years ago my dd just helped herself to shabbos leftovers during the 9 days - I wasn't sure what to do - her dad said just to leave her be - she was 5 or 6 at the time ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics