Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Encopresis
Previous  1  2

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 7:09 pm
coral a mother it doesnt sound like encopresis.

It sounds like just constipation. anything more severe is encopresis and is very difficult to get rid of.

Can someone tell me there is success in this area?

Someone who has been through such an advanced case and saw the cleanout helping?

Dh doesnt want ds to do the cleanout and instead to take dc off of dairy. Does that sound normal?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 7:17 pm
Can someone tell me what the procedure is called of cleaning out the colon? they insert a tube through the nose and goes through to the colon.

I am really nervous about it. I think I need to speak fwith the doctor to explain it. the doctor makes it sound like its nothing.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 7:19 pm
I am going through this with an eight year old (almost 9) son.

OP this is a real tough challenge.
I totally feel for you.

But please please realize that for your child this is very very embarrassing and shameful even if he/she is not expressing it.
This child ends huge extra dose of love and validation.

We have done enemas, increase fiber, decrease dairy, some probiotic vitamin. We we improvement but we are still in the parsha.

Hugs

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 7:21 pm
Babypink amother, your dh doesn't understand how encopresis works if he's advising you not to do a cleanout. There is no way to resolve this problem without emptying the colon of its impaction.

The way we did it, we took our son for a series of colonics by a professional nurse/colon therapist, on the advice of our chiropractor. It took many sessions. It's basically a professionally administered enema.

I wish I could say this was the cure for him - no he is still not healed - but since we maintained it with daily suppositories, I'm confident he isn't impacted again. But what next? Will his bowel ever regain its function and sensitivity and tone? I'm glad I'm up to this point, but I wish I knew what lies ahead, and how to help him next. Right now I'm just hoping that an otherwise healthy child will with time, heal.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 7:32 pm
On a philosophical note, I'm thinking, the reason this condition is so difficult to cure is because often, by the time we parents become aware of it, it's been developing for some time and a lot of damage has been done. Think about it, if your child suddenly develops a cough, a rash, a limp, you notice it and promptly address it. But once a child is fully toilet trained, parents aren't usually aware of the details, and don't realize something is problematic until the leaking occurs, which is an advanced stage. And even then if they haven't heard of this condition they have no idea what's really going on. Hence when they finally tackle it, they face an extremely challenging tasks of clearing the impaction and rehabilitating the nerves and muscle tone of the colon. And this must be done at home, by the parents, a doctor can guide you but can't administer the cure.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:08 pm
I guess I need to somehow explain dh that its not wise to do it. but dh wants to postpone the cleanout and try to get dc off of dairy and see if thats a culprit.

Clearly some people have been saying that dairy causes constipation but the doctor didnt say so. I noticed that dairy causes dc to have an accident. but not diahrea.

I do notice that every time dc eats dairy the stomach acts up.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:14 pm
A GI can tell from an external examination if there's an impaction, and if it's not clear they can prescribe an abdominal x-ray. It may be wise to determine exactly what's going on before determining a course of action. Going off dairy may be wise, but I can't see how that would help clear an impaction, if there is one.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:38 pm
But some people react from dairy. so maybe that is causing the impaction. if the medications arent helping I feel there is some merit to this.

Hey, I might be wrong.

I do notice that dairy has an impact on dc stomach. If I do a trial and see if it improves and continue to give medications.

Then I can safely assume that dairy is the culprit.

I dont know if I can get rid of the impaction alone though.

I guess a talk with the doctor is due now.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:42 pm
To linen amother.

I was by the doctor and an external was done and an xray. I was told dc is very impacted. even after doing the fiber, miralax, exlax and time voiding.

I guess the doctor has to explain to dh that a cleanout is a must even though he would want to try to dairy issue.

I have also been reading from other blogs that a lot of water is very important. dc isnt drinking nearly enough.

I feel dc isnt cooperating much. just going to the bathroom and eating and taking medications isnt enough.

Maybe the psych will be able to get through to dc and explain it better how important and how helpful it is so dc will do more and be more in control of decisions regarding what dc should do. instead of me being the nudge.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:54 pm
Linen amother it sounds like you are really in this same page with me. I guess you have experience.

Dc is 7 and has it for about 3 yrs. I am mightily trying to be calm and not show frustration and trying to make dc realize that dc shouldnt be afraid to tell me of having a accident.

I told dc just now that I am preparing a basin and dc can put dirty underwear there. in such a calm tone. I cant believe it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:04 pm
My son had the cleanout with the tube in his nose. It's not nothing. He was in the hospital for 3 days. First they knocked him out to put in the tube. After that, they put him in a private room and pumped in the concentrated GoLightly stuff. He was hooked up to an IV the whole time for fluids (no eating for the whole time).

For the most part he was ok but bored. At one point he got nauseous and threw up. The cleaning crew was on call to clean up messes.

Afterwards he was put on a strict regimen of mirilax and milk of magnesia to make sure he stayed clear. If he misses even a day, he runs the risk of getting impacted again.

Unfortunately, it didn't work long term. So far the only thing that really works is the Peristeen.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:05 pm
Cooperation is a huge issue! My son is 8. He wouldn't drink the endless cups of water with Miralax needed to do a cleanout, he wouldn't take magnesium citrate, just about anything I tried to give him became a huge battle. That's one of the reasons we did the colonics and switched to the morning suppositories.
He's asleep, he doesn't fight it. He's really ok with it though.

Let me know if you're in the NY/NJ area and want the info re colon therapist. I don't think there's anyone else who treats children this way. It was a real help for us to get the impaction cleared.

My chiropractor recommended taking him off gluten and dairy, but that is so so difficult to do and we didn't know it would be the cure. The colon therapist didn't think a change of diet would be our yeshua, so as of now I haven't pursued it, but I may have to reconsider at some point.

Yes I've been dealing with this for years! Forever! At least this child is extra adorable and a very easy personality, to compensate and make him be easy to love anyway.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:17 pm
Also, if your child isn't telling you regarding accidents it's probably because honestly they aren't aware. I believe my son when I ask him if he had an accident and he says he doesn't know he has to go check. They really lose a certain sensitivity, I get it that it's hard to understand it. So don't make a big deal of that. Personally I just ask him to throw out dirty underwear.

Regarding drinking water - I had a water cooler installed and it really did change my entire family's drinking habits so it's worth considering if you don't have one yet.

Re added fiber - don't! If they're not cleaned out, adding fiber will be like adding glue on top of cement. It won't help, only harm. Fiber is only good to keep a clear system running well (in addition to water). (As per same colon therapist).

miami85

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:22 pm
After taking my kids to 2 different GIs about their "not going" and doing Miralax, Benefiber, Exlax and suppositories and it only getting worse--both the "not going" and my kids' behavior b/c they weren't going. I will say that my kids are 5 &3 and never had an official "encopresis" diagnosis, but I think we were headed in that direction if things didn't improve. I tried a product called "Constipation Ease" by Mommy's Bliss. Before that I was going through the suppositories regularly--the situation was really driving me crazy. A few months ago I realized we were out so I stopped by a pharmacy on the way home and they didn't have the suppositories I used, and I really wanted to stop anyway. I bought the Constipation Ease--and I haven't used a suppository since! My kids used it for 3 months straight--until we recently ran out and I wasn't able to get to the store. But you know what? They are going now. On their own, even if the stool is hard. Constipation Ease is considered a "natural" remedy, with fennel, prune juice (I mix it in with their milk, and they don't seem to mind it). It didn't give my kids cramps like the Exlax did and I didn't have to "time my kids" to make sure I was near a bathroom. No diet changes, no elimination diets. My kids are now calmer and much more plesant. I want to tell everyone about this product. It made my kids regular without making them nuts, or me nuts.

chani8

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 3:22 am
For sure stop the dairy. And possibly wheat.

I disagree with the invasive colonic. It can wait until you've tried more gentler healing tools, like dietary changes.

Is there constipation? Or the opposite? If the child poops several times a day and it's soft, then it's not constipation. If it is watery, then it's possibly constipation. Your Dc sounds like s/he's suffering with IBS, pooping uncontrollably after eating. Time how long after eating until pooping. The closer the two are occurring, the more diet is a probable culprit.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 11:42 pm
My son has regressed. Any success stories yet?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 12:46 am
Hi I just saw this old thread bumped up and it was interesting to read my old responses as amother linen. Boruch hashem I think it's in the past for us. My son is 12 now and we've been dealing with this his whole life. The blogs I read said it usually resolves by puberty. I think it did it for us, it only seems gone as of the last few months. I hope he won't relapse.

I know its crazy hard. Any practical advice I have is posted in my previous responses but those are all good ideas. But please please try to see your child first and the enco second. And allow them to retain their dignity and feel loved.

My son is ka'h a wonderful young man today, kind and caring and mature, and I credit it to the always putting him before his condition.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:28 am
I just want to say that I feel so sad for all of you and your children dealing with this. Last week, I had severe constipation and in trying to get it cleared, had both diarrhea and blockage. At one point I attempted to get off the toilet and for two hours, every time I moved, I leaked. There was literally nothing I could do but wait it out. I could not feel the leaking happening but when I tried to wipe, it was there. Or I heard it go into the toilet but didn’t feel it.

The next day, it happened again because the blockage was still there but thank god, it finally resolved. I understand why a child might hesitate to go when it’s so painful and nightmarish. I was even bleeding from it. I hope it resolves well for all.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics