Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need help desperately on visiting countries in Europe

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:39 am
IY"H our family (7 people - parents, 16yo dd, 14yo dd, 7yo dd, 4yo dd & 16mo ds) are going to Europe this summer for 6 weeks from the US.

We have done extensive research on many countries and have narrowed down the list of countries and activities. We are going to the following countries: UK (England only), France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

We would like to get feedback from people who either live in these countries or have traveled to them regarding the following:

1. What sights/activities etc would you definitely include?
2. Anywhere you would avoid?
3. Suggestions on mode of transport between locations? Please bear in mind luggage for 7, strolller, car seat etc... Our kids get car sick but we're still thinking this has to be at least part of the plan.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 5:33 am
You can probably take trains between all of those locations. But renting a car would give you more freedom.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 7:35 am
I live in Belgium so I was almost to all the countries you mentioned.
For the full visit I would rent a 7 seats car for the whole stay.
Uk: sight seeing: The London eye, Madam thussaud, Changing of the guards,
Shopping malls: Harrods & Hamleys
Belgium: The atomium, The Zoo in Antwerp, In Antwerp there are a lot of old shuls worth seeing,
I would avoid South Brussels though,,,,
France: Eifel Tower, gallery de Lafayette (shopping mall) The Pletzl is a place where the old Jewish community was. Very interesting.
Germany: Jewish ss is Worms where the Rashi shul is. Dachau Concentration camp
Austria: Mathausen You can take a tour.

These are what I can come up now.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:43 am
London: (try and go in early July when english schools are still closed so attractions won't be so busy) The science museum, british museum, Bethnal green toy museum, natural histroy museum (all free). Legoland, hampton court palace, tower bridge (theres a glass floor your kids might enjoy) the cable car across the thames. Tower of London.

I think your kids might be too young for concentration camps.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:43 am
Been to all countries listed.
Sights to see/avoid: really depends on your family’s interests. Would older girls be interested in museums? Are they interested in histories? Or would they prefer scenic outdoor activities?
England: British Museum, V&A Museum, Science Museum, Tower of London, Big Ben/Westminster, walking tour of London (there’re Jewish interest tours a few times a week), Greenwich, Globe theatre, Regent’s Park, take the river bus, includes some sights outside of London (Hampton Court Palace, Heaver castle, Bekonscot model village, Cotswald, Oxford or Cambridge, New Forest), avoid Madame Tussauds

Paris: Big 3 museums (Louvre, Orsay, Orangerie), Arc Triumphe (look from outside), Tour Eiffel, Versailles. Assume artificial beach of Paris Plage along Seine would be open by mid-July. If planning to go to southern France, Chagall museum in Nice, Eze (you’ll need a car for this), Antibes. Personally I think Strasbourg is quite attractive and under-rated.

Amsterdam: Spanish & Portuguese synagogue, Anne Frank house, Rijkesmuseum, cycling along canals, there are several working windmills (more options outside of Rotterdam).

Brussels: Musee des Beaux-Arts, (Rene Magrit collection), Grand Place, I love antique markets along Grand Sablon square on weekends. A good collection of Art Deco houses preserved very well. EU headquarters (though don’t think they’re open to public these days)

Germany: any specific places? It’s a rather big country. We really liked Bodensee (Lake Constance) that overlaps Germany/Austria/Switzerland.

Austria: Jewish museum in Vienna, Spanish riding school, Opera House, misc palace museums (including Maria Theresia’s apartments), Belvedere.

Switzerland: I’m more familiar with Geneve than Zurich. For Geneve, Lac Leman (boat rides across), Patek Philippe Museum, Chillon Castle near Montreux. Around Berner Oberland, Interlaken, Wengen, Grindelwald. Closer to Zurich, Rheinfall (we actually visited while staying in Bodensee). (I commented in several posts but we tend to stay in French Alps rather than Swiss Alps due to costs).

Mode of transportation: car service to/from airports. Eurostar between UK/France or Belgium, Thalyss between France/Belgium/Netherlands. You can very easily cover Germany/Austria/France/Switzerland with own rental car.

Just a note—over summer, Shabbat (and 17 Tammuz/9Av) starts and ends quite late. 17 Tammuz ends just before 10pm here. Most communities start Shabbat 8pm latest (some 7 or 7:30).

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:50 pm
OP here - thanks so much everyone!

Any other suggestions?

Do you think it's practical to go on trains with all of us and our luggage?

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
OP here - thanks so much everyone!

Any other suggestions?

Do you think it's practical to go on trains with all of us and our luggage?

Easier then flying. Maybe combine renting a car with taking trains. Its hard to some things without a car, especially outside the cities, but on the other hand in some cities having a car is a pain. Train rides can also be fun.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:46 pm
Train vs car vs air depends on routes. If it is London-Paris, London - Brussels, Brussels-Amsterdam or Paris-Brussels (or anywhere in Belgium for that matter, definitely trains. Main advantage being terminals are in center of the town and they are all perfect short distance. London - Amsterdam is a close call but I would most likely fly esp as Schipol is such an efficient airport. Swiss, we tend to drive because the routes are scenic and trains can be expensive.

If you decide to take trains, book tickets early. Within Europe there are many discount airlines like easyJet, Ryanair. You'll need to book in early, you pay additionally for luggage or advance seating, seats but isometimes it's worth checking.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 2:06 pm
Download the kosher lists and restaurants, and enjoy!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics