Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vancouver bc?

strawberry cola

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 8:02 pm
Does anyone have information about vacationing in Vancouver? Is there a shul? Are there kosher resources? Recommended lodging?
Thanks in advance for any leads.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 8:52 pm
There is a shul and a few restaurants and it's a beautiful city- would recommend googling for a few minutes and you will find the shul and restaurant infi

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:47 am
I live there and am happy to answer questions.
Check out these links for some info to start:
http://thekollel.com/resources-links
https://www.maplegrill.com

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:19 am
Where is the best place to stay Shabbos if yiu want a minyan both Friday night and a Shabbos?

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 1:16 am
Google the Shuls then find lodging nearby. The shuls always have minyanim since they members of the community daven there. It's a nice place.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 1:32 am
Updated link
http://thekollel.com/about/resources

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 1:44 am
If you stay within walking distance to the Kollel we have minyanim Friday night, Shabbos day and Shabbos mincha maariv. We also have minyanim for shachris, mincha, and maariv daily.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:59 am
I was never in Vancouver is it nicer to stay near the Kollel or downtown Vancouver or should we go to a Victoria for Shabbos?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:13 am
amother wrote:
I was never in Vancouver is it nicer to stay near the Kollel or downtown Vancouver or should we go to a Victoria for Shabbos?

here is more information on your options (includes non chabad listings)

http://www.lubavitchbc.com/tem.....n.htm

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:48 am
I don't know of a community in Victoria. It's a nice place to visit.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 7:54 am
There is a Chabad in Victoria. A friend of mine spent Shabbos there and reported having a lovely time. Vancouver is a much larger community with more options.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 7:59 am
I understand Vancouver is a large city but its hard to determine which area to stay for Shabbos if you were never there.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
I understand Vancouver is a large city but its hard to determine which area to stay for Shabbos if you were never there.

how do you like to spend your Shabbos?

Is going to a chabad minyan (for a mainly not chabad community) something that you'd consider, or is it preferable for you to be near a kollel? Would you consider being somewhere without a minyan?

What is your priority?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:18 am
Minyan a must. I am open to what kind of minyan. But I would like to be in a nice area because Shabbos is long.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 11:08 am
amother wrote:
Minyan a must. I am open to what kind of minyan. But I would like to be in a nice area because Shabbos is long.

I would enjoy spending Shabbat (or a few hours of Shabbat) walking around http://granvilleisland.com/ Its in Vancouver and walking distance from both Downtown and Kollel area.

downtown Victoria is 35 minutes from the Chabad - but its definitely more 'in the middle of nowwhere' than the Kollel in Vancouver (or the Downtown Chabad in Vancouver).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:32 pm
The kollel is an outreach community and has around 80 people every Friday from all walks of life for Shabbos dinner. Around 60 for Shabbos day and there is a full meal at noon after davening. Tourist often join for both meals as some prefer to eat with a community instead of a hotel room. Those who want to eat alone at their hotel can order Shabbos food take out from Maple Grill. The kollel is walking distance to many hotels in downtown (though downtown is not in the eruv). It is walking distance to the beaches, Granville island and some parks as well for Shabbos afternoon walks.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:31 pm
I checked Granville Island is a 25 minute walk to the kollel
What is near the Chabad in Victoria?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
I checked Granville Island is a 25 minute walk to the kollel
What is near the Chabad in Victoria?

35 minute walk to downtown.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:31 pm
Accommodations can be very expensive in downtown Vancouver. We are planning to be there for a Shabbos IMH and booked an Airbnb that is a 2 minute walk from Congregation Schara Tzedeck (3476 Oak St.) It will fit up to 6 people. Let me know if you want the info and I'll be happy to post a link. There is VanDusen Botanical Gardens within walking distance. I asked my Rav and he said I could arrange to buy tickets in advance so that we can walk the gardens on Shabbos. I have the name of the person to contact at the garden if you are interested. Queen Elizabeth Park (free) is also within walking distance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics