Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
How did you do milchigs/fleishigs?
1  2  Next

Are your Shavuos meals Fleishig or Milchig?
All milchig  
 18%  [ 17 ]
All fleishig (with maybe Milchig Kiddush)  
 37%  [ 35 ]
Milchig at night, Fleishig by day  
 14%  [ 14 ]
Some of each, with no clear rhyme or reason  
 29%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 94

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:22 pm
I'm just curious what most people do for Shavuos in terms of balancing milchigs and fleishigs.

I know that some people do all fleishig meals because it's still Yom Tov and they feel Yom Tov must be fleishig and just do a milchig Kiddush one or both days, while others do all milchig meals the whole Yom Tov, and some do milchig at night when it's late and hard to eat heavy fleishigs and then fleishig by day. And some switch around from year to year.

What do you do, and why? Also, who decided this arrangement - you, DH, or some sort of compromise?

rachel6543

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:23 pm
All meals dairy in my house for Shavout. Yum! Per request from my husband.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:28 pm
I usually do one of each (we are in Israel and keep one day). That way we still have some meat on yom tov. I love cooking milchigs - it's a real treat to use whipping cream, butter etc. - everything tastes amazing.

I would usually do a milchig night meal especially when it's a motzei shabbos, but this year we were out for that meal (fleishigs) and so had milchigs (with guests) for the day meal. I might start doing milchigs in the day every year as with small kids I find it's easier to have guests in the day and I for sure want to have milchigs for our 'guest meal'.

Last edited by AlwaysThinking on Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:28 pm
My husband prefers fleishig so we did all fleishig except for one milchig lunch

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:37 pm
We did all dairy with some pareve options. I decide menus in our house- my husband doesn't like discussing and he knows that I know what he likes and doesn't like. He has no idea what's being served until he comes to the table ( unless I send him to do some shopping). I don't think you need meat to Make Shabbat or yomtov special. We often have nice dairy meals on Shabbos. I will do meat this Shabbos though because we have had a lot of dairy/fish.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:39 pm
First day we had cake and cheesecake for breakfast with coffee and then had lunch later in the day. I didn't love it so the second day we had more of an appetizer of different cheeses and crackers with some cheesecake also. Then proceeded to the rest of the meal. I like the second way better.

DH will not eat milchigs on yomtov. I made a pareve meal and he tolerated it because he could warm up meat leftovers afterwards. To him yomtov is meat its too ingrained to change at this point.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:44 pm
Shavout = milchigs for us.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 4:05 pm
Dairy kiddish by day then a fleishig meal after( we take a break because out tummies are full). Our guest all prefer fleishig meals.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 4:14 pm
Absolutely no rhyme or reason. I do what I want, when I want. My husband has no say. I do the cooking and the menu planning. If he stated a preference, of course I would listen to him.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 4:25 pm
We have meat at night and dairy during the day, though some years we do two dairy day meals and some years one dairy and one meat meal during the daytime.
No rhyme or reason Smile

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 4:45 pm
I would have done the last, but there is rhyme or reason to it (or as I prefer to say, though this be madness, etc.)
Shabbos was regular. Our night meal was fleishigs. If people wanted milchig for Kiddush, they were welcome to it. The other meals were fleishigs. Sometimes, during three day yomim tovim that aren't Shavuos we do a lighter meal - have a little meat in the entrée, and then fish for the main course. It was tempting but I decided not to.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 4:55 pm
We do first night dairy, so my husband can have coffee. The rest of the meals are meat.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 4:58 pm
If it was just us we would have done fleishigs for shabbos and one meal on Shavuos. But we had my in laws over and my BIL is lactose intolerant and they're all on diets anyway so rich dairy meals would not have been appreciated. So we did pareve/dairy on m"s and Sunday night because no one wanted to eat a heavy fleishig meal so late and fleishigs the rest of the meals.

DH and I plan the menu together and then divide up what we each will make and what we will ask his mother to bring (she always volunteers). This year my single brother came also, so my mother sent us something as well. We've learned from past years that we always end up making too much food, so we plan the last lunch to be a leftovers meal.

sky

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:15 pm
first night of shavous is milchig so that men can drink coffee LOL . My Dh's father and grandfather did this way - not sure how it started - something to do with a heavy meat meal makes you sleepy and harder to stay up.
Rest of meals are meat- DH likes to eat kzayis of "red meat" at every meal except the first night of shavous.

eschaya

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:38 pm
Fleishigs both night meals, milchigs both days. Interesting that you had the opposite as an option, but not this way.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:53 pm
sky wrote:
first night of shavous is milchig so that men can drink coffee LOL . My Dh's father and grandfather did this way - not sure how it started - something to do with a heavy meat meal makes you sleepy and harder to stay up.
Rest of meals are meat- DH likes to eat kzayis of "red meat" at every meal except the first night of shavous.

So interesting. Why red meat davka?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:55 pm
We had some chicken left over from Shabbos, so I reheated it in the crock pot and we ate it for first day yomtov lunch. Otherwise all our meals would have been milchik this Shavuos.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:06 pm
First day meal s always dairy around here. The rest is fleishig or pareve.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:13 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
So interesting. Why red meat davka?

Its brought down that:
Women get enjoyment in yom tov from new clothing and jewelry
Men get enjoyment in yom tov from wine and meat.

Shavous is the only yom tov that is truly for us, meaning that we should fully enjoy the food and drinks.

(On the shalosh regalim we serve meat and better wine at every meal and once a day on chol hamoed.)

momX4

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:49 pm
We like meat and I only serve it during day meals. So far we have done one dairy meal at night and we have discussed the possibility of having both night meals dairy next year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics