Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Flashback by Riva Pomerantz
1  2  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:40 am
What are your thoughts?
I personally really didn't enjoy it. Very disappointing.
The writing was very shallow and childish (gonna, wanna, shoulda, yippy, yucky, k. etc) almost insulting to the adult reader.
The story line was SO predictable. Every character made all the 'right stigmas' come to life...
Every single story of hers has two main thymes running through it :
Therapy - someone must be in therapy
Motherhood - the mother always feels like she's ruining her kids life etc etc
My friend who didn't even read the story, right away guessed those were the main thymes in the story.
All in all I thought it was pretty terrible.
Definitely doesn't compare or even come close to the previous story by Leah Gebber.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:10 am
IIRC, the author's husband is a therapist.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:11 am
chavamom wrote:
IIRC, the author's husband is a therapist.
I know. It's pretty clear that these two thymes are the focus or Riva's life

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:15 am
I enjoyed it.
I'm an avid reader, a writer and an editor, and I still enjoyed it. Wasn't most of the childish lingo used as part of actual dialogue, or someone thought process? Either way it didn't bother me.
I'm happy it wasn't about kollel. I'm happy that nosybody mrs. Weiss (avigayil's teacher) got a well deserved scolding, although I wish her husband would have been made aware of her mistake.
Its interesting though that Sheva is looked at as a heroine for working to support her kollel husband, while Michal was viewed as a monster for leaving her kids for work. Any thoughts on that?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:18 am
Also, wasn't the one by Leah Gebber a historical fiction piece? That's more similar to the new Zakon serial (which I am thoroughly enjoying so far).
The Riva Pomerantz serials are perfect for light reading. I personally don't read secular novels or magazines anymore, but this light, girly serial is a substitute for that, at least for me.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
Also, wasn't the one by Leah Gebber a historical fiction piece? That's more similar to the new Zakon serial (which I am thoroughly enjoying so far).
The Riva Pomerantz serials are perfect for light reading. I personally don't read secular novels or magazines anymore, but this light, girly serial is a substitute for that, at least for me.
It was an historical fiction piece. Brilliant writing!! Don't you feel that Pomerantz's stories are more suitable for younger readers? Also as I said they are very predictable. Glad you enjoyed it though

Stars

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:27 am
I loved the serial. Found it very down to earth.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:31 am
Every week I waited for the big question in my mind: how are they paying all the bills with an assistant party planner's salary?????

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
It was an historical fiction piece. Brilliant writing!! Don't you feel that Pomerantz's stories are more suitable for younger readers? Also as I said they are very predictable. Glad you enjoyed it though

That's what I'm saying- the Pomerantz serials aren't there to replace the historical pieces. That historical piece was fascinating. It had me glued to the page. But it was not a light read. People died. It's based on a true period in history, one in which our people suffered tremendously. It wasn't exactly drink-my-coffee-and-read material.
The Pomerantz serials may be for younger readers (I can't imagine anyone over 35 enjoying them as much), but they fill a need.

cnc

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:32 am
I enjoy Riva's writing very much.
They are light reading and are perfect for when I just need some down time without too much concentration.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
That's what I'm saying- the Pomerantz serials aren't there to replace the historical pieces. That historical piece was fascinating. It had me glued to the page. But it was not a light read. People died. It's based on a true period in history, one in which our people suffered tremendously. It wasn't exactly drink-my-coffee-and-read material.
The Pomerantz serials may be for younger readers (I can't imagine anyone over 35 enjoying them as much), but they fill a need.
my niece's reading group (15 yr Olds) are now discussing her story. You're right that an historical piece is not what you're always up to reading but I'm not talking about the actual historical story, more about the writing. Y'know what I'm saying? I agree that I can't imagine anyone over 35 enjoying it. I guess everyone has their own taste in reading material, just like food..

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
my niece's reading group (15 yr Olds) are now discussing her story. You're right that an historical piece is not what you're always up to reading but I'm not talking about the actual historical story, more about the writing. Y'know what I'm saying? I agree that I can't imagine anyone over 35 enjoying it. I guess everyone has their own taste in reading material, just like food..

When I was 15, we discussed books by Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare etc. Does that mean they're not geared for an older audience as well? No way.
The sign of a good book is one that appeals to many audiences.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:40 am
I think she asked some interesting questions about our relationship with work, gender roles, the idea of a shabbos abba. I could relate to a lot of the social issues that were discussed through out the story.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:10 am
OP, it seems like you've forgotten that behind this story, there's a very human woman with very real feelings behind it.
The tone of your post displays a harshness and negativity that seems particularly out of place during Sefira. Please remember that when sharing an opinion, it's possible to phrase your thoughts in a gentle way.
I am not Riva, but I am a (published) writer. I participate in writing groups where feedback and critique must always be specific and honest, but there are ways to evaluate and critique and stimulate discussion while maintaining sensitivity towards the writer. Won't you please consider this in the future?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:32 pm
I enjoyed it a lot. I thought she really captured her characters' emotions and presented them so well. The story was very true to life.

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 16 2016, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

pointyshoes

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:41 pm
It seems that Riva tries to bring up themes that play out in 'regular joes' (or regular chanis) lives.
I think its there to raise contemporary issues that most of us can relate to. Other serials are there for us to enjoy masterful literature (gebber serial for example)
2 completely different needs- I dont think they can be compared.
And btw I always enjoy Riva Pomerantz

I also hated how Sheva was the heroine with it all together because her husband was in kollel. I found that unrealistic that that was portrayed at a sensible and wise choice when for most couples its not practical and therefore not sensible or wise. Maybe I should spinoff

boysrus

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
What are your thoughts?
I personally really didn't enjoy it. Very disappointing.
The writing was very shallow and childish (gonna, wanna, shoulda, yippy, yucky, k. etc) almost insulting to the adult reader.
The story line was SO predictable. Every character made all the 'right stigmas' come to life...
Every single story of hers has two main thymes running through it :
Therapy - someone must be in therapy
Motherhood - the mother always feels like she's ruining her kids life etc etc
My friend who didn't even read the story, right away guessed those were the main thymes in the story.
All in all I thought it was pretty terrible.
Definitely doesn't compare or even come close to the previous story by Leah Gebber.

I enjoyed it.
I do wish though that you could put your thoughts down in a nicer way. I feel bad for the author to read such nasty comments Sad

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:48 pm
I agree with the OP that the writing style and storyline did not capture me, though there were other writings by Riva that I enjoyed more (Didn't she write Greener Fences, and also one, can't remember the title, about a very abusive husband. I remember enjoying those.). I read it just because it was there, maybe a chapter here and there caught my attention a bit, but I also found the ending very superficial, happily-ever-after'ish.

I just chalk it up to my own personal tastes, and there may be others that enjoy this type of writing.

I loved Leah Gebbar's piece. I didn't get Mishpacha for the beginning of it, and wish I could go back and read it in it's entirety.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:52 pm
I enjoyed it. Although I did feel like it left with a huge question--both Ashi and Michal turned down great job offers....what WILL they be doing to support their family?? Very curious!!

I also wished that the meeting with Ashi and his father in law had been described. It would've been nice to read Ashi's FIL tell him how he appreciates what a good husband he is to Michal, and he's sorry for having misjudged him and not made more of an effort to get to know him.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:57 pm
I agree that the writing made it seem childish. The dialogue read like a parody to me.

That being said, I think the issues that were raised are not these major issues that face people, but rather something that faces all families to one extent or another and that doesn't get explored so much in public forums because it's so charged. Showing how one couple navigated these complexities was a great way to add to the conversation.

The one thing that made me laugh about OP is that I specifically felt like she was winking at the audience here by NOT making therapy a major theme. I am a therapist so I was sensitive to this-- how the teacher jumped to therapy when there wasn't an issue, how Ashi, even though he had a traumatic childhood, resolved things on his own, and same with their marital tensions. Therapists were not prominent here, and they certainly weren't the heroes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room