Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Custom Wedding Kesubah - What do you think?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:32 am
I'm thinking of starting a small business on the side to customize ppl's wedding kesubos. It would be pre-filled with their names, location, dates, to avoid mispelling errors at the actual wedding. The kesuba would just have to be signed by the witnesses at the time of the wedding (this is 100% according to halacha). let's say priced at $35 or so.

do you think such a thing would take off? is there a market?

5mom

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:46 am
Sounds nice, but if I were having one custom made, I'd have the artist fill it in. If you are filling in the kind that you can buy at a Judaica store, I would see if you can leave cards at the store for couples to see as they are buying the ketuba. Also consider the cost of FedExing if needed.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 2:48 am
op here - It would have the names put in. The whole thing would be designed and typed on the computer

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:54 am
I think a hand-calligraphied ketubah with nice artwork is lovely. But something typed on a computer? I guess it depends if it is done in a very professional and high-quality way. Otherwise, I am not sure there is a market for it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 4:20 am
amother wrote:
op here - It would have the names put in. The whole thing would be designed and typed on the computer
What is the benefit of this? Typed? Then how is it custom made? meaning, we had a lovely ketuba written out by a friend of my husband's and then my SIL beautified it. But what would the benefit of a type written one be that one couldnt just get at a judaica store?

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 4:48 am
Just putting this out there because people mentioned computers.

A graphic artist can do something beautiful and unique by computer then having it printed on specialty paper so it can be gorgeous and special.

However the amount of time it would take to make that it should cost more then $35.

loveit

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 3:44 pm
We had a calligrapher fill in ours with the names, date etc and she matched the kesubah beautifully and added little decorative scrolls to fill in the extra blank space left. It looks 100% custom. The artist just kept her business cards at the judaica stores for them to hand out.

I think if you are talking computer then you must already have the template designed so that all you do is add in the personal details and that could be really cool. I would make sure to have a website showing the different designs and fonts available. Also print up business cards for all the judaica shops and maybe even drop off blank kesubahs for the stores to display. $35 is a fabulous and eye catching price for something custom, maybe $75? still very affordable for something custom but would earn you a bit more for your time.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 6:20 pm
We had a custom one that sadly I never got to see as it got lost by the wedding. We only realized next day and had to run get a new one and have it filled out.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 6:24 pm
do most people fill in the date AT the tish if it's an evening wedding? if things are moving along at a good clip and you know the chuppah will be done by sunset versus if things are dragging and the chassunah will actually be the next day.....

we got married at 11 am so for us it wasn't an issue, but that would be my first thought--- don't you want to leave the date blank for evening weddings...?

mha3484

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 6:54 pm
My husband is a sofer and fills in kesubos. He charges $35 dollars for the names date and location.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics