Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
California vacation help

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:46 am
I am thinking of going this summer with kids ages 2-16 iyh. Dh won't join. Where can I go and what transportation is there? I am uncomfortable driving in a new state. What about kosher food? I was thinking of Legoland, Universal( is that Disney), Knott berry farm.... How far are they from each other? Any tips would be very appreciated.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 9:49 am
Why did I get a hug?!

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 10:12 am
If you're not comfortable driving, I don't think this is a good idea. California is very big and spread out, and mass transit there is not very good or widespread, like it may be where you live. The places you mentioned would be great, and I would add Sea World and the San Diego Zoo, but you'll definitely need a car to get around. If you take a GPS and take it easy, it's really not difficult.

r1

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:53 pm
if you don't want to drive maybe do orlando instead?
there is a lot of driving in california

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
I am thinking of going this summer with kids ages 2-16 iyh. Dh won't join. Where can I go and what transportation is there? I am uncomfortable driving in a new state. What about kosher food? I was thinking of Legoland, Universal( is that Disney), Knott berry farm.... How far are they from each other? Any tips would be very appreciated.

If you won't drive, then don't go. All the places you mentioned are very far apart. Disney and universal are separate parks and very far from one another. There is a ton of kosher food in la, most of it is concentrated in one area but again, if you aren't comfortable driving it's an issue. Even for experienced drivers la driving is awful. Traffic, parking etc. you are better off going to a more urban city with good mass transit and much closure attractions.

Universal is in la, Disney is an hour south, Legoland is 2 hours south, etc.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 2:01 pm
Thanks for your replies. I did Orlando twice already so wanted a change. I have been wanting to go to California for a long time. So if I don't feel okay driving there it should be a no-no? I would pay for car fare.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 2:06 pm
I think if you choose one area ( San Diego or Los Angeles etc.) you could do it but you will need to pay for uber. But an uber between San Diego and Los Angeles would be a fortune. I'm not sure it would be the best idea, but it's possible to make it work.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 2:25 pm
I've only been there with our own rental car, but I would imagine that paying a taxi would be exorbitant. You could just go to San Diego and go to Sea World, La Jolla, and the San Diego Zoo for a reasonable price. Legoland is a bit farther away, so you'd need to price that. Universal and Knott's Berry Farm I believe would be cost-prohibitive, though you could instead go to LA and focus on activities in that area.

Again, I don't know you and I don't know what you're used to, but driving out of the tri-state area is so much easier and more pleasant, even in a completely unfamiliar area. The roads are much more open, much less traffic, and people are friendly and patient, so if you're at all comfortable with Waze or GPS, I'd definitely encourage you to go for it - your kids will thank you!

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 3:10 pm
If you choose a hotel carefully, you can definitely take a cab to the San Diego zoo, Sea World, La Jolla Coves and a nearby Beach for not a ton of money (and you can also take public transportation).

You can get to Legoland via a train and bus. It takes about 2 hours according to google maps. There is a hotel literally at the entrance to legoland so you can stay there. The hotel is actually awesome.

If you want to proceed to Disneyland, it would be harder (2 buses and a train) and about 3 hours. It's doable, but you need to plan really well.

If you want to do it, I would recommend staying in San Diego and doing all it has to offer and then go to Legoland and return to San Diego to leave.

If you can drive, it really is easy driving in most of the areas.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 3:12 pm
I agree with doctorima that San Diego could work. I think la could work too if your kids are willing to walk a bit and you will pay for uber. If you stay in the Pico area you can take the bus to Santa Monica ( to the pier and beach) and uber to Hollywood and then take the subway to universal ( or just uber to universal studios). There is a bus from lax to Disneyland so you could uber to lax and then take the bus. Within the Pico area you could walk to grocery stores/ restaurants. I think it could work but I'm not sure how relaxing it would be for you. You will really have to plan if you don't have a car.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:43 pm
1- Thanks for your replies
2-What is La Jolla?
3-How far is San Diego to LA?
4-Is Disneyland worth going to? If yes, how far is it from LA?
5-I'd love to check out Santa Monica beach, what is there to do there? Just relax etc?
6-I am very independent. I am coming from NY. Would you think it's a bad idea to take kids there and pay for uber or should I work hard on making some good plans?
7-What about Hollywood boulevard etc?
8-What would be the best idea to do? Which area to focus on?
9-I realllllllly appreciate it all!

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:58 pm
What most people don't realize is that California is HUGE, it's not like everything is next door. La jolla and la are at least 2 hours apart, la jolla is right next to San Diego. The theme parks are really spread out across Southern California. You can uber but it's going to be a fortune because of distance and time spent waiting in traffic. Santa Monica can be nice, there's a small aquarium by the pier and rides on the pier but beware of a lot of untznius sights for your children. Hollywood boulevard is touristy but not very nice. It's not clean, lots of homeless panhandling etc.

I think that before you keep considering the trip, look at a map and pinpoint each of the locations you are thinking of going so you get a general idea of where everything is. Maybe even mapquest it so you can see what to expect as far as travel time. Everything takes at least an hour between the physical distance and just the sheet amazing unit of traffic/cars on the road.

If you are really set on a trip to la, stay in pico Robertson area. There are all the kosher restaurants and takeout you need. Additionally you can take the Santa Monica blue bus straight down pico to the pier on the beach. Everything else you will need to drive or uber. Like someone mentioned you can uber to the airport and then take a bus to Disney. See if there is some sort of similar transportation down to leg plans and stay in the hotel there. You can also buy park hopper passes for the San Diego zoo, Safari and one other place can't remember.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 12:08 am
Why did I get a hug again?

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 12:27 am
La Jolla is a gorgeous, extremely picturesque area next to San Diego. LA to SD is around 2 hours, but could be much more at rush hour. I wouldn't advise just showing up there and winging it, especially without a car. You don't have to have every last detail planned, but considering your lack of transportation, you don't want to waste the whole trip waiting on cars and buses, and backtracking.

Santa Monica Beach has a cute mini-amusement park and arcade, plus bikes you can rent to bike a short distance to Venice Beach (or beyond), very easy ride and very picturesque. But again, it's really far from San Diego, and as Cyan advised, you should really get out a map of SoCal and look at these places to see where they are and how spread out they are, not to mention the traffic in LA that can be even worse than NYC.

chulentalakiddush

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 2:04 pm
I went to LA this past summer w/my family. We spent an afternoon in Santa Monica. went to the annenberg community beach house. It has a pool and locker rooms and is right off the beach and is clean and nice. http://beachhouse.smgov.net/

I am a big driver and I did not enjoy driving in LA. The streets are huge, 4 lanes on each side and there are lights and its just so busy. But, once on the highways the driving was fine. Since renting a car is not so expensive in LA, would you consider hiring a driver? Call a car service in LA and see what they can offer you for the week? Or if you know anyone who lives there who has a teenage or twenty something age child that would want to work for you?

we went to Disneyland and California Adventures. it was our first time ever going to a Disney park and we absolutely loved it. it's about 45 minute drive from LA
didnt do Hollywood Blvd. we're from nyc and it seemed like times square- an over crowded tourist trap
Venice Beach was fun to see and walk around
la brea tar pits were also interesting
hope this helps!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 2:10 pm
Thank you! It sure does!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics