Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lakewood - basement apt rental to family with 5 kids?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:49 pm
Hello, we are relocating to Lakewood and prefer to rent a very cheap three bedroom apartment so that we can save up money for a house in Lakewood. I am looking for a cheap basement apartment but many landlords will not rent it to us since we have 5 kids (including a 2 month old infant). Why are they strict about it? We currently live in a three bedroom house and feel we would be okay in a smaller apartment for at least a year. Is it unrealistic for us to consider a basement apartment for a family our size? Thanks for helping me understand this better!

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:52 pm
Many landlords would be concerned about the wear and tear that could potentially occur with a family that size. If the landlord is living upstairs, they likely don't want the noise level either. Additionally, they may figure a young couple moving in would likely rent for a longer period of time than a bigger family, and they may be looking for a long-term lease arrangement.

kollel wife

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:53 pm
It's going to be rare to find a basement with three bedrooms. I guess apartment owners, although they realize there are kids, find there's a lot of wear and tear, especially with older kids and how long could you stay - they assume you'll outgrow it soon. Did you try Coventry?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:01 pm
I have a family member who lives in Coventry and know how small it is. We prefer not renting in that area. Thanks so much for your feedback. Hopefully we'll find something cheap to live in for one year!

cnc

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:08 pm
Stanford Meadows apartments have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and I know there are quite a few available.

I would also prefer renting to a couple vs. a family of 7 as previous poster mentioned due to the exponential increase in wear and tear of the apartment.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:15 pm
I see a lot of apartments advertised on Masa U'Matan for Stamford Meadows, however, I heard it is chasiddish only so I've not been calling people on that list. We are Litvish. Are there any Litvish people in that area? What's the age range in that neighborhood? Thanks so much.

SRS

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:22 pm
I think you are unrealistic. I'm no expert on Lakewood, but where I live, an apartment owner can only rent to a certain number or people. There are county regulations and then apartment convents. Two people per bedroom is standard. Afterborn children aren't regulated, but currently living children are. So a landlord could rent a 2 bedroom to a family of 4, but might not be able to rent to a family of 5.

mommyla

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:31 pm
I heard that there are some 4-bedroom basements in the new development on Cedar Bridge and New Hampshire.

rikki 1

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:32 pm
I live in Lakeview which are all three bedrooms (with a non rentable basement for storage, washing machine), you may be able to find there. also I know plenty of people who used my neighborhood as a stepping stone to their house they were buying. I wouldn't know, though, if there is anything available. There is also Charming Way, similar size houses , down the Nine.
my neighborhood is a mixture, mostly litvishe.

what someone said about not legal to rent for so many people, c'mon, how many of these basements are legal??? a very small fraction.

I don't think it's true that there aren't three bedroom basements, I see in Masa Umatan all the time.

cnc

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:46 pm
I know people in Stamford Meadows that would identify as heimish not chassidish.

sky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:53 pm
Lots of new homes are getting 3 bedroom apts (for example I think many in Somerset walk are that size).

If you think Coventry is small - most apartments are smaller then that , and I think coventry is much less claustrophobic then a basement.

Also consider sending children to play from a basement apt is much more difficult (I think) then having a small gated yard you can watch from the kitchen.

SRS

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:54 pm
I'm the one who mentioned legality. I have no idea how many of the apartments are legal rentals (I imagine it is a sad situation). But I do hope that people have homeowner's insurance that properly covers the risk. Bottom line, moving in 7 people into an apartment has its downside that that is why people don't rent to large families anywhere.

rikki 1

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 8:15 pm
to clarify: Lakeview and Charming Way are NOT basements, they are similar to Coventry but with basements.
how about Queens Gardens or the apt building on Cedarbridge, those are three bedroom apartments in apt buildings.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 8:44 pm
if you are renting for one year why does it matter where? when you buy you surely will go where you fit better. why would you mind at all its only short term.

stamford meadows is very new and the prices are great. even the basement. in harmony there are a lot of litvishe people. its a mixed crowd. ok 75%are chasidish but again its only
one year.

people would rather rent out an apartemtn to smaller families for long term. but I am sure you'll find as there ais a lot available. good luck on your move may you have alot ofmazel. meshane makom meshane mazel. welcome to lakewood!

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:03 pm
sky wrote:
Lots of new homes are getting 3 bedroom apts (for example I think many in Somerset walk are that size).

If you think Coventry is small - most apartments are smaller then that , and I think coventry is much less claustrophobic then a basement.

Also consider sending children to play from a basement apt is much more difficult (I think) then having a small gated yard you can watch from the kitchen.

You are correct. I live in a basement with kids who are old enough to play outside in a front yard with me supervising from inside but able to see them at all times (6+). But I live in a basement. So I have to go outside with them. I have tons to do at home but I have to watch them outside, so nothing got done. I would much rather live in a small townhouse than a basement but that's the reality of it.

Garden

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:34 pm
Maybe call the Westgate office. They offer pretty cheap rentals. I'm not sure if you can get a 3 bedroom but 4 bedrooms go for around $1425.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 11:04 pm
definitely try bsmts in cedarwood hills- a lot of pple renting 3 bedrooms plus a playroom and 2 bathrooms.. the question is if u can find someone willing to rent to a large family... depends how desperate they are to find a tenant... good luck
btw- the crowd moving there is really nice

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:39 am
Personally I don't think I would take a tenant, even with two kids, for just a year. The reason being is that a long term tenant takes better care of your apartment usually. If it's just a year, they may misuse things or break things cause they're leaving so why be careful... Maybe have a reference available who will vouch that you'll be careful with the property.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 11:51 am
[quote="amother"]Personally I don't think I would take a tenant, even with two kids, for just a year. The reason being is that a long term tenant takes better care of your apartment usually. If it's just a year, they may misuse things or break things cause they're leaving so why be careful... Maybe have a reference available who will vouch that you'll be careful with the property.[/quote]

if I get real desperate I would take someone with 5 kids but only if I get real desperate.

its too small for you anyway. and I want long term.

I had a tenant for 6 mths so there are such stuff out there. keep looking

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 6:25 pm
If you don't want to move to Coventry because of the 'scene', Williamsburg lane is a much quieter block. There are a lot of older families and the majority are simpler and more yeshivish than other circles in Coventry.
The homes in coventry are generally older, so the landlords aren't as nervous with wear and tear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating