Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Yated Childrens Story Anti-anti-vax
1  2  3  Next

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 11:01 am
So basically the story is about a Mom who doesn't vax & her 16 yo daughter can't go on an extreme trip which includes Pakistan or Afghanistan... as Mom is trying to explain her POV to the pediatrician & convince him to sign off on the medical form, a child in the office turns blue from pertussis & Hatzalah is called, & the Mom decides to vax all her kids.

1. Nobody changes her mind after 16 years because of one incident.
2. Why are they trying to brainwash kids (remember this is in the KIDS section) about this?

This conversation is not about how wrong anti-vaxers are. It's along the lines of marketing sugar and toys & technology to kids (e.g. via prize brochures for tzedakah etc, see another article, I forget where).

I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my subscription.

kb

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 11:22 am
No but it still shows the kids that vaccines are important.... which might help them in general.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:37 pm
I think it is ok as it is opening their eyes to why parents or others shouldn't lie. Especially on forms. It can kill.

And would you feel the same if it was about a woman who suddenly decides to not vax after one incident?

And yes, people do change decades held beliefs in a minute. Seeing something like that changes you. See with those stories of people who became BTs after one incident...

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:40 pm
I think it was a brilliant move.

Sometimes kids really are smarter than their parents.

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:40 pm
I didn't see the arrival, but I think it's smart to write about it. If you educate the kids about how their parents are putting their lives in danger, perhaps some of them will request or demand to be vaccinated. Which is a good thing.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:41 pm
Interest. Pertussis is not fatal past three months let alone at 16. They could have at least been more realistic.

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Interest. Pertussis is not fatal past three months let alone at 16. They could have at least been more realistic.

The child with pertussis was from a different family, not this 16 year old.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:

Untrue. I have friends from the "pre-vax" generation who saw their siblings and childhood friend die from pertussis, lo aleinu.

nywife

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:34 pm
removed.

Last edited by nywife on Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:40 pm
nywife wrote:
(removed as per poster's request)

It's not an important part of the story, which is likely fiction anyway, and just written to prove a point or provide awareness.

Last edited by Maya on Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

nywife

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:51 pm
Maya wrote:
It's not an important part of the story, which is likely fiction anyway, and just written to prove a point or provide awareness.

removed.

Last edited by nywife on Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:52 pm
nywife wrote:
(removed as per poster request)

The message is not bogus.

Last edited by Maya on Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

nywife

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:59 pm
Maya wrote:
The message is not bogus.

I'm so sorry. I was completely misreading the OP.
I was thinking about the famous peach story where a woman is sitting in the waiting room at her pediatrician and hatzalah runs in with a kid who wasn't breathing and hatzalah says "he was just vaccinated!"....

My apologies. I'd appreciate if you could remove my quotes you posted, I don't want anyone furthering that agenda.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:09 pm
Okay, but let's turn the story around. Let's say an author wants to make a point e.g. parents who deprive their kids of junk food will be trading their whole wheat brownies for junk anyhow.

Does this idea belong in the kids' section so the parents' efforts can be undermined?

See, usually a kids' story is trying to teach kids about a middah etc. Why are they suddenly making a point about something that is up to the parents?

So can we please talk about this in a theoretical way and not about shots?

farina

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:31 pm
I vaccinate my children but as I was reading this story I wondered how someone who doesn't, feels About having their beliefs turned into a kids story like this portraying them as totally wrong .I wouldn't want my kids to read this if I was a mom who doesn't vax

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:46 pm
Well this is the Yated we're talking about.

The same way they portray the Democrats as the crazies who will destroy the world and fearmonger their readership into supporting the saintly heilig Republicans, while kvetching about how biased all the other newspapers are, well, once they take a position that's what you're gonna see and read.

If you don't like one-sided newspapers, don't read it.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 6:32 pm
I think topics that undermine parents decisions to do what others/the gov. wants is completely wrong to write in childrens column/story.
how were the communists better? they used the same methods. 'educate' the kids while undermining the parents.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 6:44 pm
You are all going to write to the editor, right?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 7:52 pm
I take these stories with a grain of salt and many times I don't even believe them especially if there seems to be an agenda. Newspapers and magazines are notorious for taking things out of context and changing details to support whatever they're trying to portray. Many of these stories sound like propoganda to me. I'm not saying there isn't any truth to the story, but I'm sure there are details and some important context that's being left out.

I also don't think it's an appropriate article for a children's magazine. It's scary and children might have nightmares about it. It's anxiety provoking. I don't like it. I vax btw.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 5:57 am
amother jetblack, this was fiction in the family section, written by a talented, entertaining woman who has to make a weekly deadline and felt that this was a story worth telling.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics