Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
HELP! I bought the wrong tongue!

noosheen

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 5:36 am
My son loves loves loves pickled tongue. It's his bday this Shabbos and I wanted to surprise him and cook his fav dish. By mistake I bought plain unpickled tongue. I've never made this before and I'm having a ton of company. Any ideas? Please help. I know time is short. It's already Friday morn! Thanks! waiting waiting Help Help

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 5:59 am
If you can, try seeing if you can exchange it. It has only been a short time, and you haven't done anything with the tongue, right?

Second best might be, if you can afford it, to buy what you were planning for DS so that he is not disappointed and you are not under pressure, and then try your hand at pickling the plain tongue yourself on Sunday. That way, it will have more time to cure.

Pickling usually requires water, white vinegar, salt, mixed pickling spices, and often onion and garlic. You cook the tongue with the spices in a vinegar/water mix, then store it in liquid, with the added onion/garlic/spices. You might like experimenting -- when you do not have a house full of guests and a potentially sensitive birthday boy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics