Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teaching Kosher

RedVines

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 1:04 am
I teach Judaics in a JCC camp which is not kosher. My son comes with me and he goes to his group while I teach the other ages. He is very adament about the fact that he keeps kosher and he cant have any of the JCC food. Whenever we are in the supermarket he (loudly) states what is kosher and what is not. I love that he knows the word and that he uses it etc. Does anyone have any ideas or phrases that I could use in order for him to grasp it?

chavamom

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 1:46 am
Grasp which part? It sounds like he's got the idea or am I misunderstanding?

RedVines

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 3:20 pm
Maybe I mean internalize it. So that it is not just a word.

queen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 3:40 pm
How old is your son?

How about discussing kosher (and non kosher) animals......

RedVines

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 10:53 pm
He is three. For example, at supper tonight we were talking and I was going to pass him some food, he said "No mommy, I dont like it thats not kosher." Which is cute and I do appreciate it but how do I teach him to get it? Maybe its just time, He has also called me not kosher?!?!?!?

chavamom

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 11:38 pm
You can try teaching what is and isn't kosher starting with kosher animals and what makes them kosher and then moving to a game. "Is a turtle kosher?"

But honestly, he might just be too young to 'get it' at that level yet.

My daughter, age 6, has a friend that while she understands 'kosher' more or less, she asks 'is it chalav yisroel' about everything. Offer an apple - "Is it chalav yisroel?" I think that they first accept the 'rule' ('must be kosher', 'must be chalav yisroel') and learn the parameters, but it really takes a level of developement to be able to integrate that all.

gryp

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 11:22 am
kids at that age anyway have a funny understanding of kashrus. so many times ive heard children ask when they notice two garbage cans in the kitchen: "should I throw this out in the milchig garbage can or the fleishig one?"

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 11:55 am
Rg, I know someone who has two kitchens one for fleishig and one for milchig, so I am sure she also has two garbages. Wink

RedVines

Post Fri, Jul 15 2005, 10:03 am
Just an update, I wasnt sure how much my son was internalizing the idea of keeping kosher. But on the last day of camp yesturday, they were having strawberries so they asked me if mendel could have. I checked them and washed them etc. then I continued teaching my class. A couple minutes later mendel comes to me with his teacher, telling me: "No mommy, I dont eat ANYTHING here. It is not kosher." I said you are absolutly right. Basically back in his classroom, his teachers told him: "It's okay your mommy said its fine." He refused!! I learned a lot from this experience, a) To be consistent b) to give my children a lot more credit to what they can or cant understand.
Our children are amazing!!!!!!
I know this is long, I just wanted to share this nachas story with all of you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics