Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Help! Sleep away camp leaving tomorrow and...

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 6:01 pm
My 11 year old daughter probably has mono! Sore throat for a few weeks, extremely tired and weak. Not sure what to do? If I send her to camp she will be so homesick from having to rest, missing out on activities etc..if she stays home she will be so sad that she missed camp..not an option to send her for second month as there is probably no room and she will not have friends..What should we do?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:
My 11 year old daughter probably has mono! Sore throat for a few weeks, extremely tired and weak. Not sure what to do? If I send her to camp she will be so homesick from having to rest, missing out on activities etc..if she stays home she will be so sad that she missed camp..not an option to send her for second month as there is probably no room and she will not have friends..What should we do?

Hug
That is so hard!!
Speak to her pediatrician first to get some direction, and then follow that call with one to the camp director and camp nurse.
Hopefully, the right educated decision can be made.
Hug

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:31 am
well you don't want her in camp sick ...

wait till you know results from any tests

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:36 am
Speak to your pediatrician. See what he/she says. Also speak to the camp and see what support they may have in place for your child.

I sent my child to camp when she was recovering from Mono - but at a later point - she really had the virus in May, and I sent her 2nd half. She was also older than your DD at the time - 15. She was still recovering but she enjoyed going with her friends, and she was able to keep up with most of the fun. When she didn't feel well, she checked herself into the infirmary for the night to get some rest (TC bunkhouses can pull all nighters with lots of noise.....).

My DD's pediatrician (Dr Shanik of Lakewood) recommended that she keep as normal a schedule as possible, but go on a high protein high fluids diet with rest when needed. Check that camp will have lots of protein and that your DD will eat it! Send lots of water bottles - my DD went thru several water bottles a day - the recovery made her very, very thirsty.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:24 pm
Does she have it or not? Generally blood test results come back within a day.

Either way, she's not feeling well. I would alert the camp doctor. See what (s)he says.

heidi

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:33 pm
Isn't mono contagious?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:14 pm
heidi wrote:
Isn't mono contagious?
Only when the virus is live. Usually by the time you get a diagnosis, you find out that you "had" mono, that the dead virus is present in the blood, and it's no longer contagious. That was our experience. The symptoms far outlast the actual disease, though.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 1:23 pm
Why don't you first find out if it's mono I wouldn't do anything before a diagnosis and speak to the doctor and also if she's so weak how can she even enjoy camp? Dh had it it's extremely hard to even get up and the long naps are essential for the body to recuperate she can go next year when she's feeling well she's so young she has more yrs to enjoy camp. Me if my kid was that sick I wouldn't think twice maybe she can go for a shabbos when she's feeling better

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:19 pm
Op here. I took her to the Dr. This morning and Dr. Said blood work showed very low vitamin d. Which can have same symptoms as mono. I sent her with the vitamin d to camp, hopefully it's just that. I will find out on Thursday if it's also mono. Dr. Said to definitely send her to camp. She's complaining since pesach, so by now it is definitely not contagious if it is indeed mono...

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 8:47 pm
I hope that she enjoys it a lot!!! Just make sure that she takes it easy and doesn't overdo herself. I would call the camp office and explain the situation just in case she doesn't feel great and can't participate in all of the activities. Many camps are strict about being part of all of the activities, but if she doesn't feel up to it then she should be able to opt out.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. I took her to the Dr. This morning and Dr. Said blood work showed very low vitamin d. Which can have same symptoms as mono. I sent her with the vitamin d to camp, hopefully it's just that. I will find out on Thursday if it's also mono. Dr. Said to definitely send her to camp. She's complaining since pesach, so by now it is definitely not contagious if it is indeed mono...

Did she have any other symptoms?? I just went with my dd to Doctor because she's complaining of headache tummy ache and generally not herself I was concerned if it's chsvs Lyme disease, blood test results were low vitamin D level.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children