Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
No one wears pencil skirts??
1  2  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:15 pm
I was just in a frum store, and the owner said no one wears pencil skirts anymore. He only had a few in his store. Is this really true???

I have a few that I bought from a few years ago, does this mean I look dated if I wear them? Also I don't think flary skirts are flattering on me. I'm really bummed....please tell me he's wrong.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
I was just in a frum store, and the owner said no one wears pencil skirts anymore. He only had a few in his store. Is this really true???

I have a few that I bought from a few years ago, does this mean I look dated if I wear them? Also I don't think flary skirts are flattering on me. I'm really bummed....please tell me he's wrong.

He's definitely wrong. And even if in some circles he is right some women should be wearing pencil skirts. IMHO, the current styles make older and overweight women look like overstuffed pumpkins.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:32 pm
There are plenty of people wearing pencil skirts. And like the amother above me posted, you're probably better off wearing what looks good on you, rather than what "everyone's wearing".

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:32 pm
I wear pencil skirts, but I generally buy and wear what looks good on me and is comfortable, not the latest fashions. I have my basics and will add some tops, or color or patterns in the current style so I look somewhat "with it".

Rose816

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:34 pm
Pencil skirts are definitely still a trend!

And like mentioned above, regardless of the trends, wear what makes you feel beautiful!

capoccino

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:43 pm
Pencil skirts are quite classy actually!! People think just because the stores Ares selling fuller skirts that's what you have to wear...but mean people wear them and look terrible in them....the ones that know how to dress definitely wear straight skirts!!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:51 pm
Hate the a line, circle and bubble skirts! Too old and too chunky.
I don't feel good in a very slim pencil either, but a nice straight skirt is always classy, in my book.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 5:59 pm
I'm not so young not so slim I bought a semi circle skirt and had it taken in to be a nice A - line it looks great - feel more up to date than wearing a straight skirt and look appropriate

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 6:00 pm
capoccino wrote:
Pencil skirts are quite classy actually!! People think just because the stores Ares selling fuller skirts that's what you have to wear...but mean people wear them and look terrible in them....the ones that know how to dress definitely wear straight skirts!!

Excuse me. I definitely know how to dress.

And I ONLY wear high-waisted or A-line skirts and am so thankful that there are so many midi skirts available everywhere. Pencil skirts look horrible on me. I have been wearing high-waisted skirts forever, even when *everyone* was wearing only pencil.

No one will ever convince me to wear a pencil skirt and it was so hard to shop when they were in. Moral of the story, buy and wear what looks good on you. I think frum women who wear whatever the clothing store on the avenue sells, whether or not it looks good on them, don't look good.

gr8 mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 6:25 pm
I actually have been meaning to post for a while where can I find pencil/straight skirts... I went into a few jewish stores and they said they only have a line style

Thats the problem I wud wear what I like but cant cuz the stores carry only what is in style...

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:
Nope. Not true.

I have a few that I bought from a few years ago, does this mean I look dated if I wear them?
Not necessarily. Depends on how you wear them and with what.

Also I don't think flary skirts are flattering on me.
Then don't wear them!

I'm really bummed....please tell me he's wrong.
He's wrong.

Pencil skirts are a classic wardrobe staple--a must for every wardrobe.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:11 pm
Thanks ladies!

I have very little confidence in my ability to ever have that put-together look. I never know the difference between a passing fad and a major faux-pas. In fact, I just recently resolved to stop wearing long black or denim skirts every day embarrassed So thanks!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:17 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I have a few that I bought from a few years ago, does this mean I look dated if I wear them?
Not necessarily. Depends on how you wear them and with what.

I know I sound clueless, but would you mind to explain? What would be an example of dated vs. current?

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
I know I sound clueless, but would you mind to explain? What would be an example of dated vs. current?

Wear it with more current tops and make sure it's tapered nicely. Skip the tunics.
Wear it with a crop top. (You can wear a blouse under the crop top for modesty.)
Wear it with a floral top.
Wear it with an oversized sweater (but in your correct size).
Wear it with fringes.
Wear patterned tights with it.
Wear shoes in a contrasting color with it.

(Don't do all those things at once! Those are a just a few ideas.)

sima

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 11:24 am
I wear pencil skirts and love them. The current skirts depending on the style look so poufy, a look which I don't really like personally. But yes, it's harder to find them.

gr8 mom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 11:26 am
Where do u find pencil skirts?

1ofbillions

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 11:41 am
Maybe the store owner was referring to wearing pencil skirts under dresses when he said that pencil skirts are out of style.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 11:43 am
gr8 mom wrote:
Where do u find pencil skirts?

Most stores and boutiques sell them. Check online or at your local shops. (Maybe some Jewish-owned stores don't carry them? I find that hard to believe, but according to OP apparently one store owner is not selling them.)

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 11:55 am
I don't understand how anyone can walk in pencil skirts! I just inherited a bunch from a friend and yes even with a kick pleat, and loose enough to be modest in my community, I feel so restricted. Give me A-line and/or pleated any day!

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 12:01 pm
esheschayil wrote:
I don't understand how anyone can walk in pencil skirts! I just inherited a bunch from a friend and yes even with a kick pleat, and loose enough to be modest in my community, I feel so restricted. Give me A-line and/or pleated any day!

With all due respect to my a-line and circle skirts which hold a dear place in my wardrobe, I don't find pencil skirts more restrictive to walk in. (I do find them harder to keep down when I sit, but I'll admit they're pretty fitted.) Where are you running off to anyway that you find pencil skirts hard to walk in? You gotta walk like a lady. Bounce

Last edited by Lady Godiva on Thu, Jan 07 2016, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics