Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Cincinnati zoo kills gorilla to save child
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:08 am
DH just showed me a petition signed by 300,000 people to prosecute the mother and get cps involved because of negligence.
Change.org

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:35 am
I saw now the video. I was to afraid to see it last night. I am traumatized from it!!! Sooooo scary!

Of course the right thing to do was to kill the gorilla! It was a unfortunate situation for the gorilla though. A miracle indeed that the kid is totally fine.

observer

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:46 am
Raisin wrote:
Gorillas sound almost exactly like humans. I guess we are a lot less picky when choosing a mate however, and a lot more able to tolerate stressful conditions.

We are less picky? Most of us wouldn't go for an "arranged marriage" like that lol!

causemommysaid

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:56 am
I am so disgusted with humanity right now. Our priorities are so distorted and human life has become cheap.

I cannot believe that people are getting so riled up about a gorilla. yeah its a shame that it had to die but what about the miracle that a child was saved? I would shoot every animal in every zoo in the world to save 1 child.

Do people eat chicken, beef, pork, duck, fish etc..? The only difference is the quantity of these animals. So because there are more chickens therefore it is ok to slay them by the millions to make chicken nuggets but to save a life how dare we kill a gorilla? These people are such hypocrites.

Also children can go missing in 3 seconds or less. The people vilifying the parents obviously never had an active toddler.

Make no mistake. This outcry will cost human lives. In the future if something similar happens elsewhere, those zookeepers or park rangers will hesitate to shoot and someone will die for this.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 11:03 am
observer wrote:
We are less picky? Most of us wouldn't go for an "arranged marriage" like that lol!

in some cultures its extremely common to have little choice over who your spouse is. As far as I know the refusal rate in such cultures is very low. Most people do marry and have kids, even if they are miserable.

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 11:11 am
Raisin wrote:
Gorillas sound almost exactly like humans. I guess we are a lot less picky when choosing a mate however, and a lot more able to tolerate stressful conditions. Even enslaved humans (eg black american slaves) reproduced well.

FTR I think the zoo did the right thing. Very very sad. I don't think this is anyone's fault and I'm not sure why there is a compulsion to blame someone. Accidents happen. Maybe fencing round enclosures can be improved.

Human reproductive cycles are also affected by stress. Cycles become erratic or stop altogether when people are subjected to stressful situations. I even saw a study done in Israel about babies born to Jews during the holocaust that suggested that babies conceived during times of stress were different than other babies - their fight or flight response was faster, leading to more issues later on caused by the bursts of adrenaline and the increased difficulty to cope calmly with stressful situations.

Slaves were often raped and forced or coerced to have s*x. They could threaten and coerce a slave into producing babies far more easily than anyone can force a gorilla to. Not that anyone would be dumb enough to try, because they'd end up dead.

Only a few crazies are arguing that the gorilla shouldn't have been shot. Mostly, people are upset at the situation and trying to redirect the anger and frustration SOMEWHERE. Most of all, the angry people feel guilt. Guilt that we forced an endangered animal to be in this kind of situation in the first place.

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 11:14 am
For those who hugged me, I totally disagree with the petition.
Maybe she should sue the zoo for insufficient safety measures and trauma to her son and herself.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 11:18 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Witnesses say the kid kept saying he wanted to go in the water, and the mom kept saying no. The kid then maneuvered through several different layers of fencing - probably a wall, some bushes, a fence, and jumped into the moat. The zoo says this kind of thing hasn't happened since 1978. So it's not like it common or easy. It's unfortunate all around and I'm glad that kid is ok, the gorilla was trying to protect the child but he wasn't being gentle, he was treating the boy the same way he'd treat a baby gorilla. Gorillas are crazy strong.

I still remember the time my niece, who was about 3 1/2 at the time, had a tantrum on the way back from the circus because she wanted my sister to buy her an elephant.

Just because the kid said he wanted to go into the water doesn't mean the mother thought he'd go ahead and do it! Kids say the zaniest, wackiest things (IIRC there was a whole thread here on imamother about the things our kids have wanted) and we don't necessarily think they would carry them out!

The enclosure should not have been penetrable to a child. Period.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Kids say the zaniest, wackiest things (IIRC there was a whole thread here on imamother about the things our kids have wanted) and we don't necessarily think they would carry them out!

This is the whole plot of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I want an Oompa Loompa, and I want it NOW!!!

becky55

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 2:47 pm
the zoo is it at fault one hundred percent in my opinion because there are two ways to have animal encounter one is to have bullet proof glass and the other is to have a moat that is dangerous enough that the animals cant get down there. how in heavens name did the gorilla get down 15 feet he is not meant to be able to get down there remember if he is able to get down than he can come up the other side and come visit you

Jeanette

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 4:48 pm
becky55 wrote:
the zoo is it at fault one hundred percent in my opinion because there are two ways to have animal encounter one is to have bullet proof glass and the other is to have a moat that is dangerous enough that the animals cant get down there. how in heavens name did the gorilla get down 15 feet he is not meant to be able to get down there remember if he is able to get down than he can come up the other side and come visit you

What are you talking about? The gorilla didn't climb anywhere. The child fell in.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 4:54 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Human reproductive cycles are also affected by stress. Cycles become erratic or stop altogether when people are subjected to stressful situations. I even saw a study done in Israel about babies born to Jews during the holocaust that suggested that babies conceived during times of stress were different than other babies - their fight or flight response was faster, leading to more issues later on caused by the bursts of adrenaline and the increased difficulty to cope calmly with stressful situations.

Slaves were often raped and forced or coerced to have s*x. They could threaten and coerce a slave into producing babies far more easily than anyone can force a gorilla to. Not that anyone would be dumb enough to try, because they'd end up dead.

Only a few crazies are arguing that the gorilla shouldn't have been shot. Mostly, people are upset at the situation and trying to redirect the anger and frustration SOMEWHERE. Most of all, the angry people feel guilt. Guilt that we forced an endangered animal to be in this kind of situation in the first place.

Yes, I agree. Species are endangered not because of careless parents but because of our modern lifestyle and excess consumerism which leads to loss of habitats for animals. But it is far easier to write nasty messages to this poor mother (not the father, mind you, who was also there) then to rethink your lifestyle.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 5:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Reports say he climbed the initial 3 foot barrier into the bushes and then he fell 15 feet down to the moat.

That has to be the only way, but falling from the barrier on to the bushes and then into the moat is like a "perfect storm" of events. There really is a huge amount of space and obstacles between the people and the animals (except for maybe the giraffes and the petting zoo....and of course the peacocks)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 5:25 pm
seeker wrote:
Anyone who talks about the mom being at fault: What if the "child" had been a 100+ lb adolescent with autism who loves animals, learns and engages a lot whenever he goes to the zoo, and can at times be unpredictable and hard to stop when he gets an idea in his head?

I'm on the side blaming the zoo for not adequately securing the enclosure (if you're going to blame anyone at all. And I think there is an argument to be made, but I don't know all the details. But if 3-foot barrier is correct... NOPE.)

It's a far way from the gorillas. There is a barrier (I don't know how tall). Then a whole lot of shrubbery and bushes. Maybe another fence past there, I can't remember, and then the moat, and then the rocks where the gorillas are usually hanging out, though they do wander down to the moat.

I was actually more scared at some of the big cat exhibits due to distance (there are still adequate barriers) than at the gorillas where they seemed very far to me.

They were amusing to watch, the poor kid probably wanted to be friends with them.

sourstix

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 8:28 pm
how is a 4 year old not afraid of a huge monstrosity like the gorilla? I would be terrified to go near the fence even. is this child really ok? has zero fear?

cupcake123

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 9:23 pm
shock gosh cant believe this animal life is valued more then human life

Scrabble123

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 9:44 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
shock gosh cant believe this animal life is valued more then human life

It was not valued more than human life. The zoo made the decision to kill the animal and save the child, taking into consideration gorilla behavior and the safety of the child.

It's only natural for people to look back on the incident, especially with the child being safe, and wonder if anything could have been done to save the gorilla as silver backs are endangered and he was apart of a breeding program. Still, the individuals involved maintain that they made the best choice which was killing the gorilla to save the child. It's sad that an animal had to be killed in what should have been a preventable situation, but most anyone values human life over that of an animal.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 9:45 pm
sourstix wrote:
how is a 4 year old not afraid of a huge monstrosity like the gorilla? I would be terrified to go near the fence even. is this child really ok? has zero fear?

Honestly, I don't find that odd at all. Children are used to seeing pets: dogs, cats, snakes, etc. as well as cartoons with cute talking gorillas and the like. Children have wild imaginations and are impulsive. The child was probably afraid when the gorilla was dragging him, bashing his head against the cement. The animals in the zoo look sweet as well, it's not like the gorilla was banging his chest like King Kong, frightening the visitors.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 9:50 pm
sourstix wrote:

I am also wondering how the boy is doing. He might have thought the gorilla was friendly (certainly seemed to be!) and his mother was so reassuring...I hope he's not traumatized!

But near the fence is a non-issue. It's really, really, really far from the gorillas. There is a LOT of space from where the visitors stand to where the gorillas live between the fence and shrubbery and down a hill to the moat and then up a rocky hill where the gorillas usually hang out.

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:06 pm
I'm very curious how the kids and parents are doing.

I can't stop thinking of the poor kid. I'm traumatized.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links