Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Drowsy but awake doesn't work

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 5:07 am
My 4 month old is very needy, and will not go to sleep on his own. I've tried everything that I did with my older kids and nothing is working. The old drowsy but awake thing doesn't work! He just works himself up and cries- and I mean legitimate crying, not Kvetching or fussing, and no way he can calm himself down at that point. He does stay asleep if he falls asleep on me and Dh and is transferred after sleeping, but now it's getting difficult to get him to fall asleep like that as he's not a newborn anymore. He doesn't take pacifier (we tried) and he does suck his fingers but seems to do so only for funfun, not soothing. What more can be done? I need him to go to sleep on his own!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 5:18 am
It could be a growth spurt, that always disrupts sleep patterns. He also might still be hungry, and need an extra feed right before bed. Full tummies make sleepy babies.

I hate the CIO concept, but a modified approach where you let him cry for a few minutes, reassure him, rinse, repeat, might work. It will take a few days. On the other hand, he may outgrow this phase, and it won't have anything to do with your reassurance, there's no way to really tell. White noise or soft music is worth a try, too. DD really liked a small fan in her room.

Does he act like anything is bothering him, like a stomach ache or an ear infection? Check his gums and see if he's teething. DD had two teeth in at 4 months!

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:44 am
4 months is too young for cio. We still rock our babies to sleep at that age and use the swing of car rides for naps if necessary.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 11:00 am
I don't believe in CIO, I'm just looking for ways to help him fall asleep more easily. He does have reflux, but it's being treated. He's happy when he's well rested (and obviously fed, clean, etc) so I think the medication is helping. He was born a little premature and spent a week in the NICU, but is otherwise fine. Swing is hit or miss, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I can't just drive around in the car every time, I have other kids. Rocking works, but every day it takes longer and longer, so I think he may be outgrowing it. I also want him to learn to fall asleep without too much help. Rigjt now, he cries within minutes of going down, even if he's tired and it's really time for sleep. It's not fussing- if it were, I'd leave him to fuss until falling asleep. It's real crying, so I have to pick him up. But he really has no idea how to just fall asleep.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 11:15 am
dancingqueen wrote:
4 months is too young for cio. We still rock our babies to sleep at that age and use the swing of car rides for naps if necessary.

My ped recommended a modified CIO. 10 minutes and then check. If crease with age.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:20 pm
It's definitely harder for babies to self soothe without a paci, which is why I pushed my baby to take one. If they don't take packs though eventually they get better at sucking on their fingers to self soothe. It'll pass, but ime the drowsy yet awake doesn't work this young.

agreer

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:29 pm
OMG I am having the same issue, altho my baby is younger.

I tried putting him in last shabbos when he was drowsy but awake. He slept for five minutes and promptly woke up.

I am so worried about him not being able to fall asleep on his own.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:48 pm
It can be a milk supply issue. I also have a four month old that was waking only 1 or 2 times a night and falling asleep easily. My supply is down for some reason--I think because I am dieting--and he can't fall asleep on his own anymore and is waking a bunch of times a night! I tried supplementing with formula during the day and BAM good sleep.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 1:12 pm
Definitely not supply. I have tons of milk. And he sleeps fine once he's actually asleep. Its just incredibly difficult to get him to sleep. And at night, when he wakes up to eat, he eats till he's full, but has trouble going back to sleep.

little_mage

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 3:21 pm
agreer wrote:
OMG I am having the same issue, altho my baby is younger.

I tried putting him in last shabbos when he was drowsy but awake. He slept for five minutes and promptly woke up.

I am so worried about him not being able to fall asleep on his own.

At under four months, I wouldn't worry. My oldest didn't fall asleep on his own until we forced it with CIO at about a year. Now, he does just fine. They do learn. Give it time.

agreer

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 1:51 pm
little_mage wrote:
At under four months, I wouldn't worry. My oldest didn't fall asleep on his own until we forced it with CIO at about a year. Now, he does just fine. They do learn. Give it time.

But he has such a hard time sleeping, which means I do, too....what am I supposed to do meanwhile?!?! I'm going craaaaazy!

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:11 pm
little_mage wrote:

I'm not worried about the baby's development, I'm worried about my ability to function. Give it time? How much time- till I crash my car?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics