Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Kornfeld TRAGEDY!!!!
Previous  1  2  3

mommy2

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 8:50 pm
Quote:
Ive been thinking alot about this over the last week, and I actually do put my 3 month old on her tummy cos she wont sleep on her back....

By my last baby I asked my dr. if its ok if my baby sleeps on his stomach bc he sleeps so much better, he said its precisely for this reason y its a higher risk for sids, basically they sleep too well. And now with my newborn when I try to give him tummy time to play either when hes active he gets frustrated being on his stomach or when relaxed he'll fall asleep so its a real tease.

mommy2

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 8:54 pm
Quote:
ONE night, he was extra fussy so she put him on his stomach, and he never woke up...

A while ago I read in Parents magazine that if you usually put your child to sleep on his back and then 1 day put him on his stomach its even more dangerous. Another issue is that u have to remember this is not the only thing to avoid sids, its also avoiding blankets, bumpers, stuffed animals...

baby's mom

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 8:56 pm
hindyandrafi wrote:
Ive been thinking alot about this over the last week, and I actually do put my 3 month old on her tummy cos she wont sleep on her back.... My husband told me something that has helped put me a bot more at ease....WE all understand that hashem rules the world, we cannot outsmart him, he dedides when are time is up in this world.. do you thik that it would make a difference how the baby was sleeping.. if the baby has to go, it would be whichever way!!!

I know its not easy to relax with this thought, but if you think it through, it makes sence..

I agree with you and your husband . PLus they are not sure what causes SIDS!!
This lady I saw at the gym told me that her grandson died of SIDS while he was sitting in his babysitters arms!!
Plus every few years they change their minds on what the best position is..

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 9:37 pm
mommy2 wrote:
Quote:
ONE night, he was extra fussy so she put him on his stomach, and he never woke up...

A while ago I read in Parents magazine that if you usually put your child to sleep on his back and then 1 day put him on his stomach its even more dangerous. Another issue is that u have to remember this is not the only thing to avoid sids, its also avoiding blankets, bumpers, stuffed animals...

nursing, too, helps prevent. I'm just wondering why they stress the "back to sleep" and not "nurse as long as possible" too...I understand not everyone can nurse, but you stressed the importance, people may try harder.
Risks are there either way. B"H the percentages are small. But you have to judge your own situation what you think is best. And daven.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 9:44 pm
I have also read that formula feeding increases the risk of SIDS. Since their tummy is too full and they sleep to deeply. There are alot of risk factors when it comes to the safety of our children.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 10:47 pm
I think the posts discussing SIDS should be moved to a new thread... it seems inapropriate here. Mods?

deedee

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 11:58 am
why dont u just put babies to sleep on their sides? that is what I always did. I was not comfortable to put her to sleep on her back.

micki

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 12:51 pm
last night I put my baby to slepe on her side and she flipped nto her stomach in her sleep.
I have to dig out that foam blocks that prevent her from rolling

klotzkashe

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 9:56 pm
I put my 7mth old son (who's quite a big baby but not fat and can roll around etc.) on his back and wrapped until about a week ago. I bought a GROBAG and have been putting him in it since. THey are amazing!!! THe only reservations I had about giving up wrapping him up is that he now sleeps on his stomach. I try to put him to bed well after his last bottle but im still checking on him at least 3 times a night. Im just terrified...and have been since the beginning.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 10:12 pm
I don't understand what you mean by "wrapping him" - like swaddling? What does a gro-bag do and why can't you put him on his back?
Btw, by the time a baby can roll over and stuff, his chances of SIDS declines. My 1 year old is constantly turning over in his sleep. You can't make yourself crazy. (not that I do....I've put him on his stomach)

supermom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 6:47 am
[quote="baby's mom]This lady I saw at the gym told me that her grandson died of SIDS while he was sitting in his babysitters arms!!
Plus every few years they change their minds on what the best position is..[/quote]

now that is horrible Sad the poor girl must have been tramitized but why would they say it is sids maybe his heart just stopped beating or something. or the brain stopped. why sids?

hindyandrafi

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 7:21 am
There is also a monitor that I just borrowed off a friend, it goes under the baby's mattress and it senses their breathing.. If it doesnt sense anything for 20 seconds, it sounds a VERY loud alarm...

I will connect it tonight, and let you know.... I dont know if this will put my mind at ease or just further breed neuroses!!!!!

BTW!!!! My friend said one night whil using it, it went off, and she RAN!!! thr baby had snuggled up in the corner of the crib, and it didnt pick up the sounds there!!!!!!

Does anyone else use this???

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 12:20 pm
I just read an article in BabyTalk magazine about SIDS. you can't get to it online unless you subscribe, so I'll try to type up some of it tomorrow. but they went through all the myths (vaccinations do NOT increase the risk of SIDS) and gave the usual recommendations (back to sleep, no pillows, stuffed animals...). they did NOT recommend the monitor or putting baby on it's side. there was a "machlokes" about bumpers- but if you do use them, they should be firm, not fluffy. make sure baby isn't too warm or too full - both of these will put baby into a deeper sleep.

deedee

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 2:04 pm
Quote:
gave the usual recommendations (back to sleep, no pillows, stuffed animals...). they did NOT recommend the monitor or putting baby on it's side

what happens if C"S a baby spits up in its sleep,while on its back, they could choke on it!!!! this is why I put my baby to sleep on her side.

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 2:08 pm
deedee wrote:
Quote:
gave the usual recommendations (back to sleep, no pillows, stuffed animals...). they did NOT recommend the monitor or putting baby on it's side

what happens if C"S a baby spits up in its sleep,while on its back, they could choke on it!!!! this is why I put my baby to sleep on her side.

my baby is the BIGGEST spitter (like 3 times after each feeding). my Dr. told me I could keep him in more of an upright position when sleeping. I was for a while, but now I lie him flat. and I've seen him spit up- he turns his head to the side. but I do understand your concern.

baby's mom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 3:19 pm
supermom wrote:
[quote="baby's mom]This lady I saw at the gym told me that her grandson died of SIDS while he was sitting in his babysitters arms!!
Plus every few years they change their minds on what the best position is..

Quote:
now that is horrible Sad the poor girl must have been tramitized but why would they say it is sids maybe his heart just stopped beating or something. or the brain stopped. why sids?
[/quote]

My guess is that the baby suddenly died for no apparent reason. Isn that what SIDS is all about. Its a sudden death. It has nothing to do with the position of the baby when they sleep. Researchers say that it MAY decrease the chances. But so does nursing and all the other things.

I agree that this this needs its own thread.

klotzkashe

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 7:05 pm
Wrapping = Swaddling

He coudlnt' fall asleep swaddled until now bc he would hit himself and wake himself up. So I just kept wrapping him like a newborn all along. Now that he got bigger he started getting out of his wrapping and so I was nervous about him rolling around in bed under his blankets C'V. Grobags are really great. It basically looks like a pinafore with a sleeping bag at the bottom. They are very expensive but I recommend the original grobag brand becasue they have tested the material and given you a thermometer which tells you how cold/warm the baby's room is and what the baby should be wearing under the grobag so that they will not overheat or get cold. B"H sleeping for the baby has become much easier! I also feel alot more secure in putting him to bed because I know that while he may be on his stomach there are no suffocation dangers BH!

BTW Hindyrafi - if the monitor picks up nosound/movement/breathing after 20 seconds you BH have a good leeway to check on your baby (provided you do it relatively soon) because 20 seconds of not breathing is not yet dangerous to the baby's brain or life. But you must check them right away!

I wanted to buy one of those when I brought my baby home from hosp. but dh claimed they'd make me crazy! ( I think he was right! but I was crazy anyway!)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 9:56 pm
yes, I heard you shouldn't use them unless you have a risk....as they'll drive you crazy

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 1:12 pm
Here are some quotes from the babytalk article:
Quote:
Putting your baby on her back to sleep is still the most important way to reduce her SIDS risk. One possible explanation for why back sleeping lowers risk is that a baby who sleeps on her stomach is more likely to "rebreathe" the oxygen-depleted air that she just exhaled. Since 1992, when the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and other health organizations recommended that doctors promote infant back sleeping, the number of SIDS deaths has been cut by more than half. At the time, 70 percent of U.S. infants were sleeping on their stomach; more than ten years later that number has plummeted to 14 percent. (Side sleeping is not recommended because infants can easily turn and end up on their stomach.) The only downside associated with back sleeping is a flattening of the head in some babies, but doctors say "tummy time," when the baby is awake and being supervised by an adult, can help prevent this. If a baby gets used to sleeping on his back from birth, he won't need any device to keep him on his back. In fact, so-called SIDS positioners are not recommended by the AAP, First Candle, or the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.

Quote:
Reconsider co-sleeping
Even moms who don't consider bed sharing a permanent arrangement are tempted to doze off with their baby occasionally for both comfort and convenience. But experts warn this can be dangerous. "A good dozen or so very well-controlled epidemiological studies show a relationship between bed sharing and SIDS," says John Kattwinkel, M.D., Charles Fuller Professor of Neonatology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine in Charlottesville and chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics task force on SIDS.....
Some advocates like La Leche League International and William Sears, M.D., believe co-sleeping can be done safely and offer suggestions for preparing your bed for safe co-sleeping. (To learn how, visit LaLecheLeague.org or AskDrSears.com.)

Quote:
20 percent of SIDS deaths occur when someone other than a parent is watching the baby (14 percent in daycare settings), SIDS experts say caregivers need to get the word on SIDS safety, particularly back sleeping. A baby who habitually sleeps on his back is even more vulnerable to SIDS if placed on his tummy to sleep, according to a recent Washington University Medical School study.

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 1:13 pm
And some more:
Quote:
5 myths about SIDS
You've got enough to worry about — don't let these common misconceptions keep you up at night.

-Vaccines cause SIDS. Because babies begin getting vaccines during the peak period for SIDS (2 to 4 months), some parents have feared that vaccines might be to blame. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, however, reports that studies contradict this. As vaccines have increased, SIDS has steadily declined.

Sleep apnea increases SIDS risk. Apnea, a condition most common in premature infants when breathing stops for 20 seconds or longer, was thought for years to be a risk factor for SIDS. More than 30 years of research indicates that there is no clear relationship, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).

Home monitoring devices can help prevent SIDS. The AAP states that there is no proof that home monitoring devices reduce the risk of SIDS. Parents should instead follow the current guidelines to protect their babies.

Having more than one baby die of SIDS is suspicious. Research has shown that multiple unexplained infant deaths in a family are far more likely to be caused by SIDS than by child abuse. Investigators today are better trained than in the past to differentiate SIDS from abuse.

Back sleeping can cause choking. This one is popular with grandmas who were taught to put babies to sleep on their stomach. Back-sleeping babies can easily turn their heads to the side to let spitup out. The dramatic decrease in deaths since "Back to Sleep" proves that this is the safest way for a baby to sleep.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics