Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Non stop screaming
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 1:38 pm
Help. my 2 month old is screaming just about non stop for 14 hrs now. Its a bit better if I stand with him and bounce him but I have no energy left.

Nicole

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 2:27 pm
oy- I'm so sorry - that's exhausting and frustrating. Does he have gas- you think? Is he colicky? Remember that if you get frustrated and can deal anymore there's nothing wrong with putting him down in a crib/swing/somewhere safe and going into a different room for a little while to collect your sanity.
If you think he's sick or if he's running a fever, obviously, it would be a good idea to go to a doctor.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 2:58 pm
Maybe give him a warm bath? Or put him into your shirt kangaroo style? maybe let him be only in an undershirt? Put his bouncy seat on the wash machine?

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 3:02 pm
is there a reason he could be crying??

if not, just remember "to infants, screaming is a sport" (thats what my dr told me when I had a similar problem.)

seriously though, give him a bath, take him outside, these are some things that worked with my screaming baby.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 3:27 pm
Thank you all for your great responses and thank you for not beating me up. I always feel weird bringing my kids to the dr (although of course I do) bc they are HUGE screamers. With my 1st I would always go and it was nothing other than a screamy baby. After that I try to hold off a bit. Well, now the dr's offices here are closed for the day but if this continues tomorrow I will surely bring him in.
I feel bad for my older kids (also very young). They were so good today, most of the time. But I could see the lack of my attention was really getting to them and there was simply nothing I could do.
re: all the suggestions (thanks so much!):
First of all, thanks for the kangaroo suggestion... I took a fabric wrap thing for the baby that I have and I am using it right now. He is at least asleep when I stand and he lets me sit for about 2 min before screaming. I tried to let him sleep on my bed rather than his bassinet. That didnt work. I tried to put my shirt (for the smell... though no, it doesnt smell!) in his bassinet. Didnt work. The bath worked but only while he was in it, and 5 min after. Then the screaming started up again.
I dont think it's a gas issue as there was no indication of that, though he hasnt gone to the bathroom much today... or at least as much as usual. He is somewhat colicky though not like my older ones were, and today was surely a ton worse than any other day.
I did put him down for short periods of time bc after all I did have to give the other ones dinner and baths etc (my husband works till very late). He may have a fever but it's hard to tell - he is so hot from screaming!
He has been in just a onesie all day.
He wont let me put him anywhere (like the bouncy seat). He shrieks like crazy. And I cant do the washing machine bc it stands on top of the dryer, so the washing machine goes up near the ceiling.
I did take him outside. At 1st it worked like a charm. Then he got antsy, but more than that one of the older ones got nutty outside so it was 6 of one half a dozen of another. After I let my baby have a break from shrieking, we went back in.
Well now he has been asleep for about 5 min in the wrap thing. I dont want to dare to take it off! Every single time I put him down today he woke. Maybe I will sleep like this. :-)

queen

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 3:52 pm
didn't read the above responses, but is he getting enough to eat?
My baby cried a lot... and didn't sleep well. Took us until 5 months old to realize she wasn't getting enough milk from me and we immediately put her on formula. (her weight was on the low side, but we were monitoring it- until doctor at 5 months said "enough" forumua NOW! and after that bH her temperment improved 180 degrees and she picked up in weight mighty fast. Scary though, which is why this is the first thing that comes to mind.

hope all is well and ok now 8)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 4:01 pm
Just took him out of the`wrap and... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
He is surely eating enough. He is very big and eats quite often. I already know he's inconsolable if doesnt get really often. I tried to hold off a bit bc I thought maybe he's eating too much. But its not that either. People tell me he is really big. I was at my dr yesterday and he said after looking at the baby, "how long ago did you say you gave birth? He's big!" He also is generally filling diapers well so I think he gets enough. I have given him formula here and there just to make sure he is not reliant on my milk alone. He seems more content with mine though.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 4:37 pm
if he is gassy, try massaging his back or stomach... btw chamomile or fennel seed tea work wonders for gassy tummies.

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:04 pm
r u sure that the baby doesn't have an ear ache.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:09 pm
He doesnt seem to be gassy.

No, I cant be sure. That is why if it continues tomorrow (its too late to go to the dr now) I will bring him to the dr tomorrow.
This is getting a bit much. Now I have to stand for him to not be screaming in the wrap.
DH should be home in 45 min, thank G-d. I've had it. He's been up for 17 hrs minus the 1 1/2 he slept in various shifts.

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:21 pm
get the kids ears checked

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:23 pm
I would assume the dr would know to do that...

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:42 pm
Amother, did you ever try giving him tylenol? if he calmed down after tylenol that would mean something had been bothering him. does nothing work to distract him from crying?

btw, my kids always scream their heads off at the dr too. I used to care, but there's really nothing I can do so I just try to get them out of there as fast as I can.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:48 pm
Take him to the dr. Once I had that because the formula did not agree at all.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 6:35 pm
u think your kid screamed at the doctor? my kid ran under the examination bench, and it took TWO NURSES to pry her out from under there!!!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:10 pm
I had a non-stop screamer. Whenever her babies have done that I remind her of how she treated me!

su7kids

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:32 pm
Firstly, is this the first time ever the baby has screamed for that long?

If it isn't, maybe he wants to be swaddled tight.

My dd found out that swaddling her baby makes all the difference in the world. Its like an OFF -switch to screaming.

Here is a website that tells you how, any receiving blanket will do.

If he was happy in your "papoose" close to you, he may be happy with a swaddle.

http://www.todaysparent.com/ba....._2224

It doesn't always make sense, because they seem restricted, but some babies just love it.

Also, if yo'ure on the east coast and you have air conditioning on, it may be cold for the baby, so the swaddling will solve that problem, too.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

And if he is crying again tomorrow, definitely take him to the Dr just to be safe.

I'd rather you go 1000 times for NOTHING than miss something just once.

Chaya4

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:33 pm
my baby screamed a lot at the begining. have you heard of the happiest baby on the block? I watched the dvd and read the book and it helped SOOO much. if you haven't tried it yet, why don't you check it out?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:46 pm
They love swaddling, b/c it's like being squished inside of mommy. My son when screaming loved being swaddled and nursed, nursed, nursed. Then I realize he had gas, gas gas!!!

As for people telling you that your baby is so big - My ds was born at 9lbs, 5 oz. He was huge and everyone who saw us, said that he was huge. Then, a few months go by and he's under the growth chart so we had to fatten him up. You never know.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:50 pm
do you have a baby swing ... then you could put the baby in and take a break ... hopefully he'll stop crying too ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics