Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Store owners taking advantage of my wic checks
1  2  Next

happyhub

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 1:52 am
does this happen to anyone else? I have wic checks and the store owner in my community fills in the amount it costs on the check or fills it in later , more than what the food actually costs and then does not give me all the food that I am entitled. Does he think I am stupid? I am so upset and I am afraid to confront him about it because he is really intimidating and im afraid if I make him upset he won't take my checks. What makes them think it is ok to steal and not give me what I am entitled. Im so frusterated.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 3:48 am
well don't you go to the counter with the "food" items indicated ... if not do so ... how could he take your stuff and then charge the gov't too ... either find a different place to shop ... demand your food ... or let them know you will tell some official ... they will cut off their WIC and do an investigation - which they just might do anyway if they are overcharging ...

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 4:23 am
Personally I would change stores. Even if a different store is less convenient. I wouldn't give business to a dishonest store owner - Jewish or not.

If this isn't possible, maybe go shopping with your husband and ask him to bring it up with the store owner. These kind of man-to-man talks are usually more effective.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 4:35 am
I used to get wic checks, and I found it so frustrating because NOTHING kosher was allowed in my stores..

Eventually I gave up... could only get cereal at one point, worthless

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 5:00 am
the kosher stores that accept WIC are supposed to make the stuff on the "checks" available ... or the point is moot!!!

justanothermother

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 5:30 am
Is there another store you can go to? Why give your business there? You can make an anonymous call to the WIC office to have him investigated, but I don't know it you want to go that far.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 6:59 am
you can't be moser on him.

faigie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:02 am
choc, this guy, is from what I am reading, literally stealing food from her mouth. I dont think this falls under the moser rules. but id consult a rav. something HAS to be done.

rainbow

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:11 am
OP, can you explain how it works in your grocery? Do you take exactly what is stated on your wic check?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:20 am
happyhub wrote:
I have wic checks and the store owner in my community fills in the amount it costs on the check or fills it in later , more than what the food actually costs

that's his cheshbon

happyhub wrote:
and then does not give me all the food that I am entitled.

Okay, that's something else. Stores don't like wic b/c they lose money.

Cinderella

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:22 am
chocolate moose wrote:
happyhub wrote:
I have wic checks and the store owner in my community fills in the amount it costs on the check or fills it in later , more than what the food actually costs

that's his cheshbon

How so, if someone isn't getting all the food that she should be getting?

rainbow

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:24 am
I still don't understand why you are not getting all the items listed on the wic check? Are you substituting them for other items?

shopaholic

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:33 am
Whatever amount he wants to write on the check is his problem - maybe his prices are higher than other people, but you defintely are entitled to whatever is on the check. If YOU decide to take 2 gallons of milk instead of 3, that your decision, not his.

cindy324

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 10:09 am
Firstly, WIC checks have written on them "not to exceed $xxx", so if you take an item that's listed on the check , he can write whatever amount he wants to up to the amount on the check. You are not losing anything that way, although the store owner is still stealing from the gov't if he writes more than he actually charges.

If you're grocery allows you buy whatever you want and gives you store credit for all the checks you give them, than typically they will take 30% off the total value of the checks and keep it for themselves. Not very honest but it's a known practice.

faigie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 10:40 am
ok. im officially horrified.
a frum man will take 30% for himself, and this money will not be able to be used by the person who needs it???? she in effect has to kick back 30% of what the gvt gives her?
im totally horrified.
mamesh taking bread out of another yids mouth????????
and we sit and wonder why there is no masheach???????????????
........id shop in pathmark or the like. I am done.

cindy324

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 10:53 am
Yep, faigie...you got it exactly right.

Many heimishe groceries allow you to take whatever you want (which is already illegal), BUT you gotta give up 30% of the total.

IF you take exactly the items on the checks, then there's nothing to talk about, except that the shopkeeper in this instance is obviously charging the gov't 30% more (or who knows?)by writing in a higher amount... Mad

faigie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 11:18 am
so lets say the shopkeeper takes her checks, and allows her to take whatever she needs to buy........
anyway the man is going to get his money back from the gvt. so why in the world does he take 30% off from her merchandise allotment?

rainbow

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 11:20 am
faigie wrote:
ok. im officially horrified.
a frum man will take 30% for himself, and this money will not be able to be used by the person who needs it???? she in effect has to kick back 30% of what the gvt gives her?
im totally horrified.
mamesh taking bread out of another yids mouth????????
and we sit and wonder why there is no masheach???????????????
........id shop in pathmark or the like. I am done.

I am more outraged at the women who don't take the items listed on the check. Then blame the shop owner for cheating the gov't.

faigie

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 11:22 am
cheating govt=bad
cheating fellow yid...........off the charts

amother

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 11:24 am
Yes why should he Cheat and get in trouble for the lady? He is taking a risk and will have to deal with it. Thats what he is getting paid for. This is a decision the buyer is making.
Bottom line its all wrong and both can get into alot of trouble. (Its like telling a store owner you are not filing the sales tax then give me the money back..)

The OP got everything that was listed on her check (I believe thats how it works) if he wanted to steal from the govt its his business. She cant expect he should steal for her.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics