Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Purim question about Haman

ruby slippers

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:35 pm
Happy shushan Purim! So DD asked yesterday- why does the megillah sometimes give the full name of haman and other times it just says Haman. Why not just give his full lineage in the beginning and then just call him Haman for the rest of the megillah.
I am sure there is a reason out- Just can't find it...

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 4:22 pm
I have no idea ...

could be that sometimes he is given the status of king's viceroy - whilst at other times he is simply mentioned as part of the story line

ruby slippers

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 4:28 pm
A for effort! Any other ideas out there.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 1:38 pm
No idea, but three times he's Haman ben Hamdata haAgagi. one each for Haman haAgagi and Haman ben Hamdata, and the rest (20+) are just Haman. Also three time's he's "the adversary of the Jews" and once "the adversary of all the Jews".

etky

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 2:28 pm
I think these are literary considerations.
It seems to me that the second time he is called by his full title (the first time in perek gimmel is obviously in way of an introduction), when the kings transfers his ring to him, is for dramatic emphasis and to leave no room for doubt that Haman has now been revealed as a confirmed hater of Jews.
Later he is once again referenced by his lineage and title in the final perakim of the megilla.
In the references in perek chet Esther refers to Haman by his lineage when talking about him and his edict to the king. It sounds like since this is going on record she wants to be as specific as possible and to refer to him by his official designations. Also, in these perakim there is a review and recounting of events - documentation within the megilla itself - so again we have use of as many specifics as possible, at some points for dramatic emphasis as well.
When the action is actually unfolding in the middle perakim of the megilla he is referrenced only as Haman perhaps so as not to burden the narrative with superfluous detail.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 3:03 pm
Etky, I am consistently impressed with your scholarship! Where do you continue learning in such depth?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics