Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Part-time job and college classes

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:15 pm
Has anyone pulled it off?

I'm currently working on my degree online and I'm looking for information about attending live classes next year.

How many hours a week would I need to spend in class? Is it possible to work out a schedule with Sundays and another two days of classes, so I can keep my twice-weekly job?

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:22 pm
Where do you live?
In Touro (Flatbush and BP) they offer evening classes and Sundays. I did it while working 9-5 (but before I was married, so no childcare or home responsibilities).

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:26 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Where do you live?
In Touro (Flatbush and BP) they offer evening classes and Sundays. I did it while working 9-5 (but before I was married, so no childcare or home responsibilities).

I live in Brooklyn, but I'm wondering if I can manage classes during the day, during those two days I don't work (plus Sundays.) My youngest will be starting school next year, but they will still need me during bedtime, so night classes won't work.

How many hours of class time would I need to put in every week?

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:32 pm
Each class is around 2 hours and you need at least four classes per semester to be considered a full time student.

I'm pretty sure Touro on J is only Tuesday and Thursday evenings for women only. In Machon L'Parnasa classes are everyday starting from 1PM but this is only an Associate's program (first 60 credits) and not every class may be available. You can view their schedules online to see if the classes work for you.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:45 pm
I'm not particular about it being Touro, necessarily. I'm wondering if it's at all possible to pull it off, even in a community college or wherever.

I will check out Touro's schedule. Thank you.

newmother

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:48 pm
I know people who where in Brooklyn college and arranged their schedule that they could work as well. It is more complicated than going to touro, since in touro the day is made to accommodate someone working but is doable (and much cheaper!)

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 10:20 pm
I went to Touro while working twice a week.
Both Avenue J and Boro Park locations have day classes. There were some semester that I took only day classes, and others that I combined night and day classes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics