Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Knowledgeable about services in NJ

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 6:01 pm
I need to speak to someone who knows EVERYTHING about getting services for kids with special needs in NJ. Who can I talk to and how to get in touch? Thanks.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 6:59 pm
Where in NJ are you and what kinds of services are you looking for? I may be able to give you some info.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:09 pm
Not entirely sure. Teaneck, Passaic, Elizabeth, Edison, highland Park are all considerations. Seems YNJ is our best bet for school. We currently live in NY. The child in question has ADHD and mild ASD but is in a regular classroom and receives speech, ot, and PT 2 times a week each and also gets a counselor 3x a week to help with social skills.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:28 am
Bump

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:00 pm
Are you getting all of that paid for by the board of ed right now? Because you won't get it in NJ in a private school. Preschool or older? In preschool, you get more.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:05 pm
Yes it's all through the board of ed. He is starting K next year and we just got approved for all of it for next year. Dh wants to move to NJ after next school year. I want to research if it's doable. I don't mind if he'd get a little less, he's very high functioning. But he needs some services. Who can I talk to so I can get detailed answers?

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:11 pm
In NJ every district has different guidelines and different approval processes (as opposed to NY which is a unified district and has one huge BOE). Decide which district you'll be living in first, then talk to that particular BOE.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:26 pm
Every school district is different. You may get approved for some of those services, but in NJ,, most likely not all. If your child has an ASD diagnosis, you may do well to go through an agency that provides ABA therapy and they can bill insurance. You can get a lot of services like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics