Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Camp kaylie

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 6:04 pm
can anyone give me any info about camp kaylie?

what ages is it for? is it the whole summer, or half boys and half girls? what does it cost? what do they provide? is it one:one counselor:camper or is it more?

any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 7:28 pm
Age 10 through teens, including neurotypical counselors and non-neurotypical interns/staff. Three day trial for younger kids. First half boys, second half girls. campkaylie.org will give you financials. There might be some flexibility. FYI, if you're asking about a boy, there's a very good chance they're full. Call ASAP.

They specifically don't do 1:1's. If your kid needs that, Kaylie isn't the right place for him/her. A bunk of twelve kids might have four counselors, three as they get older. There are no specific services for the kids, but the counselors are trained in typical issues/characteristics for the special needs campers and specific staff members will check in on your kid and create/supervise basic behavioral programs. By basic, I mean moving your kid along in ADL's and helping them get along. They are very good about meds; just be specific about what you need.

There are sports, and there are sports alternatives- arts and crafts, woodworking, go karts, ropes course, etc. They are very into not forcing kids into activities they don't want to do, so they are more likely to let your kid sit out than teach him to play if he doesn't want to. If you want, you can pay for private or semiprivate lessons in various things. Learning groups tend to be age/ability/style related. there is a group that works in the computer room (yes, a computer room- they also have a game room with X boxes) and make Power Points to help them learn. Oh, and this year, most of the bunks will be air conditioned, as are the shul, gym, and classrooms.

DS has been going for several years. I'm happy to answer specific questions. I don't know that much about the girls program.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 8:05 pm
A few kids from my neighborhood go and they and their parents seem super duper happy. It is a great chance for the typical and non-typical kids to get to know each other better, they live in the same community all year but go to different schools and it's really beautiful that they can go to camp together and get to be real friends. Other than that I don't know much.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 4:03 am
amother wrote:
Age 10 through teens, including neurotypical counselors and non-neurotypical interns/staff. Three day trial for younger kids. First half boys, second half girls. campkaylie.org will give you financials. There might be some flexibility. FYI, if you're asking about a boy, there's a very good chance they're full. Call ASAP.

They specifically don't do 1:1's. If your kid needs that, Kaylie isn't the right place for him/her. A bunk of twelve kids might have four counselors, three as they get older. There are no specific services for the kids, but the counselors are trained in typical issues/characteristics for the special needs campers and specific staff members will check in on your kid and create/supervise basic behavioral programs. By basic, I mean moving your kid along in ADL's and helping them get along. They are very good about meds; just be specific about what you need.

There are sports, and there are sports alternatives- arts and crafts, woodworking, go karts, ropes course, etc. They are very into not forcing kids into activities they don't want to do, so they are more likely to let your kid sit out than teach him to play if he doesn't want to. If you want, you can pay for private or semiprivate lessons in various things. Learning groups tend to be age/ability/style related. there is a group that works in the computer room (yes, a computer room- they also have a game room with X boxes) and make Power Points to help them learn. Oh, and this year, most of the bunks will be air conditioned, as are the shul, gym, and classrooms.

DS has been going for several years. I'm happy to answer specific questions. I don't know that much about the girls program.

What distinguishes kaylie from other camps? What kinds of children is it for? Is it an active camp, or is it as active as the child wants it to be?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 4:38 am
Kaylie is very much as active as you want it to be. There are kids playing sports and climbing things all day, and kids who never play a sport the whole time. They do like to have a lot going om, so there are trips and special activities, etc.

Kaylie is the only camp that fully integrates their special needs and neurological campers. Campers are really not labeled, and you often can't tell the difference. Special needs campers who attend are those who benefit from being in a mainstream environment and don't need the direct support of a 1:1. They come from a broad spectrum of the Orthodox world, because Kaylie is the only place of its kind.

Meanwhile, in my experience, a lot of the "regular" kids come from Teaneck and the Five Towns, although there is definitely variety and out of town as well. They come for a few reasons. First, it's a good place for a kid who doesn't want to play sports. Second, kaylie is a comfortable camp with a lot of perks, including a good sports program (the kids who don't want to play aren't playing, which helps), a go kart track, the game room, nice buildings and gym, etc. Kaylie did this on purpose to get neurotypical kids to come, and they do. It is the "it" camp in some communities.

Because of all of this, Kaylie doesn't really have a hashkafah, though in practice I would call it right wing MO (even though this may not describe may of the kids who go there). The boys are not learning all morning, but there's a beis medrash and a group of bachurim there all day, so the boys can go learn if they want (some do). And it is separate boys and girls.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:07 am
amother wrote:
Kaylie is very much as active as you want it to be. There are kids playing sports and climbing things all day, and kids who never play a sport the whole time. They do like to have a lot going om, so there are trips and special activities, etc.

Kaylie is the only camp that fully integrates their special needs and neurological campers. Campers are really not labeled, and you often can't tell the difference. Special needs campers who attend are those who benefit from being in a mainstream environment and don't need the direct support of a 1:1. They come from a broad spectrum of the Orthodox world, because Kaylie is the only place of its kind.

Meanwhile, in my experience, a lot of the "regular" kids come from Teaneck and the Five Towns, although there is definitely variety and out of town as well. They come for a few reasons. First, it's a good place for a kid who doesn't want to play sports. Second, kaylie is a comfortable camp with a lot of perks, including a good sports program (the kids who don't want to play aren't playing, which helps), a go kart track, the game room, nice buildings and gym, etc. Kaylie did this on purpose to get neurotypical kids to come, and they do. It is the "it" camp in some communities.

Because of all of this, Kaylie doesn't really have a hashkafah, though in practice I would call it right wing MO (even though this may not describe may of the kids who go there). The boys are not learning all morning, but there's a beis medrash and a group of bachurim there all day, so the boys can go learn if they want (some do). And it is separate boys and girls.

Would kaylie be a good place for a child with
ADHD
ODD
Impulse control issues
Social skills issues

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:20 am
Yes. As long as he can basically control himself. They're not going to deal with a ton of meltdowns, or physical violence, but otherwise it should be fine. Since kaylie doesn't force kids to do pretty much anything, oppositional may be less of an issue.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 6:36 am
amother wrote:
Yes. As long as he can basically control himself. They're not going to deal with a ton of meltdowns, or physical violence, but otherwise it should be fine. Since kaylie doesn't force kids to do pretty much anything, oppositional may be less of an issue.

Thanks so much!! And you said it's from 10- is that TURNING 10 or already 10? My child will be 9 in April.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:19 am
Camp Kaylie is full. Is there any other boys camp that takes kids who are slightly on the edge? So far every camp is a no.

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 6:04 pm
My daughter is going to Kaylie for second half. I know most people responded about the boys division but I'm sure this rule is universal.
My question is regarding sending nosh to camp. Many kids in other camps take along huge bins of nosh. I saw in the rules about refraining from sending food packages but what about sending a big bin of packaged snacks and candy in her luggage? Will they have a problem with it? I know they have a canteen but I would rather send snacks with her luggage.
Also, anything else I should or shouldn't send? She is turning 14 next week and going to camp for the first time. She is very anxious and nervous about going to camp for the first time especially bec she doesn't know anyone at all there.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 7:28 pm
My son is there now. You can definitely send a nosh box. Most kids bring a big full box. The only restriction is that it should be nut free. If it doesn't fit in her luggage, you can send it separately under the bus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)