Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Amtrak

taffy

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:54 pm
I need some quiet time for myself and I love nature, scenery. I think it's a good idea to take a trip on the Amtrak. I'll make it a round trip while the kids are in day camp. Thing is, I have never traveled Amtrak and have no clue if what I'm looking for exists....
Anyone have a clue?
I'll be leaving from NY Penn Station

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:05 am
you can take the long island railrod instead, to a far out place in long island, a 3 hour trip, and hten back. or take the 3 hour circle line around manhattan and relax.

taffy

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:08 am
The route on the LIRR has nice scenery? If yes I will consider it. Also, I thought Amtrak has more comfy seats....

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 12:57 am
The Long Island railroad is not the scenery I think you are looking for but its out of the city. Being I have never taken amtrack ( but always wish I could) I can't compare but I don't know if you would get what you want in a one day round trip.
You could take the long Island railroad to Long Beach, walk to the board walk ( a few minute walk) and walk or sit and watch the water and then return home. Trains run about every hour.Travel info is 718 217 LIRR.

taffy

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:06 am
Thank you, amother above.

What I really want is a scenic trip. To sit at the window and just enjoy the scenery. I'll wait to see if anyone has info on Amtrak scenic routes.

hila

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 1:54 am
I once took teh train from NY to Buffalo. It was scenic, but it is a 10 hour ride.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 9:00 am
Amtrak is pleasant but not cheap.

taffy

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 9:42 am
I'm not looking for cheap, CM.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 08 2007, 10:56 am
Then I guess you're all set, then!

taffy

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 9:12 am
Not exactly all set until I have an itinerary. Still don't know which route is nice and scenic.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 9:24 am
hey - a greyhound would be a more effective and still comfortable (if not more) than a train - if you only have one day ... just take it north ... toward the mountains ... scenic - and you might get a stop or 2 where you could walk around - even to a location where you could have a nice country scene for an hour or so before you go back ...Mr. Green

my personal experience on Amtrak is that trains chug side to side as well as back and forth - Puke so if you get car sick a bus has more stability ...

are you fantasizing a movie scene or something ... sounds FUN ... 8)

taffy

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 10:01 pm
Thank you for the heads up about the train's chugging side to side, Green. I like your idea of Greyhound. Yeah, I'm fantasizing lots of grass and mountains and bright blue skies and green green green. Trees and grass. And maybe I'll catch a glimpse of you, Greenfire...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics