Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are you a working mom?
1  2  3  Next

Are you a "working mother" - I.e. have another job aside from home and family
No  
 37%  [ 23 ]
Yes  
 62%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 62

mini mommy me

Post Wed, Oct 13 2004, 11:28 pm
All mothers are working hard I know. Most are busy with diapering, laundry, cooking, homework, bedtime etc. And some are busy with all of the above PLUS another (paying) job aside from running your home and raising your family. Let's use the term "working mother". Please don't take offense b/c truthfully all mothers are working. But for the sake of simplicity, this works best.

I am a working mother and would like to know how many of you are also. Can you vote in this simple poll. And if you have a job, can you post a little bit about your work. And possibly how you are finding the struggle to juggle it all. Maybe if there's enough of us, this could be a separate forum category.

Thanks!

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 4:11 am
Hi I'm up with one of my twins now!
This year I am on maternity leave I am an elementary teacher and truth be known even though I love teaching I wish I could be till my kids moved out of the house a sahm but we can't afford it! so atleast I am enjoying this year. : Very Happy

Rivka

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 7:11 am
I am working 1-6pm I would prefer to work from 9-2pm coz that would give me more of a day and I would be able to make suppers.
I find it very hard working and also doing stuff in the house and when I get home and I find I am very tired and stressed and it is not good for anyone.
I don't work through choice though I would love to say I don't need to work and I am a stay home mum.
I work in a chemist dispensing medicines...so I tend to know what most people in the community take. Like with all jobs you get stress from workmates and customers can be very nasty too. This all takes it's toll.
I would prefer a job where I just sit at a screen all day and sometimes get up and do other stuff.

zuncompany

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 11:37 am
Rivkah... do you have a crockpot? I could get you loads of recipes if you want. You can put up it up before you leave and dinner is ready when you get home.
sara

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 12:55 pm
zun, I never thought of that- using a crockpot- wonderful idea.

I work as well, not out of choice, but bh I have a great working enviroment, great people I work for and I work for a great cause- the friendship circle- a respite program which offers freinds to children with special needs. I feel fullfilled and even if it is just stuffing envelopes, it is helping someone less fortunate then I.

I work from 8:45 am to 12:45 pm , I would rather start a little later, but my sons day care only goes from 8:30 to 1:00. I dont want him to go for longer, there are those that are open longer - but they are more institutionalized- he is in a home day care. I am not looking forward to the snow when I will have to walk to his daycre all bundeled up......but right now its going good.

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 4:52 pm
Zun I would love it if you could send me recipes besides a cholent one that I could use with a crockpot,

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Oct 20 2004, 11:24 am
With my first son I was working for a few months full time. I hated it so much. I was so happy when they laid me off. I had to work at the time because my husband did not find a full time job yet and was watching our son during the day and taking care of the house. It was an interesting role reversal. I have an civil engineering degree and was working as an assistent engineer with mostly men or women that were definetly not thinking about family until their career was "secure" and their life was "secure". They totally didn't know what to do with me. A few weeks before they laid me off they offered me to go to another office. The job would be really great for my career but it would lengthin my commute by an HOUR each way that mean even less time with my family and they would be extending my day by 2 hours. This would mean I would be gone for atleast 12 hours a day and I had a newborn at home. So I said no. I came home that day and cried. I passed up a career move I would have loved only a year before. Now I am a stay at home mom. It took me time to learn how to do it. How to organize my day. How to feel fullfilled when I wasn't earning a pay check. All of my family keep asking me when I am going back to work. Everyone expected me to be a career women. I have been thinking about how to go about maybe going back to work part time. I am adtaully thinking about it partially for the money and also so I can get out a little.

zuncompany

Post Wed, Oct 20 2004, 11:59 am
Shayna... they are hiring by my husband. Email me if you want.

I will post loads of crockpot stuff in the next day on the recipe sections! Smile
Sara

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Oct 20 2004, 12:34 pm
I am just thinking. I forsure won't go back into engineering unless I am a draftsmen. Especially not for a large company. The jobs I had were not family friendly, especially not mommy friendly. I won't even discuss what I had to do to take off for yontif.

zuncompany

Post Wed, Oct 20 2004, 1:04 pm
They have flextime. My husband is home all the time when I need. B"H. He works it out and gets the hours in during other times. I don't think he "took off" at all RH. He just got his hours in other days. YK maybe 2-3 hours for the week. Succos well, that was a whole other story cause we had to go to chi. Also I know IBM is a great place for mommies to work. I have a friend who works there and the benefits she has are amazing! they even have a pumping room!
Sara

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 12:59 am
I couldn't answer your poll, as I work from home. Since I work for myself, I work only when I'm up to it. & b/c I generate residual income, my time off doesn't affect us financially. I can give you some pointers, if you'd like. E-mail me. Smile

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 1:17 am
I have a CIVIL engineering degree. Thats means I worked for companies that built buildings, roads and bridges. Idea There would be no way I could work full time and be a religous mom 8) unless I had atleast a part time husband at home or a full time maid. LOL Lets just put it this way...its rare that a women would have my degree and have the type of work experience I have.

My husband said a joke to me recently. He said on our third date I looked like I just crawled out of a sewer. shock Well that was true. I did spend the day on site supervising the construction of a sewer. Rolling Eyes

Stop trying to encourage me to go back to work. Wink I was just thinking. Wink And the only thinking I was doing was part time work only part time.
PART TIME Wink

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 10:00 am
Hey, I didn't say you should go to work -
I would never say that to a mother.
All I'm saing is that you can work from home around your scedule & be your own boss

micki

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 10:21 am
hey shayna rochel how did yuo end up working in theat field? that is so facinating that you pulled it off! how?
I barely finished a course I was taking, and have actually just started working as a photographer now- I love it. but its hard on everyone at home. I work very part time...

what do you do at home?

zuncompany

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 11:27 am
sorry! Shayna... Just wanted to let you know there are options;)
Sara

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 11:48 am
I know Sara....thats why I tried to put a smile face. Thanks for the suggestions. When I was working, which I only did while pregnant and for a few months after that. I had my husband at home. He kind of appreciates working now. Sometimes I do remind him of those days, so he doesn't think I have it so easy. Both of us were unhappy then. My husband wanted to be working and I wanted to be home my son. The hard thing is that I can get a much better paying job than my husband but I want to be home with the kids so badly. If it wasn't for the fact that I got laid off, we still might be in that situation. Working mothers have it hard. If I was going to be a religous woman and have more than the American 2.3 children then I couldn't be a career woman. I know that there are woman out there that do it but it wouldn't be me.

How did I get into that field you ask...ever since I was a little girl I was very interested in the construction of buildings. So when I got to college I thought I might take a course and see if I liked it. I loved the course. Even while in college all my jobs were in my field. I was mostly a draftsmen and sometimes worked at a construction company. I really liked the type of work at the construction company but it was hard to work there because they were not used to women unless they worked as as a secretary. I rarely rarely worked with women, unless it was an office setting. I really liked working in the field.

Photography sounds interesting a fun. Hows that as a working mother.

When I was a working mother, I got a book about being a working mother. The book wasn't that helpful because it didn't really stess what us a religous women go through and our questions. Like how to make Yontif amd shabbos, and the fact that we may be on maternity leave every 2 years. Rolling Eyes

chestnut

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 11:53 am
ShaynaRochel wrote:
I passed up a career move I would have loved only a year before.

I just had a similar situation. I declined a job at Social Security Administration bec. I'm gonna have a baby. the pay is 40% more than my current, with constant raises, tons of benefits cause it's federal job. BUT it's about 1.5 hours commute each way (as opposed to 15 min now), and problems with short fridays, etc. (now I work in jewish organization).
right after I had an interview I went fro a Dr's appt. and my pregnancy was confirmed.

Yael

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 12:49 pm
what does your husband do?
if you can afford to stay home, by all means stay home!!
why go through the stress and hours if you can choose not to?

chestnut

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 1:21 pm
my husband is working, but getting paid not much. he was on a student visa, and only after marriage applied fr a green card. it's his first "normal" job, cause before marriage he was learning and working part-time. he is still getting used to NY's rent prices Confused he started college, we have to pay for it out of pocket. we have a car fro $1,000 and B'H, got an excellent insurance price for the first time owner (before it took him over an hour to get to/from work, he starts at 8am, and has college right after work)

I work now, and am planning on going back to work after the baby is born, im'h. I get medical insurance from work, and we really won't survive without my income

Rivka

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 2:20 pm
I work and working afternoons is ded hard.
I work for a Jewish boss who is frum but he is male. So when it comes to shabbos and yom tov he doesn't have to do anything apart from get to shul on time.
Basically I get home one hour before shabbos and now the clock has turned back I work on Friday in the morning and all that means is I don't finish work half and hour before shabbos.
It is extremly stressful and means I don't get to rest when I get home.
Yom Tov is worse, so I am thankful there are non in the winter time.
I have to make sure I do my shabbos shopping (apart from Challahs) on Wednesday. It is extremly hard and really I wish I didn't have to work, but if I didn't work I wouldn't be able to live, my husband is a student only recently he found a part time job.
The crock pot thing, I have one sitting in my cupvoard probably has cobwebs on it coz I am a bit worried about leaving it in the house most the day unattended, I am a worry freak sometimes, but I would love to hear recipes for it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics