Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dear Chassidish women what's the minimum to daven each day?
1  2  Next

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 10:45 pm
Dear Chassidish women,

What's the minimum that are you halachically obligated to daven each day?

Thanks.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 10:53 pm
Curious as to why this question is addressed to chassidish women specifically, can you enlighten me?

Riki12345

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:03 pm
That's an interesting q!
We learn that the minimum is basically to daven the whole siddur. When finish with that I say whole tehillim and I try to squeeze in Kol Nidrah when possible 🤔

pause

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:04 pm
Chassidish women are obligated in no formal tefilla, as long as they shave their head.

A chassidish woman who doesn't shave has to add five minutes of davening for each inch of hair on her head.

If she drives, she has to daven an extra 8 minutes total more than everyone else.

And if her sheitel is long, oy yoy yoy, she has to daven a long long long time to make up for all her aveiros.

rgr

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:05 pm
According to the Rambam, and therefore, Sefardim hold, that a woman is required to daven a shevach, bakasha and hodaa every day. So "Thank you Hashem for waking me up, you are the kol yachol (Omnipotent) and please can I have Hatzlocha in my day" is enough to be yotzei.

According to the Shulchan Orech, and therefore Ashkenazim, a woman is required to daven 2 shemonah esrehs a day. (Shacharis and Mincha)

If the woman is "Tadir" or busy, with children she is exempt.

This is according to Rabbi Eliezer Krohn, heard on Torahanytime.com

That is the purely Halachic answer. Much can be said abt this Hashkafically

Last edited by rgr on Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:09 pm
I've heard that the more meikil opinions say women chayav in one tefillah a day. More machmir say two tefillahs. The question is, what can be considered tefillah. According to some, saying modeh ani can be good enough. For sure a shemona esrei is considered tefillah (shevach, bakasha, hodaah). I personally don't have a lot of time to formally daven. But I try to say one shemona esrei a day. Nothing leading up to it and nothing after. Just shemona esrei. And I try to say it with a lot of kavana.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:14 pm
rgr wrote:
According to the Rambam, and therefore, Sefardim hold, that a woman is required to daven a shevach, bakasha and hodaa every day. So "Thank you Hashem for waking me up, you are the kol yachol (Omnipotent) and please can I have Hatzlocha in my day" is enough to be yotzei. According to the Shulchan Orech, and therefore Ashkenazim, a woman is required to daven 2 shemonah esrehs a day. (Shacharis and Mincha)

If the woman is "Tadir" or busy, with children she is exempt.

This is according to Rabbi Eliezer Krohn, heard on Torahanytime.com

That is the purely Halachic answer. Much can be said abt this Hashkafically

I learned the same in an Ashkenaz school.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 12:13 am
But if you live in Lakewood and shake a lot while holding a baby and standing on your front lawn waiting for the bus you get much more credit...

amazingmommy

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 12:31 am
Just talk to Hashem in ur own words

yogabird

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 12:54 am
pause wrote:
Chassidish women are obligated in no formal tefilla, as long as they shave their head.

A chassidish woman who doesn't shave has to add five minutes of davening for each inch of hair on her head.

If she drives, she has to daven an extra 8 minutes total more than everyone else.

And if her sheitel is long, oy yoy yoy, she has to daven a long long long time to make up for all her aveiros.

Only if her husband lets.

doctorima

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 11:13 am
pause wrote:

What if she only agreed to shave in order to get DH to agree to her long sheitel - does it still count?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 11:30 am
Because they don't make women crazy about 3 tefilot, that's why.
My Sefardic grandmother does shema daily.
I do shema and try mode ani.
My then MO rav said it's good for a woman.

grace413

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 11:32 am
rgr wrote:
According to the Rambam, and therefore, Sefardim hold, that a woman is required to daven a shevach, bakasha and hodaa every day. So "Thank you Hashem for waking me up, you are the kol yachol (Omnipotent) and please can I have Hatzlocha in my day" is enough to be yotzei.

I prefer
"Ribono Shel Olam please help me to not kill the children today. Thank you."

loveandpeace

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 11:39 am
Rgr thank you for the post. My mama taught me it's enough to daven in my own language. I try to make it intimate. That's what I do.

funmother

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:48 pm
.old

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
Curious as to why this question is addressed to chassidish women specifically, can you enlighten me?

Probably because in many areas in halacha, different sects of Jews pasken different ways. It is not helpful for OP to hear answers from women who are YU nor answers from yeshivish women. She clearly wants to know what the chassidish women on this site hold.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 5:11 pm
No idea what it has to do with being chassidish, but I've heard that the minimum is shevach, bakasha, and hoda'ah, and that all three of those are in Asher Yatzar, or in Birchos HaTorah (both of which everyone should be saying anyway), and also in bentching.

In practice, most seem to hold more strictly, and almost everyone I know tries for one Shemoneh Esrei a day. I do too, but it tends to happen maybe 2-3 times a week at most Sad

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 5:43 pm
OP, if you post this in the Chassidishe Velt you'll get responses that are more in line with our hashkafos.

Dh is chassidish but pretty machmir in things so not sure you want to go by his psak. Eichlers sells a pocket size pamphlet for women with the basics. When we had little kids I barely said what was on it--brachos and shema. I would daven on my way to work. Shabbos and Sundays I barely davened because I was home with the kids. I felt like I had no connection to HaShem. Now they're a little older so I find time to go to shul on Shabbos morning. Regular weekdays for the last few months I make time to start in the car and shemonei esrei when I get to work. Not ideal, but it totally changes my day.

F. Wein

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:32 pm
pause wrote:

I find this post so terribly offensive! You belittle the thousands of chassidic women who with mesiras nefesh shave, don't drive and wear short sheitels because they believe it's the right thing to do - and you could include me too. I honestly dont know why I'm responding to your nonsense it just irks me that people post such stupid things.

Oh, I forgot. This discussion is about Chassidic women davening so I will tell you what I do. Shema is the most important tefillah so when I literally have just a few minutes I say Shema. When I can, I also say birchas hashachar and in the afternoon I say tehillim. I am as normal as can be despite shaving, not driving and wearing a short sheitel.

crust

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:09 pm
F. Wein wrote:
I find this post so terribly offensive! You belittle the thousands of chassidic women who with mesiras nefesh shave, don't drive and wear short sheitels because they believe it's the right thing to do - and you could include me too. I honestly dont know why I'm responding to your nonsense it just irks me that people pos

t such stupid things.

Oh, I forgot. This discussion is about Chassidic women davening so I will tell you what I do. Shema is the most important tefillah so when I literally have just a few minutes I say Shema. When I can, I also say birchas hashachar and in the afternoon I say tehillim. I am as normal as can be despite shaving, not driving and wearing a short sheitel.

Hi! Welcome to imamother.

Pause is a refined chassidish poster. Knowing who she is I assume this post was written in light of a host of chassidim bashing threads.

I dont know what went on here in 2016 when this post was written but I assume she wanted to put the innocent seeming but not so innocent OP in her place.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics