Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How do I toilet train?

happymom

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 9:15 pm
Any ideas? my daughter is almost two and a half. I have an insert potty and a little one. she has sat on the toilet many times but nothing ever comes out. I took off her diaper one day the whole day to help toilet train her so that she can make in the toilet, and when id see it coming wed run to the bathroom but still, shes never went in the toilet, so I ended up putting her diaper back on. any tips or advice on how? shoulkd I do it slowlu>??? should I wait a while.....

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 12:43 am
A child will not tell you she has to go if she is wearing a diaper. You have to completely stop using diapers and spend a couple of days concentrating on using the toilet. Take her there every hour, praise her if she is dry, tell her about all the people she knows who make on the potty, allow her to be in the bathroom while others are using the toilet. If she is using a big potty, there should be something for her feet to rest on. If she has success, call every relative and let them talk to her on the phone and tell her what a big girl she is. Dance with her and sing simon tov v'mazel tov. During those first 2 days, do not plan any outings or other obligations.

mimivan

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 12:51 am
happymom:
Same advice as Southern bubby, and I"d add a good thing to do is when you take off her diapers, let her run around in a nightgown for a few days. Then she can't hide when she makes, and knows if she wants to be clean, she should go to the potty (and I know she likes to make sure there is no mess Wink)

I'd put a little potty in the middle of the floor. YOu will need to devote a few days to , but if you completely take the diaper off, then it should only be a few days. (I made the mistake of doing it gradually and it took us six months, until someone gave me th idea of putting a kiddie potty in the middle of the room and letting him run naked. Well, tried it out of desperation, and it worked. But for a girl, you might want to cover with a nightgown Wink )

Anyway, b'hatzlacha!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 9:25 am
Ok. What happens when you've tried all that. he's 2.8, holds himself in & then cries cuz he's in pain, but won't do anything on the toilet, potty, floor - nothing!

zigi

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 11:34 am
momof3 he won't do #2? does he make #2 at a certain time of the day when he wears a diaper? if so is it when he sleeps. then you train him for #1 and put a diaper on when he sleeps. it really dragged out training though. but finally ds learned how to use the potty for #2 by himself, he is now 3 and 3 months. he was naked in the house and it really helped. we had to take a break in training then we started again.
happy mom start training officially when your child can make 1 AND 2 in the potty. otherwise if she doesn't know how to use her muscles to hold and to push into something. it will be one big mess. devote time to taking her so she can get the hang of making something, but without pressure to preform, if she can go when you put her on then, do the running around without diapers. good luck!!!

happymom

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 11:54 am
Quote:
A child will not tell you she has to go if she is wearing a diaper

she always tells me shes making, or shes about to go, but the thing is if I say ok lets run to the toilet! she says NO! either way I think ill start putting her on the toilet more often and once she goes in the toilet, ill take off her diaper.....

cindy324

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 12:30 pm
happymom, I have the same story. My dd will be 3 in september, and absolutely refuses to go to the bathroom. She also tells me when she's making, then she'll tell me to change her, but when I say come let's run to the toilet, she flat out refuses. I promised her a big Dora the Explorer house, and she just shrugs, and doesn't care.

sc

Post Sat, Jul 21 2007, 11:56 pm
same here - as soon as I see he's (3 in nov.) about to go - I say let's go to the "tepele" - and he just says NO - a year ago he was making on the toilet more often than now - I've promised treats get all excited when he does go - but nothing doing....

shopaholic

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 9:17 am
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I just heard about a friend who's son is a few weeks younger than mine & also isn't interested & we both need them to be trained by the time school starts or they can't go.

Zigi - he won't do #1 - forget about #2. This is child #3. My other 2 were so much easier. This kid has a very independant, stubborn streak in him. I've tried letting him run around naked. Tried it for a week.

micki

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 10:06 am
you can't push toilet training. when the child is ready it will happen in one day. if they are not it can take as one poster mentioned, 6 months.
the phrase:we both need them to be trained by the time school starts or they can't go.

this is the problem. you are trying to force nature when nature is not ready. imagine you had a flower, and you needed it to bloom before a certain date. but the flower is not ready to open. so you pry it open with tweezers, and yes it did open but hmm why does it looked all botched and choppy?
had you waited a few days the flower would have opened all by itself and look beautiful.
same is with kids and toilet training. you cannot force the issue. toilet training should take 1-2 days. thats it.
if there are accidents etc, then the kid was not ready to be trained.
my advice as to how to train- wait until he is ready. my advice as to schools- don't send him if hes not trained(as the rules of the school) or find another school. but don't push the training just casue the school wants them to be trained.

happymom

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 11:28 am
how do u know if they are ready? my daughter will sit on the toilet, tell us when she is making in her diaper, brings up diapers and wipes to be changed... but when I ask her if she wants to go on the toilet, she says no in her diaper....

micki

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 11:56 am
Quote:
when I ask her if she wants to go on the toilet, she says no in her diaper....

then she is not ready

gryp

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 1:00 pm
micki, at what age do you train your kids?

personally, I don't care if it takes one of mine a few weeks to train. I want them trained.

I've started my 23 month old, and although we're not there yet for a few reasons, he pretty much knows what he needs to do and does it.

micki

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 2:35 pm
I had- 2 ys 4 mo
3 ys 2 mo
2 ys 8
2 ys 10 mo
and now 2 ys 4 mo

when ever they come to me and say I want to make in the toilet.
whenever I initiated it thry had constant acciden. when thry ask for it then there are none.

if it takes a few weeks to train, then they are not trained - you are. you are trained to constantly ask them if they have to make.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 2:47 pm
there is a book called TOILET TRAINING IN LESS THAN A DAY. it takes more than a day, but I highly recommend it. the idea is to take a doll, use lemonade for #1, raisins for #2, and let YOUR CHILD toilet train the doll. It is so simple and such fun ADN IT WORKS. try to get a copy from the library or buy one... it pays.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training