Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
HELP!! What to send to camp for lunch

queenie

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 10:41 am
Ok, everyday my kids go to camp and everyday they bring home their lunches mostly uneaten and mushy. Sometimes they eat the fruit, always eat the dessert and the drink but the sandwich forget it. Their lunches are not refridgerated, you can't send peanut butter or meat and the kids are not big on cheese. So nu? What to send? Don't forget the mush factor. They want eat anything that gets soggy. (Would you?)

I was thinking pareve salami slices bc they love salami and I NEVER EVER buy the stuff. Help please!!! I have until tomorrow morning...... Help

queen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 10:46 am
How about sending salad inside a pita (shmear the inside of the pita with salad dressing)

salad in a disposable container (have kids bring home-bec that way you'll get to see if they are eating it or not!!!! but wont fret if it gets thrown out/or lost in camp)

send them with cut up veggies- that way you know even if they don't eat your sandwhich, they are getting some nutrition.

I like your idea of pareve salami..... I'm assuming that doesn't need refrigeration.

queenie

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 11:01 am
I don't know if sending a container is the best idea. I don't care about the container, I have not just cheap but free ones like old margarine containers that I use for outings and then throw away (in the recycling bin of course.) But, little 4 or 5 year olds don't really sit and eat out of a container for lunch. I might try an experiment like a sandwich and some pasta salad. I can send both and see what happens.

Thanks.

IndyMom

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 12:15 pm
camp stars at 11 and they eat by 12 so I send:
PB&J sandwhich ( you can get fake peanut butter, in case there aer kids allergic to the real thing)
small yogurt and spoon
bag of cut up peppers or cucumbers
breakfast bar (or granola bar)
apple juice box drink
usually another bag with a snack like pringles, fig newtons, etc.

stem

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 1:14 pm
My daughter eats like a bird, so a sandwhich and bag of cut up fruit is all I send for her. Even that usually doesn't get finished...

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 1:16 pm
if they don't mind eating it cold (which most kids don't):
noodles w/ ketchup or tomato sauce
pizza bagel

thebestmommy

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 2:45 pm
queenie wrote:
Their lunches are not refridgerated, you can't send peanut butter or meat and the kids are not big on cheese. So nu? What to send?

Here is what I do to keep the lunch cold till lunchtime:
I freeze the box drinks, so this way by lunchtime, the drink has defrosted, while keeping the sandwich cold.
Just an idea.

queenie

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 5:14 pm
Those are great ideas. I did the juice box frozen - it kept food fairly cold but I think it made the sandwich a bit mushy.

Pizza bagel sounds like a great idea!!

About fake peanut butter - are you talking about almond butter? if it is any kind of nut it's out - not allowed. I do cut up carrots and cucumber. At home I make a dip so it goes over well. Want to hear about a great dip that sounds gross but kids love? My kids are only allowed to eat it with veggies.

Ultra low fat mayo and marshmellow fluff mixed together with a grated pickle. I kid you not. Try it with carrots and cucs.

How do you keep cut up apples from turning brown and not tasting like a lemon?

queenie

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 5:16 pm
In Toronto Gryfes bagels are now kosher, (but not all branches) and they make these whole wheat, yoshon, pas yisroel, cholov yisroel mini pizzas. Now that's a mouthful before you even eat!!

Last edited by queenie on Mon, Jul 11 2005, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

IndyMom

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 5:23 pm
my nephew (current cutie of the week) indianamom4's son is allergic to all nuts, and she has some kind of fake peanut butter she gives him when the rest of the kids are eating real peanut butter. Perhaps its soy, I don't know. I'll ask her to post here.

shoy18

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 5:53 pm
maybe cut the sandwichs with cookie cutters I always loved in when I was a kid

also they make insulated lunch boxes so the food stays hot/cold.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 9:15 pm
There is such a thing as soy nut butter, safe for kids with peanut and/or tree nut allergies, pretty passable for pbj sandwiches for most kids' tastes. Also, for homemade trail mix in nut-free zones, you can buy soy nuts (just soybeans roasted like peanuts would be), mix them with whatever dried fruits/candies/etc you kids would go for. This is a good protein solution for sandwich-rejectors (like my daughter used to be). Also, we have sent in little disposable containers of hummus with some carrots or crackers to dip in.

RedVines

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 10:31 pm
To keep the sandwiches fresh, prepare them the night before and freeze them take them out in the morning, then by lunch the sandwiches are defrosted.

lucky

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 10:34 pm
There is a new thing called pea butter. its made of peas but tastes like peanut butter.

chavamom

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 10:35 pm
One of my kids who hates sandwiches has been taking tortillas with different things in them. He is older, but likes melted cheese with salsa/jalapeno peppers (this is my finicky child who will eat anything spicy. go figure).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics