Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn Screams @ bath time

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:20 pm
I dread giving my newborn a bath. She seems so scared & screams as soon as I put her in.
I always make sure the water is comfortable temp. I usually bathe her in a baby bathtub, & coo or sing to her to try & comfort her. What am I doing wrong? I feel so bad to put her in the water when she is so terribly afraid.
Any ideas?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:24 pm
She is not afraid. She is just a newborn. Shes cold, doesnt like being exposed. Just make ut fast. Shouldnt take more than a minute, and quickly wrap her in a warm towel. I promise you she will not remember it. My four month old also screamed in the bath at tge beginning. Hes perfectly happy in ithe bath now.

mama2

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:34 pm
Make sure the bath is warm enough. Some people think it should be room temperature but it actually should be warm. Not very hot but nice and warm so will feel good to the baby.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:45 pm
R there any specific baby bath tubs that r recommended for newborns? I'm wondering if there's a tub that would make baby feel more secure.

bubble gum

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:30 am
Do you cover the baby's chest and tummy while she's in the tub? I find this really helps. I have a fisher price baby tub that has a little ledge inside for the baby to "sit" on. But the baby is really only subermerged from the waist down so they get cold! So after placing the baby in, I take a cloth diaper or a large washcloth and wet it with the warm water from tub and lay it on the baby's chest/tummy. And then as I wash the baby I keep rewetting the cloth with warm water so the baby stays warm.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:40 am
My dd used to scream until first time I prepared for the Mikva after birth and I took my first bath post birth. I discovered that what felt comfortable on my wrist was way too hot for my body. I felt like the worst mother ever Sad I started giving her cooler baths and she was much happier.

Make sure it's the right temperature.

solo

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 3:01 am
2/3 of my newborns screamed too. They liked to be crunched up and swaddled- fetal position. And that can't happen in a tub. They didn't like being dressed or undressed either. There r things u can do to make it more comfortable though.
Have everything ready so the bath from getting them undressed to wrapped in towel is as quick as possible.
Place babies hands together on his chest and hold them there while u wash. (Moro reflex had thier arms spread wide and that was upsetting to them)
Put a towel or washcloth on the top part of the bathtub and use it to cover exposed parts.
Bathtime used to stress me out. I think I sang to comfort myself. And then eventually they start to love it. And so do I.

chani8

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 3:01 am
I have two ways to deal with bathing a baby that doesn't like the bath. Keeping the baby wrapped in a towel the whole time. Yes, the towel gets wet, too. Or, not giving a bath. Instead, using wipies for a wipe down of the body. However, often a shampoo is still necessary, because of cradle cap. But baby can be wrapped in a towel for that.

If you have cradle cap, soak baby's scalp in olive oil or baby oil for 1/2 hour before shampoo, and use a baby brush or comb during the shampoo.

Anyway, no matter what you do about the bath, the most important thing is to moisturize baby's skin afterwards.

sunny90

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 3:32 am
Also make sure the room is warm! I have a heater in the bathroom that I turn on about half an hour before my kids have their showers (and me too!) and I find it's much less jarring for the baby.

bigblueyes

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 6:39 am
I second the washcloth,keep redipping it in the hotwater. I learned it from our baby nurse. Also,if she takes a pacifier no reason not to give her in the bath!

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 7:07 am
I started using a bigger bath for my Nb- not the modern type where baby sort of sits inside , but the older type where I have to hold the baby . This way I hold her tight the entire time, I put lots of warm water and she feels warm and secure . Since I started that - she's mucu happier in the bath.

pointyshoes

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 7:42 am
They all scream. They need the comfort and security of having clothes on.
Mine started enjoying baths at around 4-6 weeks.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:18 am
I give my newborns a bed bath & basically keep them covered the entire time.

pause

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:22 am
Dip your elbow in to test the temperature of the water. It should feel warm but not hot.

Keep her hands and legs bundled together with one hand while you hold her with the other. As others have said, babies like the fetal position; they are not comfortable with hands and feet exposed and flailing around. That's also why they like being swaddled. So I just hold them (all body parts Smile ) together with one hand.

Debbig

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:39 am
I just gave my babies the fastest bath I could. My mother in law takes a thin diaper cloth and wraps the baby in it and puts them in the bath and they love it. She cleans them with a bar of soap over the cloth.

Debbig

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:40 am
Also like some posters said it's usually temporary they learn to enjoy it pretty quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics