Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sippy cups to bed

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:02 pm
My son just turned three. He brings a sippy cup to bed with him. Its filled with 90 percent water 10 percent juice. He doesnt actually fall asleep on it. He drinks it after we say shema than rolls over and goes to sleep. I dont really want to stop it cuz bh bedtimes are in a very very nice routine now. He wears a diaper at night and im not ready to night train him anyway. Hes my oldest. Is this very late to.still have a.cup in bed or normal. When did u stop with your kids. Should I try to stop it now cuz the older he gets the harder its gonna be or just let it be. What do all u wise experienced moms have to say.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:36 pm
Cut back the juice gradually (even in diluted form, the juice sugars are bad for the teeth at night) till it's just water. Then, don't do anything else. He will most likely decide that sippy cups are too babyish at some point, and graduate to using a cup in the bathroom or kitchen.

I don't believe in refusing children access to water when they are thirsty, even after bedtime.

Unless they are nighttime wetters, in which case, follow a doctor's suggestions.

mochacoffee

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:45 pm
I always give my toddler twins sippy cups with water to go to bed with. It's just water, no juice. Especially during the winter, they both constantly have coughs and I'm more comfortable knowing they have a drink nearby if they need. Sometimes in middle of the night I hear them drinking. (we share a wall and some sippy cups make a noise as the water's flowing) They sleep in pull-ups but I also keep their potties nearby which they occasionally use at night. Once I fully sleep train them, I'll probably still give water but maybe less in the cup.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:52 pm
No problem with Sippy cups. Just transition to totally water. My 3 yo and 6 yo both have sippy cups. They don't always drink from them but sometimes they wake up thirsty and they do. They did this through night training and it bh bh did not affect the night training at all. I'm fine with 6 yo DD still having a sippy cup, it's basically a spill proof water bottle when you think about it. It's just semantics. Neither of them use the sippy anywhere except in bed.

MMCH

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:52 pm
I would first work on cutting back the juice. even if its diluted, its bad for their teeth.

second,if your ok with him not being night trained, then continue. the issue I would be concerned with , is needing his sippy cup, when you DO want him trained.
3 is young for him to have to be trained at night, ,but if he loves his water in bed with him, training him at 5, won't be any easier.

good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics