Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Need good lawyer for BAD speeding ticket on Palisades
Previous  1  2  3  Next

cnc

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:37 am
the world's best mom wrote:
Yet I haven't heard anyone say that OP deserves to pay for her speeding. I've only seen helpful advice in getting out of it.

They certain do deserve to pay, and I don't think anyone gets away with that.
It's the points that people are trying to get rid of. . (If that sounds any better. ..)

Maya

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:38 am
Yet I haven't heard anyone say that OP deserves to pay for her speeding. I've only seen helpful advice in getting out of it.

It's standard procedure and required by law in all traffic courts to conference with the prosecutor to get a plea deal.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:43 am
Maya wrote:
It's standard procedure and required by law in all traffic courts to conference with the prosecutor to get a plea deal.
And therefore?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:47 am
cnc wrote:
They certain do deserve to pay, and I don't think anyone gets away with that.
It's the points that people are trying to get rid of. . (If that sounds any better. ..)
I don't care if they get points. They should get what they deserve, am I wrong?

I am not claiming to be so unsympathetic. If a person can get away with a bit less, good for her. But stop speeding, and stop being so unsympathetic to others who break the law. And the other people weren't even endangering other people's lives. Some of them were simply using government funds incorrectly. Sheesh.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:48 am
And therefore?

And therefore we're telling the OP to go to court and speak to the prosecutor.

This is not about how to get off or avoid paying, it's about how to go about doing the standard procedures.

I'm totally with you. I think speeding is horrible and people should get more than just fines for it. But I don't make the rules.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 7:43 am
It's standard procedure for all criminals to try to defend themselves if possible and to get the lightest penalties they can. That is the same whether the criminal is a speeding driver or a school accepting government funding but not teaching computers.

Neither one is correct. Only one of them is endangering lives, and that's the one people choose to help out. The other one is just seen as bad and needs to pay up. Why is that?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 7:45 am

Sorry, TBM, I usually agree with things that you say. However , in this case, I strongly disagree. I don't know if you drive, and if do do, if you drive on the palisades. The posted speed limit is either 50 or 55. These are completely and totally unrealistic speeds for this type of highway. Driving 65 or 70 on the palisades is completely 100% safe. However, they refuse to change the speed limits because they can easily give out tickets this way, as the vast majority of palisades drivers drive faster than the posted speed limit (including myself). I am an otherwise law abiding citizen, but do not feel bad for not driving an unrealistic 50mph.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 7:56 am
Pardon my ignorance, but why is it that when it comes to other people breaking the law and getting caught, everyone is so quick to say "Good for them. Dina D'Malchusa Dina", yet when you break the law and endanger other peoples lives by speeding tremendously, we talk about how to get out of paying for it? (There are definitely some of the same posters involved in this conversation as the other ones.)

geulah papyrus wrote:
This whole post makes me crazy. Whenever I'm on the Palisades going the posted limit and people pass me and shoot ahead, I always wonder when I'm going to end up the victim of a horrible traffic accident because someone was driving recklessly. Whatever the outcome of your ticket, OP, please drive safely.

Thanks for all the judgment Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If it helps your perception (not that I care), it was 2am and the only car on the road besides us was the cop (who was lying in wait with his lights off) and a car who came up behind us while we were pulled over, after which the cop zipped away from us and promptly pulled over as well (probably for not moving out of the outside lane).

Also, was coming out of a 65 zone, the cop marked down 50 zone, increasing the fine and amount of points.

Tell me the valiant cop was concerned for the safety of law-abiding citizens and thus doing his utmost to protect his country, instead of just looking to write a ticket.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 8:23 am
I do not drive anymore, and I've never driven on the palisades. If you are correct, then OP was not endangering other lives, only breaking the law the same way everyone else does. I could be wrong about that. I don't know if OP was being reckless or not because I wasn't there.

My point was more about people's horrible attitude when it comes to certain groups of people breaking the law. People tend to be unnecessarily harsh in judging others when it is not their own community doing the wrong thing, yet they are so understanding when it's something they may have done themselves.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 8:37 am
a lot has to do with connections. someone recommended a lawyer to my husband when he git a speeding ticket. The lawyer was friends with the prosecutor. I think they went to law school together Smile He spoke to the prosecutor, told my husband what to do in court and then my husband went by himself to court and was given no points. Without a lawyer he would have gotten points which is what we didn't want. The lady at the court asked my husband "who do you know since the prosecutor doesn't usually let you get away like that".

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 8:51 am
Speeding is speeding.
I have driven on the palisades at 70 and I agree it is a "normal" speed for that road. HOWEVER if I would get caught that would totally be on me.
There is a reason there are speed limits.
I got pulled over for doing 42 in a 30 zone (where no one but the truck drivers who can't drive faster do 30) but hey I was guilty I knew I was speeding.

I also HATE when people say "the cop was lying in wait with his lights off. so mean" Um no. That is a: his job and b: completely normal. You, the driver, should be aware. If you see the cop, you slow down if you are speeding, or don't speed to begin with.

However, I do understand that so many points is annoying so I see no reason to take a plea deal that is normal proceedings of a court case. But don't kvetch that you got the ticket or you have to pay $$$ - you got what you deserve.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 10:22 am
Quote:
It's standard procedure for all criminals to try to defend themselves if possible and to get the lightest penalties they can. That is the same whether the criminal is a speeding driver or a school accepting government funding but not teaching computers.

I find it hard to believe that you can equate speeding with illegaly stealing millions of funds from the government, causing a huge chillul Hashem.

groisamomma

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

I find it hard to believe that you can equate speeding with illegaly stealing millions of funds from the government, causing a huge chillul Hashem.

Yeah, they're incomparable. Speeding can kill innocent people causing a huge chillul Hashem and you can sit in jail on manslaughter charges for years.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 4:19 am
groisamomma wrote:
Yeah, they're incomparable. Speeding can kill innocent people causing a huge chillul Hashem and you can sit in jail on manslaughter charges for years.

As I said previously, "speeding" is not necessarily unsafe. You do know that if you drive 35 in a 30mph zone, that's considered "speeding" right? So lets keep that in mind here. Driving 70 on the palisades is not unsafe, but it is 20mph over the speed limit. (If you would drive on the palisades, you would know that 70mph is actually the tyically driven speed there and you are just keeping up with traffic. Only the odd person here or there is driving 50mph).

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:14 am
I actually agree with the world's best mom. not sure at all why people think that it's law abiding to just drive recklessly ... are people actually waiting till they kill someone with a car ?!

oh right new yorkers think they could get away with everything Rolling Eyes

yes people go in looking better when they have a lawyer ... and the legal system is like russian roulette - depends on whom you know & what kind of mood they are all in that morning in court

but people shouldn't be getting to the point of going to court - you should drive carefully

yes a car is a dangerous weapon and should be used responsibly

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:49 am
amother wrote:
As I said previously, "speeding" is not necessarily unsafe. You do know that if you drive 35 in a 30mph zone, that's considered "speeding" right? So lets keep that in mind here. Driving 70 on the palisades is not unsafe, but it is 20mph over the speed limit. (If you would drive on the palisades, you would know that 70mph is actually the tyically driven speed there and you are just keeping up with traffic. Only the odd person here or there is driving 50mph).

I'm not one to argue that all laws are sensible, but the way to deal with illogical laws is to get them changed through lobbying and petitioning, not holding oneself above them because of perceived superior intellect or whatever.

The social contract and government legislation exist for a reason, and believing yourself above it is despicable.

Drive somewhere else or get the law changed. At the very least be remorseful about your actions.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
I'm not one to argue that all laws are sensible, but the way to deal with illogical laws is to get them changed through lobbying and petitioning, not holding oneself above them because of perceived superior intellect or whatever.

The social contract and government legislation exist for a reason, and believing yourself above it is despicable.

Drive somewhere else or get the law changed. At the very least be remorseful about your actions.

Listen, if I get a ticket, I pay it and don't complain, because I know I was speeding. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I feel I am of superior intellect (??). All I'm saying is that the term speeding implies dangerous driving and this is not necessarily so. The bottom line is that to follow the flow of regular traffic on this particular highway, you have to be going at least 65-70 mph.

My mother was in court once with a guy who got a ticket "speeding" at 33mph in a 30mph zone. I was in court once with a guy with a ticket for doing 35 in a 30. Let's get real here.

Again, plenty of times people are speeding dangerously and they should not be doing so.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

You're right. Speeding cannot be equated with illegally stealing millions of funds. It is SO MUCH WORSE.

If you don't believe me, try to picture my little brother for a moment. Six years old with the sweetest brown eyes and long lashes and the most delightful sense of humor. So easygoing and fun... and yeah, the mother of 2 who killed him by SPEEDING, not stealing money, couldn't believe that she'd done it, either.

Now go and have rachmanus on all the speeders who are simply doing what's "normal". And bash those who did financial crimes you hold yourself higher than and judge so badly. If you're a speeder, you're no better than them. You're just another normal murderer waiting to happen. Which makes you a lot worse than them, I hope we can all agree.

Seriously, both are wrong. But chillul Hashem versus a LIFE???

This has nothing to do with the OP. Just those who so hypocritically judge others worse than they do themselves.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 9:08 am
Maya wrote:

This isn't true.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the judgment Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If it helps your perception (not that I care), it was 2am and the only car on the road besides us was the cop (who was lying in wait with his lights off) and a car who came up behind us while we were pulled over, after which the cop zipped away from us and promptly pulled over as well (probably for not moving out of the outside lane).

Also, was coming out of a 65 zone, the cop marked down 50 zone, increasing the fine and amount of points.

Tell me the valiant cop was concerned for the safety of law-abiding citizens and thus doing his utmost to protect his country, instead of just looking to write a ticket.

Where is the 65 mph on the Palisades?

Were you in NY or NJ?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries