Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Stuffed Torah
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:13 am
What say you about giving your baby a stuffed torah instead of a stuffed animal?
I'd never thought about it before, but was thinking about it last night when I saw someone who had a stuffed torah.
A stuffed torah will get lots of love, can comfort a baby/kid, etc...
Meaning, stuffed animals get love and comfort the kid if crying if thats what they learn to associate it with...
So why not a torah?
So that way your kid learns Torah is a thing to love, a great source of comfort, etc...

What do you think?
Any reasons why NOT to use a stuffed torah instead of a stuffed animal?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:15 am
In Lub we only use images for our kids of kosher, permitd things, so a stuffed Torah is a very big deal to us.

BennysMommy

My son has a stuffed torah and stuffed animals. They're all sitting on a shelf in his room doing their job...of collecting dust.

Sharon8310

I think that is a great idea. I never thought about it that way before. A child should learn to get comforat for the torah Very Happy. Thanks for a great idea!

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:18 am
We have tons of stuffed torahs. My boys ages 3 and 4 sometimes call them their "brothers". They love them

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:25 am
we have a stuffed torah somewhere from one of my kids ... like the animals too ... it depends on what they're in the mood of ...

bennysmommy - get them off the shelves and play a little Wink

RedVines

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:27 am
We have torahs all over, every simchas torah each kid gets another one from the chabad house! we use them for tefilah each morning. my youngest has one in her crib and she squeezes it hard!!!My oldest held his every where when he was little.

I am all for torahs from the begining!!! I like kosher animals as well,

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:58 am
chocolate moose wrote:
In Lub we only use images for our kids of kosher, permitd things, so a stuffed Torah is a very big deal to us.

There are kosher stuffed animals.
Never seen a stuffed duck, cow, sheep? I have...

Last edited by Seraph on Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Sharon8310

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:05 am
seen stuff sheep. I have a ton of them. You can sometimes find cow and duck.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:09 am
breslov wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

There are kosher stuffed animals?

Sure there are! Moose too!

stem

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:14 am
We happen to have at least 2 stuffed ducks, also many other non-kosher stuffed animals, and 2 torahs. We got the Torahs as gifts, and the truth is, it bothers me a little to see the little kids playing so rough with them, like throwing them on the floor and in the air, chewing on it, sitting on it, is not exactly how I want them to think of the way a real Torah should be treated, or the kind of respect and awe we should have for it. Confused

I always wondered about people who don't allow non-kosher images in their home, but name their kids, dov ber, aryeh, zev, and other names that conjure the imagery of non-kosher animals. Anyone ever think of that?

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:16 am
Torahs are great, we have lots of them.
But the ones with features (eyes, nose, mouth) make me nervous, and I've seen that my kids, from a very young age, relate to the animals/dolls on account of those features. It's interesting and stimulating, and there are lots of options for kosher ones...I'm looking right now at a Daffy Duck, 2 giraffes, an extra large yellow chicken, a little beanie baby calf...there are more somewhere...
There's also a newish line of stuffed wind-up Mitzvah toys: Torah, siddur, tzeddakah (with a penny that can be stuffed in the hole LOL ) and an adorable mobile with all of them in miniature.

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:28 am
stem wrote:
We happen to have at least 2 stuffed ducks, also many other non-kosher stuffed animals, and 2 torahs. We got the Torahs as gifts, and the truth is, it bothers me a little to see the little kids playing so rough with them, like throwing them on the floor and in the air, chewing on it, sitting on it, is not exactly how I want them to think of the way a real Torah should be treated, or the kind of respect and awe we should have for it. Confused

I always wondered about people who don't allow non-kosher images in their home, but name their kids, dov ber, aryeh, zev, and other names that conjure the imagery of non-kosher animals. Anyone ever think of that?

First, I think there is enough to diffrentiate between a stuffed Torah and a real one that a slightly older child can understand the difference. (there are even the real looking ones, with printed "parchment" and a mantel, if you want to provide that chinuch at home).

With regard to names associated with animals...Yaakov Avinu compared the shvatim to (non-kosher) animals and there are positive qualities to learn from all of them. The idea of young children not viewing images of non-kosher animals is to protect their sensitivities and enable them to remain pure by surrounding them with only holy things.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:33 am
hey I have a stuffed cow - her name is "betsy" MOO ... ducks, giraffes, we have those too ... not to mention the unmentionables ... where does a stuffed "barney" fit in ...

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:36 am
chocolate moose wrote:
breslov wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

There are kosher stuffed animals?

Sure there are! Moose too!

Wasn't meant to be a question. Accidentally put the ? instead of a .
I was saying that not having non kosher animals doesnt mean that the only stuffed thing possible is a torah.
I know theres kosher stuffed animals.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 12:56 pm
In Crown Heights you can find many such kosher stuffed animals for gifts, and if you think about it as you shop, you will see there are a lot.

As far as other animals and images, the idea is to surround your child (and some, the entire family) with images that are permitted and Kedusha. It does not mean you cannot go to the zoo for chinuch, for example. You just wouldn’t have zoo animals on your wall, that’s all, that hyou would gaze at often.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 12:59 pm
I think it's all or nothing ... and since that is impossible ...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 2:38 pm
Dd has a stuffed Torah that we bought in Jerusalem and unfortunately forgot at my grandparents Sad
She has stuffed animals, kosher and unkosher. I never heard of the Lubavich custom before Imamother I think. Most of her stuffed animals were mine Very Happy

GAMZu

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 4:29 pm
You could give a Torah. And we have a couple. But you can't decide what your child will get attached to.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 4:45 pm
we also have bought a stuffed lulav, will be given on right time LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics