Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I thought Camp Mogen Avraham was a frum camp?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:13 pm
My nephew is in Camp Mogen Avraham. Yesterday was visiting day for the camp. Imagine my shock when I saw how some of the parents were dressed.

Some of them were dressed fine. However, there were some where the mothers didn't cover their hair, some women wore short sleeves, some men wore shorts, some women were even in pants or very short sleeves.

What gives? I thought the camp was frum and only accepted frum people?

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:16 pm
hey my kid goes to camp sternberg ... its sister camp ... and you know what ... I do not cover my hair ... I do not wear socks ... I wear short sleeves ... and yes it is a frum camp - as am I a frum woman!!!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:19 pm
and I though g-d didnt make stupid people

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:22 pm
some frum camps accept the non frum
some frum people do not follow the tznius guidelines, some don't even look decent (you should see some of them in my shul), but they are still shomer shabbes, kashrus, th...

Some Mo rabbis allow pants and short sleeves, some Sefardi rabbanim allow large pants, some rabbis allow(ed) not covering your hair. Hoping I won't have to re post the sources again...

chavamom

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:37 pm
I work for Sternberg and one of my sons goes to Mogen Av. Sternberg is not a Bais Ya'akov camp. There are rules of dress, but they accept kids across the spectrum, from Chasidish, Litvish and including even some kids from public school. The tone is very much "frum" when you are in camp, but the families they come from are far from homogeneous. Mogen Av is pretty much the same.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:49 pm
Just wanting to say that some very frum families send to public school, so it is not a criterion imho. Not everyone can afford, not everyone find a place, not everyone has a Jewish school even at 1 hr drive, and in "my" times few Jewish schools had a good level in chol. Now BH it is totally different.

You have non shomer mitzvos who send to frum school (since you don't have laic Jewish schools here), and in my public school in Paris I had Chabad and Litvish friends.

chen

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:50 pm
mogen Av does not make applicants sign any affidavits as to their level of observance. While there the boys have to follow camp rules, but the camp does not impose its standards on the parents.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
My nephew is in Camp Mogen Avraham. Yesterday was visiting day for the camp. Imagine my shock when I saw how some of the parents were dressed.

Some of them were dressed fine. However, there were some where the mothers didn't cover their hair, some women wore short sleeves, some men wore shorts, some women were even in pants or very short sleeves.

What gives? I thought the camp was frum and only accepted frum people?

Wow. . . I sure hope you made him come home with you! Imagine what could have happened to him if he continued to associate with frum children that have parents that aren't exactly like you.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 4:13 pm
I love this thread! Can't we all just get along?

Mevater

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 4:19 pm
My son went there. The Rebbaim and other staff are the best. PS, he's a long term learner now. Don't lose an iota of sleep!

myfriends715

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 4:33 pm
I went to sternberg for 9 yrs and all I can say was that the diversity is what made the experience so amazing ams special. besides the fact that though e/o comes from diff. backrounds they are all able to get along and be friends, a lot of ppl who started out more modern decided to take more upon themselves b/c of their camp experience... I'm sorry that the OP is so closed minded that the mere thought of her nephew going to camp with boys of mothers who don't cover their hair elisits the same responce as if he was going to a camp with non jews.. nebach

technic

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 4:40 pm
here's my 2 cents...

im no religious fanatic, and there are plenty of imamothers much frummer than me - but I kinda get what the OP means (I think) - im hoping shes not standing in judgement on pple at a different level of frumkeit 2 her, but had simply been led 2 believe that the camp itself was at a certain level and accepted campers accordingly...am I right???

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 5:27 pm
technic wrote:
here's my 2 cents...

im no religious fanatic, and there are plenty of imamothers much frummer than me - but I kinda get what the OP means (I think) - im hoping shes not standing in judgement on pple at a different level of frumkeit 2 her, but had simply been led 2 believe that the camp itself was at a certain level and accepted campers accordingly...am I right???
My guess is that the OP grew up in BP, or similar, and has a severe case of "BP-tunnelvisionitis" syndrome which is very catchy in that neck of the woods. I know, I live here, I'm guilty of having the bug myself sometimes.

Nicole

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 5:29 pm
I don't know about Magen av, but I also was in Sternberg for 8 - 9 years and their whole thing IS that they accept diverse groups of ppl. First of all, they have a whole program, "alot" for irriligious girls, so that would explain some of the parents, and it's a federation camp - technically I think even non Jews can go!
Usually, I believe that the diversity is usually a good thing- everyone gets influenced for the good and it's a fantastic camp. But hey- if you don't like it, there are plenty more frum camps to send to.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 5:33 pm
there are plenty of frum women who don't cover their hair & wear short sleves & men who wear shorts... I wouldn't hesitate one minute to eat in their homes (provided I know them ....of course) There are plenty of people who dress the "right way" whose homesI wouldn't eat in.

One thing I can guarantee:you must be very careful when you say the things you did. Those comments are definitly not frum.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 6:24 pm
I work for AViChai. Avichai pays for public school children to go to that camp

and offers $5000 dollers if your child switches to Yeshiva.

The camp provides seperate tutors for the public school children.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:16 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Wow. . . I sure hope you made him come home with you! Imagine what could have happened to him if he continued to associate with frum children that have parents that aren't exactly like you.

And the sarcasm serves what purpose?

The OP was expressing her surprise because she anticipated a certain situation and that's not what she found. The same thing could happen to you.

amother wrote:
there are plenty of frum women who don't cover their hair & wear short sleves

should we define frum?

Quote:
There are plenty of people who dress the "right way" whose homesI wouldn't eat in.

So?
and let's be clear about it - the "right way" is halacha

Quote:
One thing I can guarantee:you must be very careful when you say the things you did. Those comments are definitly not frum.

What's "not frum" about expressing surprise when seeing women dressed not according to halacha (men and shorts is another story) when visiting a frum camp?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:18 am
Yes - "Motek knows best"

shoshb

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:34 am
Quote:
What's "not frum" about expressing surprise when seeing women dressed not according to halacha (men and shorts is another story) when visiting a frum camp?

For one thing, it's Lashon Hara. Or is it Motzi Shem Ra? I confuse the two. She could have easily made the same point by saying,
Quote:
My nephew is in a camp that I thought was very frum. Yesterday was visiting day for the camp. Imagine my shock when I saw how some of the parents were dressed. If you are thinking of sending your son to a camp in Upstate New York, and parents' dress standards are of concern to you, please pm me so I can tell you which camp it was

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:37 am
shoshb wrote:
Quote:

For one thing, it's Lashon Hara. Or is it Motzi Shem Ra? I confuse the two. She could have easily made the same point by saying,
Quote:
My nephew is in a camp that I thought was very frum. Yesterday was visiting day for the camp. Imagine my shock when I saw how some of the parents were dressed. If you are thinking of sending your son to a camp in Upstate New York, and parents' dress standards are of concern to you, please pm me so I can tell you which camp it was

same garbage ... still rude and wrong!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics