Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much do you make as a school secretary?
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 4:45 pm
I make $1350 a month full time. Is this a normal wage? Should I be asking for more?

mfb

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 4:48 pm
How much does it come out to an hour?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 4:51 pm
$10

courage2218

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 5:15 pm
If you have been working there for over a year, maybe ask for a small raise. If not, maybe wait a bit or look for a job not in a school.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 5:18 pm
I was paid $10 an hour 18 years ago as an inexperienced school secretary. It was barely livable then and rent, food and everything else has gone up in price.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 5:23 pm
High school secretary. $1400 a month part time (morning). Come out a bit under 20 dollars an hour

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 5:31 pm
Elementary secretary plus other responsibilities as I get the job done, about 40 hours a week (come early, leave late) including summer, $30,000. I think I'm underpaid and I'm up for a raise soon.
It's not a rich school.
I also get a hefty tuition break.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 6:11 pm
$10 an hour for full-time work sounds really low. Do they give other benefits, like insurance and/or reduced tuition for your kids? I don't know how long you've been there, and what your skills and experience are, but it sounds like you're being underpaid.

ROFL

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 6:37 pm
[quote="amother"]Elementary secretary plus other responsibilities as I get the job done, about 40 hours a week (come early, leave late) including summer, $30,000. I think I'm underpaid and I'm up for a raise soon.
It's not a rich school.
I also get a hefty tuition break.[/quote

How much of a break do you get. That should be included in your salary. And that number if pre tax so it really is more money. You may not be underpaid if you look at it that way.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 6:54 pm
[quote="ROFL"]
amother wrote:
Elementary secretary plus other responsibilities as I get the job done, about 40 hours a week (come early, leave late) including summer, $30,000. I think I'm underpaid and I'm up for a raise soon.
It's not a rich school.

How much of a break do you get. That should be included in your salary. And that number if pre tax so it really is more money. You may not be underpaid if you look at it that way.

That was my initial thought too, but then there are plenty of people who get tuition breaks just for being poor. And we have no way of knowing whether or how much her husband makes. So I'm not sure if 30k + tuition breaks is any different than someone else who is underpaid or works at a part time or low level job and receives tuition breaks. I guess calling it a job benefit is different than calling it a charitable scholarship, but the bottom line is pretty similar.

sky

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:19 pm
hefty tution break. Is definitely part of your salary - plus tax free.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:07 pm
was making a little over $1300 a month for part time (about 22 hrs wk), technically did not include any benefits, although was eligible for insurance but would've basically be my entire paycheck. I left bec after I gave birth and would've had 2 kids in childcare it would' just about cover that with a little left over towards tuition.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:40 pm
What are some of the duties of a secretary in a religious school? Public schools around here have given up the title of secretary in order to use more descriptive titles that actually reflect the work done.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:42 pm
How do people survive on $10 an hour??

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:00 pm
[quote="ROFL"]
amother wrote:
It's not a rich school.

I actually got a bigger break before I worked here as my income was low and I got a nice scholarship.
I get 40% off

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:09 pm
sky wrote:
hefty tution break. Is definitely part of your salary - plus tax free.

ITA

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 1:00 am
School secretaries here in our Williamsburg community doesn't really pay as an office job. It has the advantages of being in a school setting with only female workers (usually) and is paid a bit more than teaching. So $10.00 and hour to my opinion is a little underpaid but $12.00 an hour would probably very nice and fear. It also really depends on the amount of years working and the experience you've gotten.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:23 pm
Laughing from this thread Smile
Did a search because looking for school secretary pay rates and came upon this old on.
Things have definitely changed since then.

If anyone could chime in with updated info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Emuna360

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:10 pm
Do you live in Detroit, or India? I haven't heard of such a thing. They wouldn't give a girl fresh out of seminary 10 bucks an hour in New York

amother
Canary

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:10 pm
Lol! Back then as a school secretary was making about that range as well!
These days I am the school secretary/principal assistant and am making around $40,000 for 20-23 hours a week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics