Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
HELP! My 22 month old stopped napping!

batya613

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 5:43 pm
I am looking for suggestions on how to get my almost 2 year old daughter to nap? I already tried with success driving around and she falls asleep but I can't do that every day. Three days ago when I put her in for a nap she was quiet for a few minutes, but then she started crying until I take her out.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 5:55 pm
batya613 wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on how to get my almost 2 year old daughter to nap? I already tried with success driving around and she falls asleep but I can't do that every day. Three days ago when I put her in for a nap she was quiet for a few minutes, but then she started crying until I take her out.

I don't know if this would work, but maybe delay the nap for a little while? Like a half hour or an hour.
I hate to say this, but she might just be ready to give up her nap. My oldest (now 8.5) gave up his nap at 15 months....I tried for a week to keep it going, but he wouldn't hear of it.

nnmom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 6:04 pm
I had my first drop her nap at 15 months and my second before two. They were both just not great day sleepers. BUT I still put them in to their cribs as many days a week as I could. They mostly didn't sleep. I would let them kvetch, sing, fuss even moderate crying. Because sometimes they did sleep. And they always benefited from the associated down time. I had a very tight nap routine. Diaper change, milk, books, rocking, songs while in crib. I have developed a thicker skin as the years have gone by. It was really in their best interest because they went through phases (colds, growth spurts, up super early) that they actually napped. I had to stop myself to check if they were breathing because it was so out of character.
Hope that helps-
Good luck

batya613

Post Tue, Jan 05 2016, 9:24 pm
eema of 3- I can't put her into bed any later or it will interfere with bedtime. I really hope she isn't giving up her nap, but something tells me she is Crying She has been acting really wacky because of it Crying

Nnmom, maybe I just need to develop a thicker thin. She used to go in so easily without any crying. Now I let her cry about 10-15 minutes. I go in and tell her to go to sleep. But she starts crying again. I then go in again, she keeps crying and I eventually take her out after this routine repeats another 1-2 times. I've tried bribing her but to no avail... I just can't let her cry so long. Thanks for the suggestions.

little_mage

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:32 am
My son gave up his nap around his second birthday. However, for the next year and a half, I managed to enforce a quiet time in his crib (and then later his room). I'd make sure he had lots of books and stuff, and it was just a break time for me. I would make sure she has stuff to play with, and not go in.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:40 am
Outgrowing the nap is a HARD transition for both mom and kid. It will be on and off again for a while.

Can you substitute the nap time with a DVD and a soft blanket, and see if she falls asleep on her own? If not, at least she'll be resting for a half hour or so.

I wanted to cry when DD gave her naps. Mommy needs HER nap, too!

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:57 am
My ds stopped napping when he was 2, but guess what? He started sleeping earlier and he has a really healthy sleeping pattern till today, doesn't wake up in the middle of the night, so it might not be a bad thing!

observer

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 10:51 am
None of my kids still napped at that age!

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 12:21 pm
Be thankful that she napped until now. Sounds like she's ready to give up the nap.

bigblueyes

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 12:33 pm
She can go in for an,earlier bedtime now!

batya613

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 2:03 pm
Thanks imamothers for your suggestions. I think I will still try for the nap for a bit longer. If that doesn't work, I will try the quiet time idea...cuz it's better than nothing. And I may just have to give her an earlier bedtime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics