Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help! My raw eggs are frozen, can I thaw and use, or toss?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:40 am
I bought ten dozen eggs on sale recently, and put them into my Passover fridge, only to learn that the fridge was not working properly and everything in the fridge froze overnight. Should I toss the eggs, or are they salvageable, for example, can I defrost them and use to make scrambled eggs?

Volunteer

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:50 am
The whites will be okay once thawed, but the yolks may have congealed, and may not beat properly.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 8:27 am
They'll be fine. I have a dodgy fridge too, and once and a while my eggs freeze.

I don't know if they will work for cakes where you have to separate them and beat them, but otherwise they will work normally.

If you need eggs for fancy cakes, buy a dozen and keep them on the counter. It's safe to leave them out for just a week. You can lightly oil the shells if you're worried about bacteria getting in, but I don't think it's needed.

sourstix

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 8:44 am
frantic I am so suprpized your telling her to keep it out. read what it says on the box to keep refrigerated. its a high incidence for salmonella. and bacteria

please dont keep eggs outside. its not safe. read the cdc on eggs.
not sure how you do it frantic.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 8:54 am
sourstix wrote:
frantic I am so suprpized your telling her to keep it out. read what it says on the box to keep refrigerated. its a high incidence for salmonella. and bacteria

please dont keep eggs outside. its not safe. read the cdc on eggs.
not sure how you do it frantic.

She's a real Israeli already! Very Happy
It's quite the norm to keep the eggs on the counter for a week(or so), in the fridge for a month (or so).
In the US, the eggs are washed so the pores are open. In Israel and, I believe Europe, this is not so.they should be refrigerated there.

alef12

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 8:55 am
In Europe and Israel you can leave eggs on the counter for a week or two without a problem as they have not been washed, so the natural protective coating on the eggs is still intact. They will last longer if refrigerated but are safe to leave out.
In the U.S. eggs are washed so must be refrigerated. Unless, of course you have your own chickens or get then direct from a farmer who you know does not wash the eggs.

devash1

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:14 pm
In Israel there are two dates stamped on each egg, one is the date to be used by if left on the counter and the other if they're left in the fridge.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:26 pm
I would definitely salvage the eggs for scrambled eggs or in kugels ... however I would not use them for the delicate sponge cakes that might flop

or you might want to try out baking and let us know & then you can make an informed decision or crack a couple after they defrost and see what they look like

10 dozen sounds like a lot of eggs - but never for pesach - because each cake batter takes about 10 - 12 eggs

also adjust the temperature because an empty fridge will be colder than a full fridge
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen