Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
ISO marinara sauce recipe with fresh tomatoes

bashinda

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:18 am
anyone have a marinara sauce recipe which uses fresh tomatoes. What I've read so far is that I need to blanch them and get rid of the peel and the seeds. I thought the sauce would call for tomato sauce and tomato paste so I don't have cans of crushed / diced tomato around which all the recipes I've seen call for.

Thanks in advance!

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 7:29 am
it's a sauce ... my own recipe ... put in food processor tomatoes, an onion, lots of garlic cloves, cook in pan with olive oil and some salt, black pepper, oregeno, and garlic powder, use like any pasta sauce - not as thick and red ... but definately yum ...

bashinda

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 9:01 am
thanks but I'm looking for a thick and red sauce so DH doesn't realize I didn't buy the usual one I get at the store.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 9:57 am
it's very very hard to imitate a store bought brand.

bashinda

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 10:29 am
It doesn't have to be perfect but something that reasonably replicates it. I think I'm going to make the meat sauce I have from the 30-day gourmet book without the meat and freeze it in one cup portions and voila. If it's really not working I can alwayas go back to getting the jarred sauces but what did people do before jarred sauces anyway? I guess expectations in cooking were different then.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 10:31 am
store bought sauces probably put dye for the redness and homemade fresh is way tastier ... you should be more worried that he will always want the homemade ...

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 10:57 am
This is the one I make. I substitute fresh tomatoes for the canned. I still use the tomato paste. It's really yummy. The best is to take this sauce and then use it in a minestrone soup. You'll have the best soup ever.

I substitute as follows...
1 cup (8 oz.) canned tomatoes = 1-1/3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, simmered 10 minutes

1 (28 oz.) can Italian tomatoes
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
4 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 tbsp. olive oil
2/3 c. diced onion
1/2 c. dry white wine (optional)

Place tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, parsley, garlic,
oregano, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor
container. Process until smooth. Heat olive oil in a 12
inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute 2
minutes. Add tomato mixture and wine. Reduce heat and
simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yields 4 cups.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 10:58 am
Oh and also I usually make a lot at once and freeze in separate ziploc bags.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 2:29 pm
the shuk has the jarred vitaroz sauce in sev. flavors for about 1.19. it's cheaper than making your own.

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 3:15 pm
I like the taste of homemade tomato sauce. They do sell jarred sauce here but it is so expensive, and I don't really like it. It is really easy to make your own. I make using onion, garlic, mushrooms if you like, tinned chopped tomatoes, and tomatoe puree (paste). You could use fresh instead of canned tomaotes, but make sure to add puree for the thick texture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics