Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 4:58 pm
What are we not allowed to do...

We went some where for shabbos, and at home I guess I just let the kids play with what ever (not chalk etc). I let them ride their scooters and sometimes rollerblades..

Is this considered ok?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:07 pm
do you hve an eiruv?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:09 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
do you hve an eiruv?

Yup, though I try really hard not to hold by it unless really ness. Esp, because we travel to Ny sometimes and other places that do not have/holdby an Eiruv

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:12 pm
Well, where are the kids playing with them? In your backyasrd, or . . . .

What is the norm in your community re these toys?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:22 pm
in the backyard at my home...

One time we were in another community and we were not used to having alot of area during shabbos. My daughter in her excitement, put on her roller blades and took off into the neighborhood (no traffic it was shabbos). She came back and told me everyone was looking at her like she's weird.

I know for a fact there was an eruv there, so I told her to just stay on our host's driveway.. was that wrong?

shoy18

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
in the backyard at my home...

One time we were in another community and we were not used to having alot of area during shabbos. My daughter in her excitement, put on her roller blades and took off into the neighborhood (no traffic it was shabbos). She came back and told me everyone was looking at her like she's weird.

I know for a fact there was an eruv there, so I told her to just stay on our host's driveway.. was that wrong?

I dont know where you live or where you were for shabbos, but in many places its not acceptable to rollerblade, ride bikes, and the like. on shabbos its not a shabbosdik activity. When I was a kid we were not allowed to do such things on shabbos.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:32 pm
so what is acceptable??

Playing ball?
Frizbie??

IY"h we are moving to a more frum community, and these are things I want to understand and be appropriate. it's like a fine line, that is not taught when you are BT..

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 11:13 pm
Growing up ("Conservadox") we NEVER rode our bikes or used skates/rollerblades on Shabbat. It was considered (by my parents, at least) as much a prohibition of riding as it would have been to get into a car or mount a horse or donkey.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 10:49 am
Not riding a bike is because of being “mesaken” the chain. In comparison, riding a Big Wheel would be okay.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 10:51 am
Even if we had an eiruv, I don't think I'd let my kids rollerblade, use a scooter or bike. I agree that a tricycle or big wheel is ok.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 12:27 pm
Your still not answering my question

What is acceptable then??
Frizbie?
Ball?
Jump rope??

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:18 pm
How old are the kids, amother?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:19 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
How old are the kids, amother?

9 and 5 are boys

7 is a girl

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:24 pm
I thought you're not supposed to ride a bike b/c if it breaks it would cause you to fix it....

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:27 pm
A bike with a chain is completely out because of the "fixing". The other items are age-dependent, OP, you should ask a rov.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:44 pm
I know people who ride bikes, others who don't. some play legos, some don't, some play domino, others say it's a selection... askyour rav. I also noticed very modern people pushing carriages without an eruv, unless an eruv less town touching an eruved one is considered ok??? Question I dont think so...

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 2:07 pm
I always wondered about this too ... but personally even if it were okay I wouldn't feel like it were appropriate for shabbos ... a little kooky I guess ... I think they should be dressed nice for shabbos and shouldn't ruin their shabbos clothes ... so rolling in the mud or in the park or playing bb just seems off ...

maybe if they change their clothes ... but ...

I still wonder ... what is okay also ... I see so many kids do different things and wonder ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note