Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Boys playing fantasy violence, is it ok?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:22 am
When my 9 year old son plays with his Lego Ninjago, (the character people come with swords) I overhear him say things like "good, I chopped off your head", whereby he'll proceed to decapitate that menchie's head, or "I shot you in the heart, now you'll die". It sounds so disturbing to me. He is not a violent child at all IRL and he doesn't watch violent videos, actually rarely any videos. I don't know if he hears this from friends who do watch, but it really irks me.
His birthday is coming up and he's begging me for another Ninjago Lego set. I feel like banning this toy from my house altogether, but his friends are so into this toy, I would really be depriving him.
Am I overreacting? Is this normal play for a frum boy?

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:30 am
Sounds normal to me. My brother definitely talked like that at that age and he's grown up into a mensch.

Sadie

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:33 am
It's normal but I still hate it.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:36 am
It would make me very uncomfortable, but that's also why we only buy certain Lego sets and not the new violent ones that are coming out. I certainly wouldn't buy more, but now that he already has one, I don't know what to tell you. You could try discussing with him that that's not a refined and proper way to talk, but if all of his friends play with those sets and that's what he hears in school, it may be an uphill battle.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:38 am
Sadie wrote:
It's normal but I still hate it.

This. I hope that picking my battles (I.e. pretend play where only Legos are getting hurt is one thing; punching his brother is another) will let DS go through this normal developmental stage without my creating any power struggles.

gittelchana

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:45 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Sounds normal to me. My brother definitely talked like that at that age and he's grown up into a mensch.

I second this.

But like Sadie said, I still hate it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children