Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dr. Tzipora Koslowitz, Lakewood

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 10:56 pm
Has anyone used her personally? I'm looking for a great social worker or psychologist for my DS (younger elementary), behavioral issues, social issues, impulsivity, and trouble keeping his hands to himself (now translating into inappropriate touching but not overly troubling... a lot of age-normal stuff but a little too much). She was recommended by the school and I'm starting to look into her, she has a very complicated intake process and I want to make sure she's really good before I start all this.
Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 11:11 pm
I don't live in Lakewood, and have never used her, but she writes in the Binah. You can possibly get a picture of her style by reading her articles.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 16 2016, 11:59 pm
I have heard great things about her from people I respect but no personal experience as I'm not in her geographic range.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 12:03 am
seeker wrote:
I have heard great things about her from people I respect but no personal experience as I'm not in her geographic range.

Same here.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 12:12 am
Thank you all!
She actually just called me back to say that I should pursue a basic BOE eval first to see if she's the right address for him. I guess that's my next step...
These things are so frustrating and stressful.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 10:16 am
Bumping for the day crowd

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Thank you all!
She actually just called me back to say that I should pursue a basic BOE eval first to see if she's the right address for him. I guess that's my next step...
These things are so frustrating and stressful.

I think it's ethical of her to tell you to first get any evaluations you can for free. This way, by the time you see her, there will be some information for her to work off. There's a reason why schools refer to her - she's honest, and she won't let you spend a lot of money on her services if a lower level of care will help you. I don't think her intake is complicated - she has a trained intake person who does a very detailed questionnaire with you, which you don't pay for - that way, when you are face to face with her, every moment is worthwhile. She doesn't take everyone on, because if she feels a free service or someone less trained can help you, she'll refer you immediately. I work for a school that also recommends her, and we've been very happy. She's really honest, and that's more rare than it should be. If she does take you on, you're in good hands. It means she thinks she can help.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 12:27 pm
I went to one of her workshops and was very impressed by her. She seems really knowledgeable and good at what she does.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 12:35 pm
What is she good at? I have a kid that I cant figure out his exact problem. If its ADD, behavioral, etc. Im curious to know what she is known for.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
What is she good at? I have a kid that I cant figure out his exact problem. If its ADD, behavioral, etc. Im curious to know what she is known for.

Diagnosis and therapy. She's good at figuring out the kids who are confusing. We refer to her. The one thing is - if she doesn't think she can help you, she won't take you on, no matter what. It's a little frustrating sometimes, because sometimes a parent wants to use her and she won't take them on. But I guess you can't blame her. BTW, we sent someone to her and she gave them great advice of who to go to and didn't charge them a penny because she personally didn't take it on.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 3:32 pm
what does she charge to evaluate? and u are saying "we sent to her". What area do u work in that you send pple to her?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
what does she charge to evaluate? and u are saying "we sent to her". What area do u work in that you send pple to her?

I work for a school in a special ed capacity. Dk what she charges, call her office and ask.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 11:15 am
She has two articles in the Binah this week. You can get a sense of her style from them. One of them is about her approach towards working with kids.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 1:08 pm
Thank you all for your input, you've made me more comfortable with this!

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Oct 31 2017, 2:43 pm
bumping up this thread.
I called regarding her workshops and her secretary told me that the course is around 600 dollars. I am looking into the workshop for the highly reactive child. does anyone know if her course is worth this much money?
it seems like a lot...

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 3:02 am
amother wrote:
bumping up this thread.
I called regarding her workshops and her secretary told me that the course is around 600 dollars. I am looking into the workshop for the highly reactive child. does anyone know if her course is worth this much money?
it seems like a lot...

Bumping up this question. Has anyone done her workshop with good results?

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:06 pm
Has anyone used her recently for their child? School recommended her.
Are you happy & did you see an improvement with your child?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:35 pm
She has an Instagram account with live events , and a podcast. You can get a really good sense of how smart and insightful she is. I haven’t used her myself (I don’t live in NJ), but I’m impressed by her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children