Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Restaurants in California: LA, SF, and SD

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 2:54 am
Can anyone recommend good restaurants in:

1. Los Angelos

2. San Francisco

3. San Diego

Please specify the hechsher. I am looking for affordable good restauarants with a very reliable hechsher.

Thank you!

su7kids

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 3:37 am
San Diego:
The Place - meat restaurant and supermarket
The Dairy Place - pizza, fish, dairy, across the street
www.sandiegokosher.com - menus and prices online
Both under the Vaad Harabonim of S. Diego. My husband is a part time Mashgiach there.

Then there is Orly's Cafe and Bakery (www.orlyscafe.com) which is a bakery and a pizza place. Very good food.

In the summer, there is a BBQ at Chabad of University City (chabaduc.org)

There's Aaron's Glatt Market which I don't know their website which has a small deli and a supermarket, and there's Langs, bagels and dairy restaurant.

All under the Vaad Harabonim of S. Diego.

If you have specific questions about those places, let me know.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 8:31 am
you do realize that the distance between san diego and san fransisco is quite large ... with la in between at 3 hrs away ...

su7kids

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 12:08 pm
This may be the same poster who asked about driving down the coast.

loveit

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 12:24 pm
SD to LA = 3 hours
LA to SF = 5.5 hours

LA Restauraints:

Firstly, the reliable hecsher is RCC and you can look on their website, I'm sure that they list all of their restauarants.

Shanghai Garden: Good chinese and sushi (meat)
Nagila: 2 restaurants next to eachother, one dairy with pizza, and the other is meat.

Pico Kosher Deli (PKD): Deli sandwiches, eggs, soups, good for lunch

Jeff's Gourmet Sausage: Sooo good, they make all of their own sausages, the also have turkey and other sandwiches, wraps, salads, and hambrugers

Pico Cafe: Dairy, open late in the summer, good for milkshakes, bagels, eggs, pasta

Kosher Subway: Coming soon but I'm not sure when

All of the above restaurants are on Pico Blvd. between Beverly Drive and Robertson BLVD (there are more restaurants past robertson as well, up to La Cienega Blvd) Just take a drive on Pico and you will see them all including markets.

For ice cream and yogurt:

Baskin Robbins: RCC hecshered, EVERY thing is kosher (not chalov yisrael I assume) On Robertson Blvd south of pico on the west side

BerriGood: A kosher copy of the new craze PinkBerry. BerriGood yogurt is frozen yogurt, non fat and tastes like reg yogurt but frozen, a little tart, but really good (extremely popular in LA) with many toppings, fruit and candy. Additionally, they also make sandwiches and salada (food is not so cheap) THis is on Robertson, north of pico and south of olympic on the west side of the street, oh and it's chalov yisrael.

If you are in the valley:

Cafe Bonjour: Dairy, Sushi, really good, super yummy, RCC, but I don't know if the dairy is chalov yisrael. This in on Ventura, just west of hayvenhurst avenue, on the south side of the street (in Encino)

ORange Delite: Great family place, meat, really good food and variety from fajitas, salads, burritos, and burgers. The tortilla chips are addictive. THis is on Ventura blvd in Sherman oaks. South side of the street just east of woodman (don't be fooled by the old orange delite stand that is now closed, the new one is east of woodman, and much nicer.

As for SF, there was a kosher veggie chinese but it just closed, but I think there is a kosher deli in SF, and I think Berkeley has a dairy italian restaurant. I don't know anythign about those hecshers except I think the deli is run by chabad.

Hope this helps!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 1:30 pm
greenfire wrote:
you do realize that the distance between san diego and san fransisco is quite large ... with la in between at 3 hrs away ...

yeah, we're going to CA for like a month and we're planning on doing a LOT of driving and going all over. DH has relatives in San francisco so we're starting there and working our way south.

su7kids, you're right. I am the same poster who asked about driving down the coast (and the one about stuff to do!!). Very Happy

Thank you all so far for your responses. Pleas keep 'em coming!!!!!!!!!!

(BTW, amother because I don't want pple who know I'm going, to figure out my screenname as I post personal info)

baseballmom

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 6:38 pm
LA has so many good resteraunts! The best pizza in the world is definetly at Nagila (as mentioned by a pp). Also you should check out La Gondola (on Wilshire and La Jolla) and Shilohs (Pico and LaPeer) - they are excellent...Shanghai Gardnes is also wonderful with big portions and good prices, and it is open late!

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 6:42 pm
Kool ... have tons of FUN!!!

at least it makes sense now ...

when my cousin was there for camp he wanted to visit my sister ... he didn't realize it was such a long distance ... he was 6-8 hrs north ...

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 6:52 pm
Another place to check out- chabad in Malibu has a restuarant that literally is on PCH, so when you drive down to LA, check it out.

bashinda

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 8:43 pm
LA -> SF 5.5 hours? Huh? You must drive extremely quickly. I remember driving maybe from S. Barbara to S. Cruz and maybe it took that long. But LA -> SF probably is more like 7-8 hours without stopping and if you're there you should really go on highway 1 (pacific coast highway) which will take even longer but it's an absolutely GORGEOUS drive with amazing views of the coastline. It's been awhile but 5.5 hours seems exceedingly short even if you're on hwy 5.

baseballmom

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 8:56 pm
bashinda wrote:
LA -> SF 5.5 hours? Huh? You must drive extremely quickly. I remember driving maybe from S. Barbara to S. Cruz and maybe it took that long. But LA -> SF probably is more like 7-8 hours without stopping and if you're there you should really go on highway 1 (pacific coast highway) which will take even longer but it's an absolutely GORGEOUS drive with amazing views of the coastline. It's been awhile but 5.5 hours seems exceedingly short even if you're on hwy 5.

ITA - if you take 5 - it will be 7-8 hours, but take pch and it will be much more beautiful, with all those stops along the way (hearst Castle, Monerrey, Oxnard, etc)...make the drive part of the trip (although plan your food accordingly since you probably won't find much kosher food between LA and SF)

Aimee

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 9:00 pm
I love Monterey (and the whole area).... so here's what I found for Monterey:

For Kosher food and meals call: (831) 643-2770 Rabbi @ Chabadofmonterey.com

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (many products under O/Ud)

Cannery Row

Ghirardelli Chocolate & Ice Cream (many products certified Kof Kd)

Cannery Row

You can check out the site:

http://www.kosherquest.org/ind.....guide

for more info.... have a fantastic time.

loveit

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 1:19 am
DH and I drive up north from LA often since I'm from the bay area (60 miles north of SF) we take the 5 freeway and it takes 5-5.5 hours to get to SF, plus at least another 2 hours to get to where my parents live since we usually make it in 7.5 hours - driving any where from 75-79 on the 5.

Of course, the 101 takes longer and PCH even waaaay longer. The 5 is ugly, but it's fast.

workingallthetime

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 4:52 pm
there is the herzog winery in oxnard which is between S. Barbara and LA. absolutely the best restaurant ive ever been to (its expensive). there is also a good falafel place in Agoura hills which is also north of LA on the way down from S. Barbara just off the 101.

once you hit the valley (S. Fernando) there are loads of places to eat, a few were named above, but there is also

La Pizza, Cafe Del Mar, Cafe Eilat, Fish in the Village (if you like fish), Le Sushi and the Sandwich bar all in North Hollywood on Burbank Blvd.

In the city a few favorites for going out not that expensive are:

Jeffs (pico)
Fish Grill (there are three one on Beverly, one on Pico and one on Wilshire in Brentwood)
Bibi's - great pita & sambousaks (pico)
pizza world (great dairy mexican food) on fairfax

there are TONS of places to eat, with new places popping up every week it seems. in addition to the RCC, there is Kehilla Kosher (heart K) and KSA which are very reliable hechsherim. I think all of the restaraunts in the above posts are either RCC or Kehilla (which is what I would stick to).

enjoy your trip!!!

anon

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 4:56 pm
How come no one mentioned Pat's? Are they still around? I remember LOVING that restaurant. And it was very decently priced (well, at least compared to NY prices, that is).

loveit

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 5:02 pm
I love Pat's, in fact they catered our wedding. I think I was under the impression that the OP was looking for reasonably priced places (I was taking into account the possibility of children) but you are totally right. PAt's is also on Pico Blvd just like all the other restaurants I mentioned previously. I actaully like Pat's way better than La Gondola ( the last few times we ahve been there they ahd bad service and not good cuts of meat)

Also a newer restaurant called Shiloh's also on pico and is a meat restaruant like Pat's as well.

All these are either RCC or Heart-K hecshered.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 1:32 am
I can't believe that people missed Fish Grill. The food there is delicious and very inexpensive. There is one in Fairfax/Labrea, One in Pico area and one in Wilshire area. Also, there is Colbeh (Chinese/Persian), BBC Cafe (fleishig cafe), Delice (yes, you can get dinner there) and Circa (salads, soups). There is also Prime Grill, A cow jumped over the moon, Judy's, Chikin Chow and numerous pizza shops that were not mentioned. I think that this pretty much covers it, though to be safe you should check out the shamash.org kosher restaurant database.

To the poster that wrote about KSA being reliable...you may want to look into that. Before eating anything with a KSA hechsher you should probably check it out with your LOR.

su7kids

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 2:14 am
amother wrote:
I can't believe that people missed Fish Grill. The food there is delicious and very inexpensive. There is one in Fairfax/Labrea, One in Pico area and one in Wilshire area. Also, there is Colbeh (Chinese/Persian), BBC Cafe (fleishig cafe), Delice (yes, you can get dinner there) and Circa (salads, soups). There is also Prime Grill, A cow jumped over the moon, Judy's, Chikin Chow and numerous pizza shops that were not mentioned. I think that this pretty much covers it, though to be safe you should check out the shamash.org kosher restaurant database.

To the poster that wrote about KSA being reliable...you may want to look into that. Before eating anything with a KSA hechsher you should probably check it out with your LOR.

I thought I heard the Fish Grill closed? Was that misinformation?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics