Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Grocery store pet peeve
1  2  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:32 pm
Yes I am aware that this is a first world problem..
Does it annoy anyone else when the checkout clerk comments on your grocery items (like how expensive it is, how his nephew likes cashews too)?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:35 pm
this rarely happens to me. the only time I was annoyed at it was when I was purchasing a box of H-O oatmeal, and the cashier was a teenage guy. his comment was, "ho! it says ho!" he thought this was hysterically funny. he didn't comment on anything else. tasteless comments are not welcome. if the cashier wants to marvel at my menu planning ability, no problem.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:40 pm
I don't think anyone should be commenting on anyone else's groceries, period.

I live in an apartment building, and I have often had neighbors comment on how many grocery bags I am carrying in, like "Wow, you guys must be hungry!" or "Oh, you must be having lots of guests this Shabbos". Why would anyone think that's an appropriate thing to do? So rude.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 1:49 pm
I don't really care what grocery cashiers have to say about my groceries, I just care if they treat me with polite respect. There's one store I shop in where the cashier seems to perpetually be having a bad day. She is really rude and treats people condescendingly. It's really annoying to treated as an annoyance.

I used to avoid her line at all costs, though I recently decided to just pity her and suck it up. Maybe if I just look away, Hashem will have more mercy on me. Everyone needs a job, right?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I used to avoid her line at all costs, though I recently decided to just pity her and suck it up. Maybe if I just look away, Hashem will have more mercy on me. Everyone needs a job, right?

I love your attitude, that is so inspiring!

Here in Israel, everyone seems to wear their emotions on their sleeves. Some people really push me to be extra nice, KWIM? I'll keep this in mind next time someone yells at me.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:30 pm
Doesn't bother me but I am in Los Angeles where expel tend to be friendly.

I often have conversations with the checkout people when they are scanning. They will ask me if something is good or when a fruit like cherries goes on sale, we will both rejoice at the price.

My last shopping trip to Trader Joes I bought a huge amount of cherry juice and the clerk commented. I just smiled back and agreed because it was an incongruous purchase.

I don't spend a lot of energy getting irritated at people who mean no harm especially if they are working at a somewhat dull job like cashier. If someone were to comment on something intimate, that would be a different story or if they were derogatory about my choices, but casual conversation doesn't bother me.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:48 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't really care what grocery cashiers have to say about my groceries, I just care if they treat me with polite respect. There's one store I shop in where the cashier seems to perpetually be having a bad day. She is really rude and treats people condescendingly. It's really annoying to treated as an annoyance.

My local kosher store has a cashier who sounds exactly like yours. She just scowls and doesn't talk at all. I wonder if it's the same one, though mine is not in Lakewood. I get so annoyed every time I have to be in her line, but I just smile and try to act normal.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:02 pm
Trader Joes has been experimenting with having cashiers start up conversations with customers in line. I kind of miss that, it was really fun!

Cashier: How ya doin' today?
Me: Pretty good. How about you?
Cashier: EXCELLENT, DUDE! (I'm thinking he's pretty stoned right now, LOL)
Me: Glad to hear it.
Cashier: What's the best book you've read lately?

5 minute conversation ensues.

Sure, the line didn't move as fast, but that wasn't the point. The point was to stop rushing for a few minutes, and connect with a fellow human being, and maybe even learn something new. It probably annoyed the heck out of a lot of people, but as a social experiment I rather enjoyed it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:09 pm
Funny that you mention Trader Joe's. I also am thinking to myself that they act a bit stoned sometimes. At least they're happy.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:12 pm
Ha. I recently had one TJ cashier go on and on for about 2 minutes about how there are hundreds of different varieties of mangoes Smile

Fox

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:22 pm
Are you kidding!? I love shopping at places where people interact and there's a sense of community. Oh, sure, some people are more interesting than others, but I look forward to having Forrest chase me down when he has fresh cod; having Pauline gripe along with me about how much teenage boys eat while she scans my groceries; or having Wanda (who is actually married to Forrest) yell out in the middle of Sam's Club, "Girl, you need to get your stuff and get home quick. Candle lighting is in an hour!"

Who needs more bland, anonymous encounters?

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:29 pm
I would just consider this being friendly, so of course I don't mind.

One time a cashier commented that so many people were buying pickles. They wanted to know if it was for an upcoming holiday. I told them they were just on sale for a great price. Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
Funny that you mention Trader Joe's. I also am thinking to myself that they act a bit stoned sometimes. At least they're happy.

In the state I was living in pot was quite legal (WA), and as long as it doesn't violate any health and safety standards, it's all good. Happy hippies are always fun to chat with. Very Happy

Considering how tense and crabby some Israelis can be (both Jewish and Arab), I think they should legalize it here, too. Some people REALLY need to loosen up. ChillPill Who knows, it might be the key to peace in the Middle East!

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:52 pm
Fox wrote:
Are you kidding!? I love shopping at places where people interact and there's a sense of community. Oh, sure, some people are more interesting than others, but I look forward to having Forrest chase me down when he has fresh cod; having Pauline gripe along with me about how much teenage boys eat while she scans my groceries; or having Wanda (who is actually married to Forrest) yell out in the middle of Sam's Club, "Girl, you need to get your stuff and get home quick. Candle lighting is in an hour!"

Who needs more bland, anonymous encounters?

What SAMs club do you go to where Wanda knows that candle lighting is in an hour. In any case your post cracked me up. 😊

sky

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:05 pm
I have one cashier that I love in the store I shop in.
She won't comment on what I'm buying but if she thinks something isn't fresh or expired or going bad or not sealed well she will point it out to me, and offer to watch my kids while I run and exchange it.
She even once called me after I left that I bought something that was buy 1 get 1 free and I only took one. She said she took one and is holding it for me for when I come.

Its so worth it to have a good relationship with a cashier. Really my DH started it because he is so friendly and nice and goes the same time of the day regularlly so the same people are there, but it caught on to the rest of the family.

There is another cashier who always gives my kids lollypops and stickers. I'm sure he means well but In some way it makes me nervous. I've explained to them that even though he is so nice and recognizable, someone like him is still a stranger.

abaker

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:07 pm
I don't mind the friendly chit chat so much. But last week I had an overflowing cart of groceries I was trying to bag and the cashier looks at my screaming baby and was like " I think your baby is hungry" lol like what?!?! But I just smiled and said "I think so too." It was a weird comment but no reason to get offended by it..I figured she was just trying to be helpful

Raisin

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:12 pm
I shop in a supermarket with a kosher section. There are not a ton of Jewish people where I live so people are not that familiar with the concept of kosher. There is one checkout lady who (when the kosher section was still newish) used to make comments like: my, that kosher chicken is so expensive! and so on.

But she is actually a very sweet lady, if a bit simple - we are good friends by now. When a friend of mine was sick with cancer she would only go to that woman because she would make sure there would be people helping bag her stuff and carry it to the car. (I also get offered similar help when pregnant or shopping with kids)

I often get comments like: Oh, you must be making a party. Well, yes I do. Every shabbos!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:23 pm
The comedian Steven Wright had a routine about grocery shopping. He said he liked to ask the cashier if he had bought the right amount of toilet paper for the amount of food he was getting.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:28 pm
Comments by grocery cashiers are not a big deal. Drug stores on the other hand... I bought a pregnancy test at CVS and the cashier smiled and said congratulations. I actually complained to management because I thought that was inappropriate.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
Comments by grocery cashiers are not a big deal. Drug stores on the other hand... I bought a pregnancy test at CVS and the cashier smiled and said congratulations. I actually complained to management because I thought that was inappropriate.

Oh my gosh, that is SO wrong. Mad Drug store people should not speak until spoken to, and stick to the subject. "Where are the bandaids?" "Aisle 5, on the left." "Thank you." End of convo.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics