Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Tri state area- off the beaten path ideas?

benny

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:26 am
Anyone have ideas for fun day trips around the tri state area- other than the well known places? Kids 13 and under.

sky

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:44 am
Fort Delaware - Great park near the water with old war buildings to explore.
There is a ferry that takes you to a fort on an island. People are dressed up in old time costumes - kids can try washing clothing, watch a blacksmith, see the guns cleaned, etc. The island itself is really gorgeous.

Cape May Zoo. Free fantastic zoo. Great park and picnic are. (not so off the beaten path)

Atlantic City recycling plant - sounds crazy but if your kids like this stuff they give you a tour of recycling plant (watch it in action), land fill (its cool because it is near an airport so lots of rules regarding birds), how the burn off methane, etc. There is also a small playground and hike there. Need to make an appt in advance. I think there is also a light house somewhere nearby.

Trenton Planetarium and tour of the state house. Not an amazing planetarium but was entertaining and inexpensive. Small museum attached with 9-11 exhibit. Next door is nJ state house. they are happy to give tours.

Washington Crossing Park

I'll try to think of others, we love day tripping, and will definitely follow for ideas.

Last edited by sky on Fri, May 13 2016, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:48 am
I really want to visit Fire Island

sky

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:55 am
Are you looking for really nice parks\playgrounds, hikes, museums, shows, zoos, farms, picking,...?

Rutabaga

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 12:01 pm
http://mommypoppins.com

benny

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 12:17 pm
Thanks!! Love those ideas! Looking for all the above. Prob not museums since I think we've been to all.

sky

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 12:27 pm
Diggerland - not that great for 7 and under. Depends a lot on height.

Sheffield Island in CT. ferry to an island with a lighthouse. tour of the lighthouse and paths to walk. There is an aquarium next door (both may be expensive to do in one day). If you live in NY this shouldn't be too far away. it wasn't a full day trip but a great experience (we did it a few years ago but can't imagine it changed too much).

Story book land in Egg Harbor (13 may be just too old, not sure)

State fairs.

benny

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:14 pm
sky wrote:
Diggerland - not that great for 7 and under. Depends a lot on height.

Sheffield Island in CT. ferry to an island with a lighthouse. tour of the lighthouse and paths to walk. There is an aquarium next door (both may be expensive to do in one day). If you live in NY this shouldn't be too far away. it wasn't a full day trip but a great experience (we did it a few years ago but can't imagine it changed too much).

Story book land in Egg Harbor (13 may be just too old, not sure)

State fairs.

Can you elaborate on state fairs? Never been to one.

sky

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:21 pm
benny wrote:
Can you elaborate on state fairs? Never been to one.

We enjoy them and go to about 1 - 2 a summer.
there are state fairs, county fairs, and lots of fairs between.

They are all very different and are also priced differently.

Normally have some assortment or combination of the following:
Animal shows - pig racing, dog swim races, sheep corralling, jousting on horses, petting zoo, animal shows (like snakes or something), 4H competition winners (like larges cow, pretty dogs or horses), etc.
Vendors (we normally skip this)
Exhibitors from local agencies - give out lots of freebies if interested in checking out
Emergency vehicles to look at - fire trucks, police cars, motorcycles.
Contest Winners - 4H winners, like largest zucchini, pumpkin, etc.
Rides - typical fair rides
Kid Shows - balloons, clowns, magicians, Big Car demolitions.

benny

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:27 pm
What are they like? I was seriously considering going to the warren county fair bec they're having a hot air balloon festival which we thought was totally cool. I was a drop concerned from doing research and looking at pics from past years, that it's the kind of thing that mostly the people from the town come, we would not belong in a big way, and wasn't sure how comfortable we were with that.

sky

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:52 pm
I don't think they are exclusive to the community or its like one big family where everyone knows each. We have gone to some as far away as Allentown, PA and no one asked where we are from.

I always wanted to go to one with a hot air balloon show - it does sound very cool.

They are very much centered around food also, but we just skip that.

Not sure if you care about dress, but the dress code is typical summer not so dressed. a lot of the other ideas I mentioned you don't have that problem as much because its much smaller crowds.

nicole81

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 2:57 pm
New Hope, PA/ Lambertville, NJ

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
I really want to visit Fire Island

It's fun but would be a shlepp with kids since you have to take a ferry there and can only walk around the island.

mfb

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 3:39 pm
nicole81 wrote:
New Hope, PA/ Lambertville, NJ

What are things to do there?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics