Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is this nerdy or cute for teachers?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 9:07 pm
I was browsing Dollar Trees website for ideas...
Should I give shaloch manos for teachers in a large colorful measuring cup along with the recipe for a successful teacher? If yes, can anyone help me with the recipe (2 heaping Tbls. of love, etc)?

cone

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 10:10 pm
2 full cups of patience. Caring,devotion, warmth......

kb

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 10:13 pm
I googled it for you.

1 cup Caring
2 cups Knowledge
1/2 cup Good Communication
1/4 cup Relevance
3 cups Encouragement
2 tsp. Task Oriented
2 Tbsp. Flexibility
1 Tbsp. Outgoing Personality
4 tsp. Positive Attitude
8 Tbsp. Respect
A pinch of Humor

Whisk together Caring, Knowledge, and Communication in a bowl. Stir together Respect and a Positive Attitude in a cup.
Beat together items in the bowl and Flexibility with an electric mixer until comfortable and responsible, about 3 minutes, then add Encouragement until combined well. Mix all of the above together and a little Task Orientation alternately in batches at low speed (scraping down side of bowl occasionally), beginning and ending with the caring mixture. Mix until smooth.
Spoon 1/4 cup Relevance about 2 inches apart and spread onto an experienced large background. Bake in middle of oven until just right, and teachers react when hot, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer with a metal spatula to a rack and chill (to cool quickly), about 5 minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of Humor and wha la, you have your Tasty Teacher! Enjoy!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 3:54 pm
Honestly a bit odd...

groisamomma

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 10:07 pm
Why would you tell the teacher what it takes to be a good teacher? Nice idea coming from a principal, strange coming from a parent.

Tiredmom7

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 10:16 pm
I did it one year but I changed around the poem to make it relevant to my child and the teacher. It was very individualized. All the teachers really loved it. I don't think I put such a long part after the ingredients though. Bust something like mix all together and the result is a wonderful Morah (put her name in).

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 10:24 pm
it's not nerdy, it's just plain awkward. then again, I find anything cutesy awkward. here's what I do: send in a nice chocolate gift box with a bottle of sparkling grape juice and a simple thank you card. I also send a large cookie/cupcake platter to the office with a thank you card for the staff. some of my son's future teachers already know me because I do this for chanuka as well. it doesn't hurt to have the teachers associate you with cupcakes before they teach your kid, and I think the office staff appreciates the recognition. it doesn't hurt your impression with the principals, either.

when I worked in a classroom, I really didn't like the cutesy things I was given. the thought was appreciated, but I had no need for all the clutter that was given to me. some teachers enjoy the items, but they'd enjoy cookies/chocolates/a gift card just as much. no one is thinking "oh man, why couldn't they get me a nice measuring cup?" some of them ARE thinking, "wow, this is really thoughtful, but now I feel bad throwing out the measuring cup. I feel so guilty wasting this parent's money and efforts, but I have no need/room for this!"

what I have done for preschool teachers for end-of-year gifts: bought out target's dollar section of all school supplies. I made up packages for the teachers: cardboard pencil holders with photo frame on front (pic of my kid with the teacher in the frame) stuffed with mini dry erase markers,magnetic eraser for chalkboard/dry erase board, pen and notepad set, funky pencils, a drawing my kid made as a thank you card, hand sanitizer. total cost? $5 per teacher. these are items teachers are likely to actually use. wrapped in cellophane with a ribbon and a thank you card. they were very cute, and I doubt anyone felt guilty throwing out the pencil holder or picture of my kid.

I have also bought a small vase with two nice flowers in it, tied a ribbon around the vase neck and attached a photo keychain with a picture of my kid and the teacher/preschool director and a thank you note written on the back of the photo. I gave it at the end of the week, so the flowers were for shabbos, the vase was already functional (these were real flowers), and the photo keyring could be used for pictures of their own kids if they wanted, thrown out, or kept without taking up valuable space.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 10:57 pm
I actually think it is a really cute idea!

debsey

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 10:59 pm
I think it's cute! At worst, teacher will roll her eyes a bit at the corniness.....but it's sweet.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 11:00 pm
My sister is a teacher and got this a few times from students. It's a nice gesture. You can write a thank you related to measurement etc...like our appreciation to all you do is un-measurable...

Last edited by flowerpower on Sat, Feb 27 2016, 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

groisamomma

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 11:01 pm
Tiredmom7 wrote:
I did it one year but I changed around the poem to make it relevant to my child and the teacher. It was very individualized. All the teachers really loved it. I don't think I put such a long part after the ingredients though. Bust something like mix all together and the result is a wonderful Morah (put her name in).

This makes more sense.

debsey

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 11:02 pm
Tiredmom7 wrote:
I like this alot! If I was the teacher, I'd appreciate.

happyjewish woman

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 11:07 pm
I think its very cute

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 12:24 pm
I also think it's a little awkward. Why are you telling her the ingredients she's supposed to have as a teacher? When I taught I appreciated the warm, heartfelt, personal Thank you notes. like this:

Dear Morah,
_______ (fill in kids name) Loves being greeted by your warm smile each and everyday. We really apprecate everything you do for our child. Specially, ______________,________________, and _________
We are so lucky that you are __________ teacher this year.

It didnt matter what was inside, but I def. appreciated the chocolates rather then the home-baked goodies. Wink

rachelle613

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 12:47 pm
I found it so weird when as a teacher, I'd get keychains with a picture of a child inside it. I have my own kids, why would I want a keychain with your child? What exactly was I supposed to do with it? I guess it was a nice gesture but it felt strange to me. (This also happened when I still single, and again, I had no interest in having a random kids picture on my car keys...)

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 1:31 pm
rachelle613 wrote:
I found it so weird when as a teacher, I'd get keychains with a picture of a child inside it. I have my own kids, why would I want a keychain with your child? What exactly was I supposed to do with it? I guess it was a nice gesture but it felt strange to me. (This also happened when I still single, and again, I had no interest in having a random kids picture on my car keys...)

yes, and that's why I printed it on printer paper (feel free to throw it out) and used it as the paper for the thank you note. I know some teachers like to keep photos of students. I knew these teachers fairly well and felt they would appreciate the gesture. the preschool director keeps the keychain and likes to compare the picture with how big my daughter is now. no idea if the others kept theirs or replaced the photo with something else. as the recipient of many gifts, I would feel a lot less odd throwing out a keychain than an expensive clock (got one of those and kept it for years before finally convincing myself that I really didn't like it) some form of houseware that is completely useless and takes up space, or an ugly piece of jewelry/a pretty piece of jewelry that I don't choose to wear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics