Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Yated Childrens Story Anti-anti-vax
Previous  1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 1:19 pm
Vax or no vax, isn't anyone worried that the kid will be in Pakistan or Afghanistan? shock

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 1:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Vax or no vax, isn't anyone worried that the kid will be in Pakistan or Afghanistan? shock

It was Azerbaijan. Feel better now?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 2:06 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Good point.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 2:41 pm
Sometimes children can be the voice of reason. My niece would shriek at my brother if he didn't fasten his seat belt. |-)

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 3:16 pm
Quote:
It was Azerbaijan. Feel better now?
Wow, thanks, PF. I couldn't remember the details... Is Azerbaijan as primitive as the others though? In terms of yellow fever, malaria... don't you need lots of extra shots for those places (assuming you believe in shots)?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 7:13 pm
Just makes us look stupid, in the eyes of the anti-vaxers. Do we really have no way of fighting back than by pitting children against their parents? A so called frum paper that preaches Chutzpa instead Kibud Av no longer has place in my home

BasMelech120

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 9:29 pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with showing children that there are often many sides to an issue - in this case, vaccinations - and that there may be repercussions either way. If the content is something that OP strongly opposes or thinks differently about, she has the option of having an open conversation about it with her kids, perhaps using the article as an opening for the discussion or as the theme of the talk. And of course, cancelling a subscription is always an option if the material was indeed so inappropriate or out of place.

farm

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 3:28 pm
I canceled my subscription a few years ago when their insane pro motzeitza b'peh campaign was in full force and one week the article flat out denied the germ theory. And yes, I wrote a letter to the editor informing him of the reason for my subscription cancellation.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 3:57 pm
while we are on the subject of kids stories why does the ami kids have had 2 stories on the back page about kidnapping?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 4:11 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
while we are on the subject of kids stories why does the ami kids have had 2 stories on the back page about kidnapping?

Good question

sequoia

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 4:21 pm
Azerbaijan is not a third-world country.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 6:37 pm
sequoia wrote:
Azerbaijan is not a third-world country.

True... but it is also 98% majority Muslim. There are fewer than .01% Jews living there.

From Wikipedia:
A report by an Amnesty International researcher in October 2015 points to '...the severe deterioration of human rights in Azerbaijan over the past few years. Sadly Azerbaijan has been allowed to get away with unprecedented levels of repression and in the process almost wipe out its civil society'.[267] Amnesty's 2015/16 annual report[268] on the country stated ' ... persecution of political dissent continued. Human rights organizations remained unable to resume their work. At least 18 prisoners of conscience remained in detention at the end of the year. Reprisals against independent journalists and activists persisted both in the country and abroad, while their family members also faced harassment and arrests. International human rights monitors were barred and expelled from the country. Reports of torture and other ill-treatment persisted.'

I don't think I'll be sending my DD there anytime soon, even though the Caucus mountains are stunning. I've always thought that it was beautiful country.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 6:41 pm
rainbow dash wrote:

And the mystery thrillers. They were great and enthralling, but even I found myself creeped out by the plots. Baby trafficking, murders, abductions, a young participant of the witness protection program being chased... A bit much for 8 year old kids!

sequoia

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 7:00 pm
Most are nominal Muslims. In urban areas, the hijab is not worn, alcohol is sold, and attitudes to dating and relationships are largely Western.

The problems you describe are endemic to most post-Soviet states, unfortunately. Nonetheless, Azerbaijan remains one of the most educated and moderate Muslim-majority countries in the world.

Not that anyone should move there; it's just that a tourist trip to Baku is hardly a dangerous venture, unless you're Armenian.* And you're certainly not going to catch yellow fever or malaria!

*Who wants to send them the Kardashians?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:36 am
sequoia wrote:
Most are nominal Muslims. In urban areas, the hijab is not worn, alcohol is sold, and attitudes to dating and relationships are largely Western.

The problems you describe are endemic to most post-Soviet states, unfortunately. Nonetheless, Azerbaijan remains one of the most educated and moderate Muslim-majority countries in the world.

Not that anyone should move there; it's just that a tourist trip to Baku is hardly a dangerous venture, unless you're Armenian.* And you're certainly not going to catch yellow fever or malaria!

*Who wants to send them the Kardashians?

When my great grandmother heard that I was going to get my ears pierced, she was horrified. She kept saying "No, no! People will think you're Armenian!"

I was 12 at the time, and had no idea what she was going on about. All I knew was that she was worried about "what the neighbors will think". I guess some things never change. Confused

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 2:41 pm
I came across this old post. You will never get the perfect magazine you always need to browse thru paper magazines to see if something is not your liking, some are to violent, or other things that I might not be good for your family or even a particular. Being said that we stopped several publications. Some we kept but we have to tear a story before giving kids. There is no perfect reading material because as it says, like their faces are different their opinions are also different"

One example, there was a report about a well know wonderful talented person who helps a lot for Ydden in Washington and advocates around the world, someone I really look up. There was something innocent there that he sleeps like 4 hours a night and that's something very not good for one of my children to hear. So everyone has to skim thru and remove what they don't like.

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 21 2018, 6:44 pm
oh well Sad
I thought that sequoia was back.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 7:20 am
I'm pro chosen vax, and don't know Yated personally, but the stories and horrible pics always make me run and roll my eyes

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
I came across this old post. You will never get the perfect magazine you always need to browse thru paper magazines to see if something is not your liking, some are to violent, or other things that I might not be good for your family or even a particular. Being said that we stopped several publications. Some we kept but we have to tear a story before giving kids. There is no perfect reading material because as it says, like their faces are different their opinions are also different"

One example, there was a report about a well know wonderful talented person who helps a lot for Ydden in Washington and advocates around the world, someone I really look up. There was something innocent there that he sleeps like 4 hours a night and that's something very not good for one of my children to hear. So everyone has to skim thru and remove what they don't like.

I dont think it's healthy to remove every single sentence you might not agree with.
It is much healthier to let your kids read it, and then discuss after. Over censorship leads to a stilted mind.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 22 2018, 10:44 am
I have no problem with my kids reading pro-vax propaganda, they come back to discuss it with me and have a good laugh at the insanity.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics